• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Generators

Help Support Ranchers.net:

:lol: Yeah, I'm spoiled too. Haven't done a lick of housework since I burnt the water that I was supposed to boil and blew up the vacuum cleaner. :lol: Still an old fashioned Gentleman, open car doors and say yes mam'n.

We have a Gen Rac 5500 watt. Had it 5 years. Had no power at our cabin for a year and very handy. Have used it to run heaters on the diesel tractors. I am currently installing it in our basement as a backup.

Panelized walls have been used for many years. We started using them in the 70's. Ours arrived on a crane truck & were often full length or 30 ft long and set together. There are many things about the cabin shown that I don't like. The doubling up on all those studs are a total waste. Extend your end stud past your top & bottom plate ¾ in & the next panel will tie together on the splice eliminating the extra studs.

An overhang on the ends would greatly improve it. I would use vented soffits to get ventilation. Using fiber board (buffalo board) or foam insulation board with sway braces would cheapen it considerably and provide more 'R' value. I would use plywood on the corners and window openings. Make sure that you use a green treated plate on all bottom plates that rest on the slab & a layer of sill seal.

The cabin shown obviously isn't going to be used in the winter or where there is any snow. Most slab on grades in my part of the country are set on raised pads with a little better landscaping. The cabin shown only has several inches clearance between the finished grade and the door opening! The headers over the windows in the cabin shown should either go completely to the top plate or cripples should be used between the header and top plate to keep it solid and prevent sagging. Good luck with your cabin. I think you will enjoy it.

I think the thing that shocked me the most was the lack of overhang. But like it says it was her first project and it looks darn good for a first try to me :) I was surprised that she managed to get everything square. Cuz when it comes down to it that is the hardest part :)

Judith

I have a generator for sale.It's a 7000 watt gas powered that has never been used it is still packaged up.I have another one just like it that has framed 4 or 5 houses with no problems it will run a large compressor and 3 skil saws.We also found that the low oil shutoff does work.
the only problem i have with it is that it is loud!!

buy one, you will find uses for it latter. Not sure I would buy a used one unless you know its background and/or it is cheap. The older ones (before electronic ignition) do not start nearly as well. If you are thinking of one as big as a portable welder, by all means get the welder.

My brother bought a cheap on from the local farm supply store. It had cast iron sleeve and over head valves. He bought it to run his corn stove when the power went out, but been useing it running a pump jack (lots of hours) and it has been working well.

I rented a cement saw to put a widow in the basement of our house in town. Used in possibly 15 minutes and when they got done adding up all the charges, I could have made a big payment on a new cheap saw and it probbly would have lasted for more than one more job.

Latest posts