• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Getting calves ready to sell

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Punchingcows.jpg

Punching cows
Hazyday.jpg

Hazy day
Onthemove-1.jpg

On the move
Movingcattletofreshgrass.jpg

Trailing cattle to fresh grass
Theseheifercalveswillbeheldoverasre.jpg

These heifer calves will be held over as replacements
Movingrightalong.jpg

Moving right along
Thestocking-leggedcalfisaherdmarker.jpg

The stocking-legged calf is a herd marker
Pickinguptrashfoundinthepasture.jpg

Picking up trash found in the pasture
Meadowview-1.jpg

Meadow view
Steercalvestoselltomorrow.jpg

Steer calves to sell tomorrow

The following pictures are just random shots of the steer calves that will sell tomorrow at the Valentine Livestock Auction
Someoftheboys1.jpg

Someoftheboys2.jpg

Someoftheboys3.jpg

Someoftheboys4.jpg

Someoftheboys5.jpg

Someoftheboys6.jpg

Someoftheboys7.jpg

Someoftheboys8.jpg

Someoftheboys9.jpg

Alldressedinblack.jpg

All dressed in black
Haythisisgoodstuff.jpg

Hay, this is good stuff
Lastsupperontheranch.jpg

Last supper on the ranch

thanks for the pictures Soapweed. wish the market was a little better, but by the looks of your calves they will still demand good money. really a nice set of soggy calves.

Great looking calves-as usual! Hope all goes well for you guys at the sale-have a good day :wink:

Nice pictures as usual :) Thanks for sharing. The calves look real good...how did you do at the sale?

Nicky said:
Nice pictures as usual :) Thanks for sharing. The calves look real good...how did you do at the sale?

Not too hot. :? :???: :(

94 black steers 603# @ $112.00 cwt
10 black steers 606# @ $110.00 cwt
90 black steers 577# @ $113.50 cwt
23 black steers 495# @ $126.00 cwt

I feel like a neighbor did quite a few years ago. He sold his calves kind of late in the season, and the market had been dropping steadily all fall. The night of his calf sale, we happened to be eating supper at the same restaurant, and were visiting about the cattle market. He looked pretty glum for a little while, and then his face broke out into a big grin. He said, "You know, next year cattle prices won't be worth a darn. Everybody will be selling calves and feeling sad because they won't be worth much. It won't bother me, because I'll already be used to it."

Guess that is the attitude that I need to take. :wink: :)

Those are still pretty fair prices at least they wer'nt 75 cents.My uncle is retireing this year he was telling me the best set of calves he had raised in 30 years sold for 40 cents.

Well, Soapweed, they sure looked good and weighed up, you did your part. The man that got us started in this business many moons ago,
told us to do everything about the same time every year. Don't try to out
guess the market. You might not hit the high, and you won't hit the low, but you'll still be operating the next year.
We have followed his advice all this time and that was told
to us 41 years ago .

I think there has been years that it worked to your advantage to sell
when you do as opposed to contracting earlier with an order buyer.
This is just one of the years that brings down the average a bit. But
you'll still be there next year doing the same thing.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Still good prices per head.
I heard from a friend in W. Montana that the order buyers aren't
picking up some of the contracts over there. That hasn't happened
here as yet that I know of.

Oh, and another good piece of advice was given to us by a Basque
friend that lost 800 sheep in one blizzard. We had bought the place in
W. Montana and were really worried about going in debt that much
and how it would all play out. She said, "Ranching is really simple. When you make a little more you spend a little more, when you make a little less you spend a little less." They ranched successfully in some tough country for many years. They are retired now. She gave us a ledger
book and said "when this is full, you'll know you've done something."
It is full...filled the last page this year...I never fail to think of the day she
gave me that book. We've used it all these years. Time passes way
too fast.

Wish the weather was better for your preg testing. We did our second
bunch yesterday. 68 degrees and beautiful out. We do ours in a barn,
wouldn't you know?

Yes the market has sure slipped the last couple of weeks, but those are still good prices compared to northern MT prices. We sold 575# steers last week for 1.08 and they were about as good as any around. Still not bad compared to a few years back.

Yes we sell our calves this thursday at Valentine. I hope the market is pretty decent, but I don't expect them to do well ,like they have for the last 4 yrs, we will see. You never know, why the Japanese might just get a craving for beef on Wed. and the price could got up alot. :wink: :roll: :wink: :roll: :p

Latest posts