• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Gathering time is here

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cure

Reaction score
Spent the last week out gathering cows off one of our permits. Figured I take some pictures for you guys
20110501064521.jpg

mornin sunshine
20110502134043.jpg

one of the windmills on the range
20110501075806.jpg

mans best friend in this country
20110430104855.jpg

the posse bringing in the herd
20110501075826.jpg

the cows really look good this year couldnt be happier
20110430071130.jpg

I dont think this guy misses to many trips to the table
20110430075127.jpg

the BUS as we like to call it
20110501080008.jpg

home sweet home. We really rough it out here :wink:
20110424083703.jpg

came home to this bunch of future cow chasers

Sure wish we were a bit closer cuz I'm looking for one of those lil cow chasers right now!

Stock looks good, nice pictures, thanks for posting them.

Looks like mud tracks at a right angle to the front drivers of the truck in pic#8. Haven't seen any mud here in awhile. Real Estate agents in Texas could be busted as crack-dealers.

jodywy said:
Cure how close was I to your county yesterday?
went down thru Cache Valley over Sardine,down 15 then 80 west, then on down to Tooele
I am about 2 hours from cache valley. I live next to the great and not so wonderful town of Park City

VB RANCH said:
that there snow on them cows dew claws? when was them calves born? nosey sob aint i ?. nice pictures!
The white stuff on their dew claws is an ash clay when it hardens it is like concrete and you can't get it off. We started calving march 1 and the last one was born 2 weeks ago.

cure said:
jodywy said:
Cure how close was I to your county yesterday?
went down thru Cache Valley over Sardine,down 15 then 80 west, then on down to Tooele
I am about 2 hours from cache valley. I live next to the great and not so wonderful town of Park City
SIL used to live there then Peoa over some were around Kamas now. Sister lives in Riverton, used to be alfalfa fields where she is.

What would happen if you were to mow the brush?

I bought some ground that was covered in brush and mulit flora roses and had little if any pasture value. Bush hog about 3 times a year ( I'm trying not to spray ) and it is very good pasture now.

I did not know what would happen in your area

To answer some of your questions we trucked all our cows home about 150 miles from the winter country and turn the majority of them out on some private leased ground next to us. Some also go up by jody in Id also about 150 miles away.
George the brush is our best friend out there about five years ago we had a fire come through us (milford flat fire if anyone has heard of it) it took 4 years to get the plant life to come back because the wind would blow the sand and buried all the seed. I wish I would of taken a picture of the bottom of the brush because the grasses are around a foot tall. The brush is a good feed for cows in the winter and a protectate for the grasses in the spring and summer.

That makes sense to me. But I'm always trying different things. What would happen if you took a small area and a small ( 5') bush hog and striped the field perpendicular to the normal winds?

For example if the normal wind comes form the west mow a 5' wide strip north & south and skip 5' then do it again. I wonder if the mowed areas would be protected and grow more grass.

I guess I just have an inquiring mind that can get me in trouble!

George said:
That makes sense to me. But I'm always trying different things. What would happen if you took a small area and a small ( 5') bush hog and striped the field perpendicular to the normal winds?

For example if the normal wind comes form the west mow a 5' wide strip north & south and skip 5' then do it again. I wonder if the mowed areas would be protected and grow more grass.

They did have a pelleted form of a herbicide/brush killer out that you could selectively apply to just thin the sage out. Don't know how it worked. :?

Big Muddy rancher said:
George said:

They did have a pelleted form of a herbicide/brush killer out that you could selectively apply to just thin the sage out. Don't know how it worked. :?

Spike, I Spiked some sage brush last summer waiting for the snow to go, but with the snow and wet spring that will kill out sage brush.
Alot of area that were homesteaded they but the ditch and irrigated the sage , then buned it after it died , and most had some good irrigated hat fields.

The brush also acts as shade for the grass in the summer time it can get up to 110 degrees out there burn the the grass off and then I wouldn't have feed in the winter when I go back out. It is hard to believe this but out there shade is a good thing for plant life as well as animal

Latest posts