• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

FYI - Press Release

Help Support Ranchers.net:

OldDog/NewTricks

Reaction score
The press release is also included in this message for those who can not
access attachments from this office.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Contact: Emily Robinson (202)
331-5427
Tuesday, March 7, 2006 Rich Hayes
(202) 316-4757
Study Finds More Good Fats in Grass-fed Beef and Dairy
Pasture Production Better for the Environment,
Higher in Omega-3 Fatty Acids than Conventional Beef and Milk

CHICAGO, March 7 - The Union of Concerned Scientists today released the first comprehensive study that confirms that beef and milk from animals raised entirely on pasture have higher levels than conventionally raised beef and dairy cattle of beneficial fats that may prevent heart disease and strengthen the immune system. The study also shows that grass-fed meat is often leaner than most supermarket beef, and raising cattle on grass can reduce water pollution and the risk of antibiotic-resistant diseases.

"When you eat grass-fed meat, you're getting beef with benefits," said report author Dr. Kate Clancy, a nutritionist and senior scientist in the Food and Environment Program at UCS. "There are no losers in producing cattle entirely on pasture. Farmers win, consumers win, the environment wins, and even the cattle win."

Greener Pastures: How Grass-fed Beef and Milk Contribute to Healthy Eating is the first study to synthesize the findings of virtually every English-language study (25 were chosen for analysis) comparing the amounts of total fats, saturated fats, omega-3 fatty acids, and conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) in both pasture-raised and conventionally raised beef and dairy cattle. The report also combines analyses on the nutrition, environmental, and public health benefits of grass-based farming techniques.

The report found that grass-fed beef and milk contain higher levels of
omega-3-fatty acids, the so-called beneficial fats. Grass-fed milk tends
to be higher in an omega-3-fatty acid called alpha-linolenic acid (ALA)
that scientists have demonstrated reduces the risk of heart disease.
Both grass-fed milk and ground beef are also higher in CLA, a fatty acid
shown in animal studies to protect against cancer. While the levels
found are relatively small on a per serving basis, they may be beneficial and merit further research.

"Raising cattle on pasture is essential to maintaining higher levels of
good fats," said Clancy. "Even partially replacing grass with grain can
reduce the levels of beneficial fatty acids in meat and milk."

Pasture-raised cattle fertilize land with their manure in amounts that
the soil can safely absorb. In contrast, thousands of beef cattle crammed in industrial feedlot operations generate many tons of manure that can harm local water supplies and fish populations. Confined cattle, which are fed large amounts of grain (especially corn), are also prone to disease, which leads most feedlot operators to routinely administer antibiotics to prevent illness and accelerate growth. Cattle that are allowed to eat their natural diet, on the other hand, are healthier and need fewer antibiotics, which protects the human population from antibiotic-resistant diseases.

"The grass is truly greener when it comes to grass-fed beef and dairy,"
said Clancy.

Pasture-based meat production is a fledgling industry, but milk products
can often be found at co-ops, larger natural food chain stores, and in
some supermarkets; and grass-fed beef products can be found at farmers' markets, via the Internet, and from local producers. UCS suggests consumers ask their supermarket managers to carry these products. Increasing demand can encourage greater adoption of grass-fed production methods and keep more small farmers and ranchers on the land.

"Buying grass-fed meat and milk is like driving a hybrid car," said Dr.
Margaret Mellon, Director of UCS's Food and Environment Program. "Not
only is it good for you, it's better for your neighbors and better for
the country. We encourage families to seek out pasture-raised meat and
milk."

NOTE: If you are unable to listen to the telephone press conference, a
recording will be available from 2:00pm EST, March 7, until 11:59pm EST, March 8. The toll free number to call for the recording is (888)
266-2081, and the Access Code is 867493.

The new report can be found on the UCS website at http://www.ucsusa.org. Formed in 1969, UCS is a nonprofit partnership of scientists and citizens combining rigorous scientific analysis, innovative policy development, and effective citizen advocacy to achieve practical environmental solutions.

http://www.ucsusa.org[/url]

Gee, who'da thunk it? Beef, milk, poultry, pork, all reared and raised on grass grown on healthy well-balanced soil is healthier than that which is raised in confinement on man-made or manufactured feed and by-products. Isn't that somethin'? It's sure good them scientists were here! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

This is exactly what Dr. William Albrecht and many others have been saying for DECADES!! Dr. Albrecht was teaching this theory in the 50's at the University of Missouri. He stressed that we needed to stay away from chemical fertilizers and chemical, maufactured-type farming practices, for the sake of our own health and well-being. Charles Walters who founded ACRES USA ( www.acresusa.com ) has been preaching the work and research of Dr. Albrecht for years, but some scientists think they're onto something NOW??!

People who have stayed the course with eco-friendly farming and ranching practices have been pushed to the fringe for years, almost thought of and talked about as rogues. When in actual fact, they were always producing the healthier food! Far too many of us have gotten so wrapped up in breeding the biggest dam calves with the biggest dam weaning weights, or growing cheaper feed and this and that, that we've forgotten what our main objective is as farmers and ranchers......WE ARE FOOD PRODUCERS FOR THE REST OF THE PLANET!

And as such it is our responsibility to make sure that food is as healthy as it can possibly be. Have we done that? NO. Do we know how healthy our beef is? NO. We MIGHT know that our animals have large rib-eyes, or marble well, taste good, etc. But, we do not take the steps to ensure that it is HEALTHY. Is our food tested for nutrient density? No. I'm as guilty as anyone else, but I'm trying to get to the point where I can tell people with confidence that my beef is high in Omega fatty acids, and that I know exactly how healthy it is for them and their families.

Shouldn't we all care enough to do that? Is it easy? Heck no. But don't think for a second that this press release or others like it is onto something NEW. We've just had the wool pulled over our eyes and been steered through the wrong gate for 50 years.

"Buying grass-fed meat and milk is like driving a hybrid car," said Dr. Margaret Mellon, Director of UCS's Food and Environment Program. "Not only is it good for you, it's better for your neighbors and better for
milk."

Am I missing something? Has this been in contention? :???:

theHiredMansWife said:
"Buying grass-fed meat and milk is like driving a hybrid car," said Dr. Margaret Mellon, Director of UCS's Food and Environment Program. "Not only is it good for you, it's better for your neighbors and better for
milk."

I was working for a Gentleman who, deacuse of his Heart was a Veggin - I'd eat 3 meals x 5 day per week with him.

On week-ends I'd eat My Grass Feed Beef with NO Ill Effects

But, if we went out to Dinner and I ate Stake I'd have a Hang-Over the next day :!:

theHiredMansWife said:
milk."

It has been proven that cattle that are fed nothing but forage, ie.. not grains like corn or wheat or barley, have this higher omega 3. Evidently, the ranchers in Argentina have been doing this, fattening on grass, for years and have it down to a science.

Most people just want to sell the calf and the guy who buys it just wants to feed up his corn and sell it to the packing house. As long as it is somewhat tender, they will buy it and eat it. They don't pay much mind to whether it is healthy or not. They sure complain when some study comes out about how beef is not healthy, tho'!

Grass and forage fattened and finished beef is wonderful. It does take some knowledge in getting it done and having a good product.

I've found that the one grain that you can feed that doesn't change the omega 3 is soybeans. I finish my butcher cattle on good grass/alfalfa hay and extruded soybean. The meat is wonderful and I guarentee it, when I sell it.

It's been predicted that when we of the "baby boomer" generation hit the heart attack years, approx. 50 to 60 years of age, there will be headlines that we are having more than normal heart attack victims, nation wide. But in reality, there will be no more percentage wise, it's just that there are so many more "baby boomers" than any other generation. So when they find out that grass and forage finished beef is healthier, they will clamor for it. The "Stockmans Grassfarmers Journal" talks about this all the time. Very interesting reading.

If this comes to pass, hang on to your hat when they start clamoring for beef from Argentina, that is raised this way.

What I find interesting is that you can graze any grain, up until it puts seed on, and it hass the same effect as grazing grass. But then again, all grain is, is the seed off from developed grasses.

So when they find out that grass and forage finished beef is healthier

I thought this was a known fact, actually. And had been known for a number of years...
confused-smiley-013.gif

I have a client who we ultrasound for that sells grass finished beef direct. He has carcass ultrasound, tenderness ultrasound and tenderness DNA testing done on all his bulls.
By the time he gets all this done, he has quite a bit of money tied up in these bulls, but he says that his customers do not consider price when buying their beef, if the tenderness is there.
This is apparently a niche market that is growing by leaps and bounds. I've heard that at least one company guarantees their cooperators a minimum of $1.75 per lb. hot carcass weight.

ET Doc said:
I have a client who we ultrasound for that sells grass finished beef direct. He has carcass ultrasound, tenderness ultrasound and tenderness DNA testing done on all his bulls.
By the time he gets all this done, he has quite a bit of money tied up in these bulls, but he says that his customers do not consider price when buying their beef, if the tenderness is there.
This is apparently a niche market that is growing by leaps and bounds. I've heard that at least one company guarantees their cooperators a minimum of $1.75 per lb. hot carcass weight.

I sold mine so far this winter for $3 a pound cut and wrapped. I'm kind of like a drug dealer. I'm gonna get them hooked and then the price is going up! :wink:

Tasty stuff -we usually killl a dry two year old off grass for ourselves-no EXT's though too wild tasting for me lol. I'd estimate less than half the Angus cattle right now would be suitable for grass fattening-there's alot more too it than dumping some yearlings on grass then whacking their heads off when the pasture gives out. One of my little hay fed bulls went visiting last week and got him home today-he's been running out wintereng of grass hay and licking snow-he looks pretty good-he'll shine up on grass trhen be a stud muffin in August when he hits the cows-won't have that grain hangover to overcome.

I do get a kick out of the generalitites....

Buffalo meat has been riding this for quite some time. So I go to a local market that sells it. I look at the burger....17% Fat...

So which is better for you, 17% Buffalo Burger or 7% Fat Beef Burger???

I know the perception is.....LOL

We can select for good marbling and less exterior fat. People are beginning to realize if marbling isn't there, gobbing on backfat won't get you to choice or prime. I sell my beef very handily, when folks fry the burger, there is no grease left. I feed mine corn for 4-6 months, dry age it for 21 days. I bring this up because I hink a lot is lost in the generalities. Folks almost always tell me mine is the best Beef they have ever eaten. Others say they do the same as me, but there are small things that add up.....I think this whole area of getting the flavor and tenderness right is where we can capture incredible premiums if done ight and we can track it,

PPRM

PPRM said:
I do get a kick out of the generalitites....

Buffalo meat has been riding this for quite some time. So I go to a local market that sells it. I look at the burger....17% Fat...

So which is better for you, 17% Buffalo Burger or 7% Fat Beef Burger???

I know the perception is.....LOL

We can select for good marbling and less exterior fat. People are beginning to realize if marbling isn't there, gobbing on backfat won't get you to choice or prime. I sell my beef very handily, when folks fry the burger, there is no grease left. I feed mine corn for 4-6 months, dry age it for 21 days. I bring this up because I hink a lot is lost in the generalities. Folks almost always tell me mine is the best Beef they have ever eaten. Others say they do the same as me, but there are small things that add up.....I think this whole area of getting the flavor and tenderness right is where we can capture incredible premiums if done ight and we can track it,

PPRM

You hit the nail on the head Pat. It is all the little things that you do or don't do in some cases that will produce the best beef.

Your right Pat. Every year, Hanta Yo organizes Beef Week for the area schools. The whole school has things about cattle, beef, etc worked into their classes. On Friday of the week, we cool the perfect cheeseburger for the entire school. She always invites two Billings celebrities from radio out for lunch and they always come. Last year I decided to cook those two a T-bone I brought from home, since they are special. One of them took pictures of the steaks. They could not believe how good and tender that meat was. I got a call a couple of weeks ago from a feed salesman that helps me cook for the school. He said, "you remember when we cooked those t-bones for Mark and Paul? I was in Outback Steakhouse last night and Mark was in there. He pulled out the camera phone and told the waitress, "see this steak? that is what I want. If you can't get one as good as that I will have to go somewhere else."" Of course he can't get one like that, it was one of our GV Angus cross steers, fed enough corn for good flavor, aged for two weeks, and cooked to perfection :wink:

It cracks me up that those who promote deer and buffalo meat, because they are healthier, don't see that it isn't the ruminant that is healthy, but what the ruminant has been eating, that makes the meat healthy.

When they take buffalo and fatten them on corn, they are no different, as far as Omega 3, as cattle that are fed on corn. Or most any other grains.

Corn fed tastes great, but so does grass fattened, if they are truely fat. It is much harder to fatten something until it is ready, on grass and forages alone. Most people who don't like grass fat beef, is caused because the cattle were not fat. They killed them before they were truely fat and ready.

In this area of the country, it is hard to find year around forages, that will cause a bovine to keep gaining .83 lbs per day, year around. And it has been proved that, that is what it takes to get tender, fattened beef, in most of the breeds, on the average. It's much easier to do with grains. That is why I use extruded soybean and good quality hay, as it is roughly 44% protien and 11% fat. And it doesn't stop the production of Omega 3.

How many reading this, know that the taste is in the fat not the lean. That is why lean meat doesn't have as much flavor as fat meat.

Hamburger with enough fat, when fried in a patty, in a pan, doesn't need any butter, lard or oil, to keep from sticking to the pan, as it already has enough fat in itself, to keep from sticking. When you cook very lean ground beef and use oil, lard or butter, to cook it in, you are tasting the oil, butter or lard, mixed with the meat.

Remember when McDonalds changed their oil for cooking french fries? Because it was supposed to be healthier. Next time you cook potato's or french fries at home, add some beef tallow. Sure does give it that good taste that McDonalds fries used to have. :wink:

We have found in this country that yearlings held past the middle of August, most years, start losing instead of gaining weight if not supplemented somehow. The grass curve is on a downward trend, unless we get some rain. Rain in August causing this grass to green up a bit, is better than grain. Man, do they do good on the hard grass with some green thrown in to balance it.

Their gains up to mid-August are incredible.

JB, soybean is the finest form of protein. It is almost 100% digestible. The very best. It might cost more, but you get more from it.

is not that it's going to be TASTIER to every consumer, it is HEALTHIER for every consumer

I think you're right. And "tasty" is a treat that can indulged in now and again. But "healthy" should be the day to day choice.
And for red meat, now that I can't get buffalo (at actual market price, not novelty markup!), I prefer grass-fed beef for the simple fact that if I'm going to have a freezer full of the stuff I want it as healthy as possible.

One time my father-in-law had a big grass-fat Hereford four-year-old cow. He talked me into buying half of it, and we took it to a local butcher shop. That was the worst beef we've ever had. Give me good old grain-fed beef any day.

As bad as the grass-fat Hereford beef was, it's still better than deer or buffalo. :wink:

Latest posts