• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Getting a Little Cool again!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

As a retiree I was invited to the local rural fire Depts Christmas supper at the Fire Hall, which was also a retirement party for the Fire Chief- who now is switching hats to become the new Mayor (rural communities we just share and swap hats)....I ate so much prime rib that I may not be able to sleep tonite- Prime Rib, Crown Royal, and good people that volunteer a lot out of their lives for the community- what more could you ask for???...I look forward to this party every year as they always cook their own prime rib-- and since the retiring Chief and his wife are the head cooks he was given a lifetime invitation to come back and do the cooking.....

Was -9 when I headed in around 6PM... -15 when I left at 9PM...Gonna get chilly tonite.....

Sounds like a good timeO.T....nothin better then Prime rib and crown royal....just got in, -25 and with the wind the radio said -32 it is biting cold out there tonite

greg said:
Sounds like a good timeO.T....nothin better then Prime rib and crown royal....just got in, -25 and with the wind the radio said -32 it is biting cold out there tonite

I sure hope the weather boys are right and this is supposed to be shortlived- local guys say -15 still tomorrow nite, but the Canadian weather (for Rockglen) and some of the other computer runs say up to 0 by tommorrow nite- then +30's by the middle of the week.....

Luckily we have little wind-- but clear skies and a big moon, so the temps could bottom out.....

Ya supposed to start clearing up in morn. then get into the pluses Monday.... maybe we won't have a white Christmas,was hopin to take grandson on first sliegh ride, really doesn't look like its going to happen,its cold here but not alot of snow

-13 degrees F, right now out there!! Brrrrrrrr.....would only be a MILD nuisance if not for that blasted north wind that somehow manages to slice right through even the warmest layers of clothing!! At least the car started so i can get to work!! Supposed to be about -23 tonight, so I guess I should just "cowboy up" and bundle up!! Hope you all are staying plenty warm!! Have a good one!!! :D

It's been said that if you only have one clock, you know what time it is. If you have two or more in the house, you are never quite sure what time it is. We have the same problem with our thermometers. This morning one said 18 below zero, one was 12 below, and one registered 6 below. Guess for bragging rights, we can use the low one in the winter time, and the high one in the summertime. :wink:

Just got back in from sorting out a few cows to go to a sale. It's damn cold out! Even the heavy coveralls, jacket, tougue (sp?), and gloves couldn't hold back the cold. Good thing I had to run a few times to keep myself warm! Warming trend is coming, but it's taking longer than it was supposed to. Temps won't be as near as high as previously predicted. Oh well, anything's better than -30 C!

Faster horses said:
This should be the last real cold day here (hopefully for the rest of the winter)...supposed to be in the 20's tomorrow, in the 30's by Wednesday, and in the 40's by Saturday. We can hardly wait! :p

Right now, we have a wind chill of minus 20...

You are a wishful thinker. :lol: :cowboy: :santa:

coming home from work last night, the temp was -9 F.....when i went to warm up the car to get the kids to the bus stop, the temp was 21 above zero!!! Wowwww!! Nice warm up.....no wind for a change.....i guess having a little cloud cover sure helps to keep things warm...sorta like a blanket!! :D

I always liked to have the thermometer where the morning sun could hit it.
Didn't make it any warmer but it is kind of a psychological thing, fools your mind into thinking it should be warmer.

I enjoy hearing about your weather. I lived in SD for 7 winters and traveled the Dakotas, Montana and Wyo so I know what your weather feels like. I live in NE Texas now. It was 32, grey and damp when I went out to feed this morning. Now I know you think this is childs play, but I want you to know that the dampness here makes it a different ballgame. That dampness just goes right through you. It got down to 16 here last week which is pretty cold for here and I had to chop ice for the cows. Don't usually have to do that too often. Anyway, the coldest I have been in was -35 in Grand Forks, ND. I don't know how you raise livestock in that kind of weather. I heard Stevensons Angus say they calve in January. Do they do all their calving indoors ??

efb said:
I enjoy hearing about your weather. I lived in SD for 7 winters and traveled the Dakotas, Montana and Wyo so I know what your weather feels like. I live in NE Texas now. It was 32, grey and damp when I went out to feed this morning. Now I know you think this is childs play, but I want you to know that the dampness here makes it a different ballgame. That dampness just goes right through you. It got down to 16 here last week which is pretty cold for here and I had to chop ice for the cows. Don't usually have to do that too often. Anyway, the coldest I have been in was -35 in Grand Forks, ND. I don't know how you raise livestock in that kind of weather. I heard Stevensons Angus say they calve in January. Do they do all their calving indoors ??

I remember in 1995 went out to check heifers (this is when we spring calved) in early Feb and there wasn't a breeze, the temp was at least -50 degrees F, cuz that's as far down as the mercury would go in the thermometer. You could hear the trees creaking and cracking and the air sounded like it was cracking, too. That's darn cold, BRRRRRRR!!

I agree with you on the humidity. It makes cold feel ever so much colder, and it does seep into your bones!!!

efb- Any that calve up here in January and February "lot calve"...That is they have their cattle in a big lot and if the weather is cold or bad they about live with the cows taking in and warming calves...Some even have a barn system set up like the old lambing jug system-- several pens in the barn which they put all new calvers in and rotate them thru pens during the night (or day)--kick them out when the calves are dry and have sucked-- Once they get dry and have a full belly those calves can handle pretty cold weather....Can be hell when 30 calves are all born on a 20 below night in a blizzard......

But I'm too lazy to do all that- Calving in March & April can be bad enough sometimes..

Oldtimer said:
Calving in March & April can be bad enough sometimes..

One thing about calving, there ain't no "free lunch" no matter when you do it. We have had cattle-killing blizzards in this country in May, and I've been glad our baby calves were as old as they were, to be able to withstand it. When a ranch calves early, you know there will be cold nights so you plan accordingly. If a ranch calves later, you always hope against hope that it won't be too bad, and that's when a feller can really be caught with his britches clear down around his ankles. :shock: :( :wink:

Last spring we had the vet out it was the middle of Febuary.I asked him if he was getting busy he said not really.He said you guys that calve early can handle most anything its the april may calveing folks that make him work no facilities just a rope and a flashlight.Now I know alot of people who calve later are plenty able but many are not..

Anyone want to come for a visit Feb 7th I have 40 heifers we syncronized and AIed due then.There bagging up now.

Talking about blizzards and loosing cattle, I'm currently reading a book about the XIT ranch in W. TX (& Montana). It said they had a bad blizzard in 1887 I think it was that killed up to 60% of the cattle. The cowboys that were out on the range with the cattle went to skinning them after the 3 day storm broke. Said they could only skin those that were still alive but down. They cut their throat and skinned them while they were still warm. Those that were dead and frozen could'nt be skinned. That must have been pretty tough. The weather must have been colder then. I have spent a lot of time in W. TX for the last 20 years and I don't think they have had any weather close to that.

Well FH's warm weather finally hit here...Was 15 below yesterday morning and warmed up to 20 above by the afternoon...Today its already up to 30-supposed to get in the mid 40's tommorrow-I see along the Missouri in the chinook zone everyplace is already in the 40's and 50's with 25 to 50 mph winds-- That will cut some snow and save on the hay...

Latest posts