• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Gifted a Ranch

Help Support Ranchers.net:

SFL_Ranch

Reaction score
Long story short I'm being given a 2000acre ranch in S. Florida. They currently run ~500 head of Red Angus and have ~750acres of improved pasture. I have very little experience in raising cattle we had 10-12 black angus growing up but I was never involved in the finance side of things. Realistically what kinda of costs are going to be involved in this kind of operations and what is the potential profit. I've been doing a bit of research on narrowing down sale prices of steers and heffers and production numbers but I'm looking for some perspective on people who have done this before.

Thanks!

If you have been given the ranch with no debt, your gross income may exceed your costs. If you are careful.......................

The spread in profits per calf estimates are between $50.00 to $200.00 each. That's for the the ranch's that have a profit.

Mike said:
If you have been given the ranch with no debt, your gross income may exceed your costs. If you are careful.......................

Mike, there is no debt. I'm looking at diversifying into some other ag. aspects but I want do want to maintain the cattle. There is currently one ranch hand that is running most of the operation. From what I understand they are "grass-fed". Are the margins really that tight?

Maintain & learn the cattle aspects first. The other endeavors will come in time. Reach out to the State Extension Service. They have people who might answer your questions. Notice I said "Might".

Remember, first of all you are a grass/forage farmer. Your profits will derive from the grass the cattle eat that is converted to pounds of beef.

Good points by all. But run it like its not payed for. I've seen guys given farms and ranches and they run it like nothing can go wrong, no planning, no thinking ahead and pretty soon their selling some of it off to get by.

Whitewing said:
Mike said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Up here in the 80's parents were afraid to give the kids the farm for fear of being charged with Child Abuse. :wink: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Big Muddy definitely missed his calling. :D

...as a stand up comedian... :p :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am new to this site and can't really tell when this happened, there are posts from 2005 and 2013. So I am interested in finding out if you figured out what to do and made it in the ranching business? Not too many people are given this chance without having to pay for the property. It would be like wining a working lottery! Sounds like a fun endeavor!

I would begin with a discussion with the accountant or finance person that has historically been handling the ranch, that will give you an idea into the profit potential.

Second, I would keep the hired hand at least until you can learn more about the situation. You will have to determine if current management is adequate, or should be improved.

Third, I would have discussions with the extension agent concerning ranching in your specific environment. I would also feel free to contact the attending veterinarian and see what can be learned about management, if anything, from him or her.

Fourth, you need to determine what your ranch role will be. Are you going to be living on location, participating in daily management, or managing from a distance?

Florida is a great beef State, tough for outsiders like me to determine what is best for your situation and environment.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Hey SFL, If you are interested in optomizing production on your cattle and grass look up Jaime Elizondo he is an exceptional manager and consultant and is running cattle without feeding hay year around in your state. If you can't find him on Google Chris Stelzer on agricultural insights will direct you to him. I wish he lived in my neck of the woods. Even a free ranch can go broke with the wrong management, it just takes a little longer. Learning nutrition and grass management from someone of his caliber will ensure that you can earn a good living and then gift it to the next generation in as good or better shape than you recieved it. Congratulations and good luck!

Latest posts