• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

George or other old engine guys

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
My son was looking at a old Austin Western grader. Looks rough to me but the motor from the right side had a injection pump and the left side had spark plugs and a carburetor.? Is it a diesel that starts on gas? :?

Should be. Commonly referred to as a "pony motor".

FWIW, Do your son a favor and tell him to keep looking for a grader until he finds a CAT. CAT parts ain't cheap, but they are a helluva lot cheaper than parts for orphans. An old wrist breaking #12 shouldn't be terribly spendy, and will be a lot cheaper to own/run than about anything else.

Years ago my Dad bought a WABCO 777B with an 871 Detroit in it. He gave $25K for it, and that thing was big and would move the hell out of the dirt or snow. However, it never finished a job that it started. My best guess is he dumped another $75K into it and STILL it never finished a job it started. And it wasn't just the Detroit part, although it got overhauled, too. Transmisssion, finals, hydraulics. I think the W in WABCO stood for WEAK instead of Westinghouse. He bought an old #12 for not much and it was the Energizer Bunny, going and going and going. We unloaded the 777 at a heavy equipment auction and never even watched it sell. When the check came, it was for $5400. :shock: Dad was tickled to get anything for it.

Sounds to me like the old IH diesels. I would guess its a 4 cylinder? You start it on gas, let it warm up, then switch to diesel. I always liked that style of engine, but they are known to be hard on crank shafts. I never had to worry about anybody stealing the 4 different tractors I had that started that way, 'cause the average person, doesn't know how to start them.

I didn't know there were any graders in Saskatchewan. :? :???: :lol: 8) :wink:

per said:

that must be why he wants one... to be the only one :lol: :lol: :lol:

old cat equipment started with a pony motor , most times a lot more expensive to fix than the main motor. this one sounds like a ihc motor, starting on gas and switching to diesel. calgary public auctions usually has a wide assortment of graders at their sales.

per said:

:lol: :lol: It isn't it is in Montana. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the info guys. It must be a IH as it did have a couple IH guages on it. I'm not real crazy about him getting it as a little more and he could probably get something much better.

:agree: it might not take that much more, to get a lot better and newer. un less he's into antiques/collectables :wink: :wink:

It sounds to me like it is an engine simular to the MD Farmall. I believe it was a pretty good engine, but it does seem those who had one had some trouble with the engine heads. IH probably used simular engines on some of their other equipment also.

I have often wondered what Shepard's diesel engine was like. He first built them to put on the M Farmall, then buil a few tractors himself. It was said that you could repair the inecter pump with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver.

I just cut up an old Austin Western grader ( 1954) that had that engine in it - - - 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steer - - - On a bet I even hand cranked it a couple of times and really liked the machine but it was just worn out and heavy scrap was #390.00 a ton so I took the wheels off, drained the fluid and shipped it! I got rid of several old loaders, dozers, trucks etc. but the price dropped so I'm waiting till cold weather to cut more scrap.

If you need them I can probably find the owners and repair manuals to the grader. 30 years ago when I bought it I really used it a lot - - - started on gas ( about a 2 gal tank ) then when the temp gauge started up switched to diesel and with about 50 HP I could get a lot done!

The grader I have now is a 1985 JD 750A with the 125Hp diesel, power shift transmission, front grousers, front Vplow, quiet cab 14' blade and I get a lot more done but while I can articulate the machine and lean the front tires the old Austin was a great machine for her age!

570Aleftfront.jpg
This was on a foggy morning

570A.jpg

This was a little colder day!

Latest posts