• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Gathering Bulls

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hanta Yo

Reaction score
Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:07 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Had to bring this up in a new post, pretty exciting stories without all those pics. We, too have 26.4 kbps and the pics download awfully slow.

Back a few years ago we did some experiments with Piedmontese bulls. We bought these bulls in Canada. They all had attitude and I don't think they ever saw a horse until we unloaded them here. When it came time to gather them up, they were in a pasture that was pretty rough and thick with trees. I had my son and daughter with me, they were in their early teens but decent help. When we located one of those bulls and you tried to move them, they would go aways and then start hammering on your horse. did not want to get anyone or any of the horses hurt but we had to get those buggers gathered up somehow. Had the truck and trailer close by and a set of corrals a couple miles away. We came up with a plan. This was about fair time for us and there was a long show stick in the back of the truck and the lead ropes from our halters. I would ride up to one of those bulls and he would come after me. All of these bulls had nose rings and now we knew why. When they would come at me, I would hook the nose ring with the hook on the end of the show stick and pull hard. My son would then ride up and snap a lead rope into the nose ring and I would lead them upto and in the trailer. They just hated being that close to a horse but unable to do anything about it with their nose dallyed to my horn. Tears flowed down their cheeks. It was fun getting even with those jerks. The next year we had a new one with no nose ring, couldn't get him out of the cows at all, that is until I pulled out my Contender.
Now since we fall calve and gather the bulls in January, I have the wife gather them with a bucket of cake. Is way easier but makes for a boring story

Hanta Yo

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:15 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW! , sw,

I can't imagine hooking those nose rings and forcing those bulls into the trailer. Talk about "cowboy up" to do what it takes to get the job done!!! YOU deserve a medal!!

Latest posts