• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Galloway herd bull

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Galloway2

Reaction score
Here is a couple of pics of our 8 yr old Galloway herdbull. [/img]
Pericles_050612_side.jpg
[/url][/img]

Like your bull. An old neighbor had about 60 % Galloway cows 20 years back. They were tough and produced well under less than desirable conditions. When he died, his son took over the ranch and sadly has drank most of the cowherd away.

Always wanted to put some Galloway into our herd but haven't ever had the nerve to do it. They just do not sell well as feeders here.

WyomingRancher said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
He is one thick beefy boy. :D

Yes he is :) . Was this bull in Denver last year? I think I remember seeing him, or one a lot like him.

Yes he was in Denver. We had him in the herd bull alley, as well as the Galloway show. He was named Grand Champion Galloway bull for the 3rd yr in a row. He was shown in his "working clothes", as we didn't have time to put any feed into him.

We picked him up Jan. 1st, from Genex where he had been for 70 days getting collect for export. We brought him home for a few days, loaded him back up and headed for Denver. He has been on slough grass hay since Denver, and has been running with the cows now for a couple of weeks.

perfecho said:
Certainly is thick and deep, nice looking bull....does he through the same type?

He does throw the same characteristics in his calves. We use him on heifers, and his daughters are making great cows. His bulls are working well in both purebred and commercial herds.

gcreekrch said:
Like your bull. An old neighbor had about 60 % Galloway cows 20 years back. They were tough and produced well under less than desirable conditions. When he died, his son took over the ranch and sadly has drank most of the cowherd away.

Always wanted to put some Galloway into our herd but haven't ever had the nerve to do it. They just do not sell well as feeders here.

Thanks.

Galloway and Galloway cross cows do very well in harsh conditions, and are very low maintenance. Having some Galloway influence in a commercial herd puts money in your pocket.

There are a lot of "Good haired Angus" calves being sold today, out of Angus based cowherds and Galloway bulls.

We have standing orders for Galloway feeders, both grass only, and grain fed.

Galloway2 said:
WyomingRancher said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
He is one thick beefy boy. :D

Yes he is :) . Was this bull in Denver last year? I think I remember seeing him, or one a lot like him.

Yes he was in Denver. We had him in the herd bull alley, as well as the Galloway show. He was named Grand Champion Galloway bull for the 3rd yr in a row. He was shown in his "working clothes", as we didn't have time to put any feed into him.

We picked him up Jan. 1st, from Genex where he had been for 70 days getting collect for export. We brought him home for a few days, loaded him back up and headed for Denver. He has been on slough grass hay since Denver, and has been running with the cows now for a couple of weeks.

Yeah, I think my neighbor and I visited with you and your wife a little... we were the two crazy gals from Wyoming :D . Anyhow, he is a really impressive bull, and looks just as thick, deep, and good in person as he does in these pics. That's why I stopped at your display, he turned my head, and it takes a lot to impress me :wink: . Did you ever find out how Herring Angus got along with his calves?

WyomingRancher said:
Galloway2 said:
WyomingRancher said:

Yeah, I think my neighbor and I visited with you and your wife a little... we were the two crazy gals from Wyoming :D . Anyhow, he is a really impressive bull, and looks just as thick, deep, and good in person as he does in these pics. That's why I stopped at your display, he turned my head, and it takes a lot to impress me :wink: . Did you ever find out how Herring Angus got along with his calves?

I am glad I posted this. My wife and I were talking about you two the other day. :) We knew it was a quick visit, getting dark, so we were hoping you didn't just forget about it.

I haven't talked to them lately. They bred this bull to some Angus and Angus cross heifers, and it sounded like calving them went good. Easy calving and vigorous.

Thanks for the comments.

Galloway2 said:
WyomingRancher said:
Galloway2 said:

I am glad I posted this. My wife and I were talking about you two the other day. :) We knew it was a quick visit, getting dark, so we were hoping you didn't just forget about it.

I haven't talked to them lately. They bred this bull to some Angus and Angus cross heifers, and it sounded like calving them went good. Easy calving and vigorous.

Thanks for the comments.

It is a small world :D. I'm glad you posted this as well, and look forward to keeping track of you guys on Ranchers.

I saw a older looking Galloway bull in the yards at Denver this year.Why do the Galloways show mature cattle at Denver where the other breeds show nothing over 2 years of age? After noticing the results of the show I thought surely a 8 year old show bull would have calves and grandsons being shown or exhibited. Is this the show bull that was doing well in Canada and purchased after his show career up there? I never understood why Galloways have to be so different than the other breeds ?
Just food for thought. Not being upset... just trying to understand it all...

Hay Feeder said:
I saw a older looking Galloway bull in the yards at Denver this year.Why do the Galloways show mature cattle at Denver where the other breeds show nothing over 2 years of age? After noticing the results of the show I thought surely a 8 year old show bull would have calves and grandsons being shown or exhibited. Is this the show bull that was doing well in Canada and purchased after his show career up there? I never understood why Galloways have to be so different than the other breeds ?
Just food for thought. Not being upset... just trying to understand it all...
Longevity is one of the characteristics of our breed, so we show aged animals.
This bull did do well in Canada, you are correct. He was purchased by us as a 4 yr old, because he was being under utilized. He was only being bred to a handful of females a year, due to being related to the majority of the herd. We use him natural service on 40 head per year both registered and commercial.

The herd he came from only runs 20 cows, and they had 4 bulls of similar quality being used, all produced by them.

A I is very limited in Galloway, so herd bulls are still used.
Very few Galloway breeders show cattle.

http://trappergallowayranch.com/

About twenty years ago, I requested information on the Galloway breed. A gentleman from Greybull, Wyoming responded right away. His name was Floyd "Kit" Smith, and he still owns and operates the Trapper Galloway Ranch. He had several bulls for sale. I remarked that it was quite a ways from the Nebraska Sandhills to western Wyoming to go look, and he said "not to worry," he'd bring the bulls to see me. It was February of whatever year this occurred, and we had already started to calve. In a few days, Mr. Smith showed up with a trailer load of twelve to fifteen yearling bulls. We unloaded them in our corral, and I scrutinized them carefully. Even though it was February, a warm rain started to fall. Kit spent the night with us, and fortunately the rain never did turn to snow. This was about the only February rain that I can ever recall that didn't turn to snow, but by morning we had half an inch of moisture.

Kit Smith proudly displayed quite a coat on his visit. The coat resembled a buffalo skin, but it was made from the long-haired hide of a Galloway critter. We were all impressed with this flamboyant bit of outer-wear and the workmanship it displayed.

I ended up buying one bull from Mr. Smith, more-or-less just to be sociable, since he had gone to so much trouble to show me his stock. We re-loaded the rest, and he headed back to the mountains of Wyoming. I had the bull with some other yearling bulls for the rest of the winter, and whenever the opportunity presented itself, I asked potential calf buyers how they would react if I had part Galloway calves for sale. They all indicated that Galloways make wonderful cattle out on the range, but when they enter the feedlots, their long hair tends to attract too much mud. That kind of cooled me on the proposition, and I ended up selling the bull to my uncle. He only kept the bull one year, and didn't get enough calves to make an accurate test. I think Galloways would be well worth considering if a person ranched in a more northern colder climate.

Soapweed- So you have met Mr. Smith. :D

Kit is a very nice guy, and very devoted to Galloways. I can only imagine the number or type of stories Kit told to his captive audience. :shock:

I will agree that fullblood Galloways have a lot of hair, and may tag more than slick hided cattle.

1/2 blood Galloway calves out of commercial cows will not have the issue.

My bull customers are usually surprised at the amount of hair the crossbred calves DON'T have.

As I stated earlier in the thread, there are a lot of "Good Haired" Angus being sold through the ring, that are 1/2 Galloway. The hit the CAB grid nicely, with better yield grades than straight Angus.

You take the 1/2 Galloway 1/2 Angus cow, and put whatever bull you want on them. You will get highly marketable calves out of a very efficient cowherd.

Soapweed said:

About twenty years ago, I requested information on the Galloway breed. A gentleman from Greybull, Wyoming responded right away. His name was Floyd "Kit" Smith, and he still owns and operates the Trapper Galloway Ranch. He had several bulls for sale. I remarked that it was quite a ways from the Nebraska Sandhills to western Wyoming to go look, and he said "not to worry," he'd bring the bulls to see me. It was February of whatever year this occurred, and we had already started to calve. In a few days, Mr. Smith showed up with a trailer load of twelve to fifteen yearling bulls. We unloaded them in our corral, and I scrutinized them carefully. Even though it was February, a warm rain started to fall. Kit spent the night with us, and fortunately the rain never did turn to snow. This was about the only February rain that I can ever recall that didn't turn to snow, but by morning we had half an inch of moisture.

Kit Smith proudly displayed quite a coat on his visit. The coat resembled a buffalo skin, but it was made from the long-haired hide of a Galloway critter. We were all impressed with this flamboyant bit of outer-wear and the workmanship it displayed.

I ended up buying one bull from Mr. Smith, more-or-less just to be sociable, since he had gone to so much trouble to show me his stock. We re-loaded the rest, and he headed back to the mountains of Wyoming. I had the bull with some other yearling bulls for the rest of the winter, and whenever the opportunity presented itself, I asked potential calf buyers how they would react if I had part Galloway calves for sale. They all indicated that Galloways make wonderful cattle out on the range, but when they enter the feedlots, their long hair tends to attract too much mud. That kind of cooled me on the proposition, and I ended up selling the bull to my uncle. He only kept the bull one year, and didn't get enough calves to make an accurate test. I think Galloways would be well worth considering if a person ranched in a more northern colder climate.

Yep sounds like him. His real name was Floyd he nicnamed himself Kit.
That sounds about the time he had a alcohol related automoble accident.
His cattle for years had plenty of ads however pretty short of nutirtion and pefromance. I got in a deal like that as a kid. Bought one bull and the others went back acutally ended up at Torrington Sale barn. After a few months of feed the bull I had ended up at Torrington Sale barn also.
He and another man from Boundrant Wyoming had the idea not to feed the Galloways durng winter. The other man (I belive) ended up in the Wyoming Pentitary system over it as well as with some horses in the same state of nutrition.

Hay Feeder said:
Soapweed said:

Yep sounds like him. His real name was Floyd he nicnamed himself Kit.
That sounds about the time he had a alcohol related automoble accident.
His cattle for years had plenty of ads however pretty short of nutirtion and pefromance. I got in a deal like that as a kid. Bought one bull and the others went back acutally ended up at Torrington Sale barn. After a few months of feed the bull I had ended up at Torrington Sale barn also.
He and another man from Boundrant Wyoming had the idea not to feed the Galloways durng winter. The other man (I belive) ended up in the Wyoming Pentitary system over it as well as with some horses in the same state of nutrition.

Hay Feeder

You seem to know a few things about a couple of old Galloway breeders. I have been involved with the breed for 30 years. Have we met?

Kit had a stroke, causing him many issues dealing with the care of his cattle herd. Terry Amerin, was from Boundarant, and yes, his management practices were questionable to say the least.

I am curious to know who you are, as I have seen you reply to almost all threads relating to Galloway cattle on this website.

Most have not been very positive. I am curious to know why that is.

Harley Blegen

Interestingly enough, just this past week I received another mailing from Kit Smith of the Trapper Galloway Ranch. It is four pages of single-spaced typing which enthusiatically promotes the Galloway breed. It is prefaced with, "Please read this over," written with a pen, and ends with, "P.S. I can prove all this stuff." Somehow I am kind of tickled by his passionate promoting, considering he has sold down to just a few head of cattle. We all have our hobbies and vices. :)

Latest posts