• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Garden experts, I need a question answered, please.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

nenmrancher

Reaction score
This is the first time I have ever planted spagetti squash and the one thing that I did not think about when I ordered the seeds was to find out when to pick the dang things. So my big question is how the heck do I tell when these things are ready to be picked? Any and all advice will be greatly welcomed. :lol:

I wish i had a big ole greesy BLT right now with a side of sliced maters with sugar sprinkled on them!!!! I'm starving......

The damn moles took my tomatoes.....nipped two off at the base and mangled the others....(enter curse word here).......Whats left blooms and blooms but won't set on....to scared i figure.

TXTibbs said:
The damn moles took my tomatoes.....nipped two off at the base and mangled the others....(enter curse word here).......Whats left blooms and blooms but won't set on....to scared i figure.

That is frustrating! I've read tomatoes won't set fruit when temps are over 90 degrees though. Ever hear that? Could be part of the problm.

I've had a kookie idea lately, one of many, retirement does that and one which I'm sure my husband won't go for :lol: ,
and that is planting a big pot or big windowbox type affairs and putting them on pulleys up to the roof where they would: get FULL sun (our garden doesn't have that), it would warm up faster in the Spring, no weeds and NO 4-legged varmints could get at it. Was thinking of putting an irrigation system on a timer up to it. Just lower it down to harvest. :roll: Does that sound cool or what!!

About moles: Rancher recommends a cat for mole problems, has had good luck with that . So now we have a kitten we're trying to keep outside except not at night because of foxes. But Marvin sure prefers to stay on my lap and mess with my computer keys when he's not viciously biting ankles and toes. He has needle sharp teeth yeeeow and doesn't know how close he is to being kicked outside PERMANENTLY. :evil: fox or no fox.

NR, I don't know if this would work at all in your garden, BUT...

in W. Montana it is fairly cool, with cold springs being the norm. W. Mt. is full of ROCKS. Now the old timers say the rocks hold heat and that is what helps things get growing there in the spring.

Perhaps some ROCKS would help your garden????????

Faster horses said:
NR, I don't know if this would work at all in your garden, BUT...

in W. Montana it is fairly cool, with cold springs being the norm. W. Mt. is full of ROCKS. Now the old timers say the rocks hold heat and that is what helps things get growing there in the spring.

Perhaps some ROCKS would help your garden????????

We'd actually have to BUY rocks and can't imagine digging around them and weeding around them is much fun. Still like the roof idea- it gets really hot up there. Someday when hubby is away on a trip he'll have a BEEEEG surprise when he comes home :twisted:

nr, your idea isn't so dumb. I seen on HGTV where a lady hung vegetable pots from hooks on her porch. She too could lower them when they needed watering and picking. Go for it and let us know the results.

Latest posts