• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Gas Powered T-Post Driver

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Reaction score
If you or someone you know have an "ol' reliable" driver that you want to brag on, I'm all ears!!!

Currently researching for one to buy for my Dad for his birthday - anyone have one that they prefer?

Looking to use it in the TX Panhandle soil - he has a lot of t-posts to put down (Probably building 8-10 miles worth of fence) over the next year or two and it's a one/two-man operation off of a UTV.

While some brands are enticingly cheaper than Redidriver/Rhino/Skidril, I'd pay for a nice one especially if I hear from actual users/buyers that it's worth it. It's going to get A LOT of work, so willing to spend more but if there is one out there that is less expensive that people swear by and can handle our upcoming grind, comment here!

Any comments/advice about 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke, brand comparisons, weight of driver, handling one by yourself, how often you have to service, reliability, all day usage, etc. would be welcome!!!

Looks like you have researched them more then the rest of us.

I use mostly wooden posts so have a Wheatheart Heavy Hitter trailer post pounder.

There are times a T post driver would come in handy.

We are looking at these too and would welcome any comments. So far the Skidril one looks like it has an option to handle T posts all the way up to 4".
We have a similar pounder to Big Muddy, but we have a lot of ground where we can't get at things with a tractor (or even a quad).

Others experience would be good to hear.

I wish there was something affordable for this. My post driver is getting old and noisy and doesn't work like it used to. Not to mention that it won't fix supper if it does too many in one day.

Welcome to Ranchers, foreverfencing. If you have any tool rental places close enough, check with them to see what they have. Some of them have both gas-powered and air-powered drivers that you can rent for a day or a week (or longer) to see what you like and don't like.

I've thought about a post driver of some type, but never have seen anything that I really like. Trying to drive all I can in the spring while the ground is still wet and before it gets too hot is the best solution I've ever come up with. Even if you hire some help to do it, they're still much more efficient in the spring, too.

if anyone has any thing that will drive 3/8 to 5/8 re-bar posts besides the 3lb hammer from princess, i'm all ears.... rotary hammer??

Little off subject but I use an IH 1486 FEL bucket and a 2" pipe sleeve and push them in the ground. If they won't go I scoop up a yd of dirt to add weight and push them in.

I watched a demo of this driver , at the Int. Farm Expo last year, it runs off of air but it ran pretty slick.
http://www.powerpostdriver.com/picket_post_driver.html

lavacarancher said:
Little off subject but I use an IH 1486 FEL bucket and a 2" pipe sleeve and push them in the ground. If they won't go I scoop up a yd of dirt to add weight and push them in.

something like this one lavacarancher

https://bucketdriver.3dcartstores.com/

We made a post driver out of 2" pipe. Put a round plate about 6" across on one end and a similar round donut on the other. These work real good if you have someone hold the post up straight to get it started. The lenght of the pipe determines the height of the posts. I put in a few miles of fence with this by myself, but it sure made for a lot of climbing off and on the tractor.

When the weight of the tractor isn't enough to force the post into the ground, we picked up a rock weighing about a ton to give it an assist. I don't reccomend this!!

CP

Hayguy said:
lavacarancher said:

something like this one lavacarancher

https://bucketdriver.3dcartstores.com/

Yes sir. Sure saves my back.

Latest posts