• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Gingrich: GOP in Danger of Becoming Permanent Minority

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Gingrich: GOP in Danger of Becoming Permanent Minority
Saturday, 22 Dec 2012 12:03 PM

By Sandy Fitzgerald

Republicans are in danger of losing their power and Democrats could become a near-permanent majority if the GOP doesn't conduct a major overhaul on its party operations, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich has warned.

In a letter Friday to Republican National Committee members, Gingrich, who failed in his bid for the Republican nomination for president this year, warned that the "Clinton-Obama majority could become as dominant as the Roosevelt majority was from 1932 to 1968 presidentially and from 1930 to 1994 in the House of of Representatives."

Gingrich's letter, reported in The Hill, was sent to warn that the GOP needs a major overhaul, and said he'll spend several months working with the RNC on the project.

The Newt will straighten you folks out-- or else you go the way of the Dinos... :wink:

Well the 48 percent is growing wanting their stuff, so I agree if the republicans don't give them stuff they won't vote for them. But Ot who in the hell is going to pay for this stuff?

ranch hand said:
Well the 48 percent is growing wanting their stuff, so I agree if the republicans don't give them stuff they won't vote for them. But Ot who in the hell is going to pay for this stuff?

That was the question more should have been asking while GW was stuffing Trillions $ down a rathole in a sandpit putting us so far in debt in the first place...
I think its going to take a joint effort of raised taxes and cuts in spending to keep us both progressing and paying off our credit card...

Oldtimer said:
ranch hand said:

That was the question more should have been asking while GW was stuffing Trillions $ down a rathole in a sandpit putting us so far in debt in the first place...
I think its going to take a joint effort of raised taxes and cuts in spending to keep us both progressing and paying off our credit card...

This proves what I've known all along. You have absolutely no grasp of reality.

As for the "trillions down a rathole in a sandpit", I'll ask once again. Linky?

zFacts-Iraq-war-cost.png

obama-deficit-2011.jpg

Of course, the tripling of US deficits under Obama is all Bush's fault. Nothing will ever be Obama's fault. Must be cozy living in FatManLand.

Iraq war ends with a $4 trillion IOU

Veterans' health care costs to rise sharply over the next 40 years

December 15, 2011|Christopher Hinton, MarketWatch

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) — The nine-year-old Iraq war came to an official end on Thursday, but paying for it will continue for decades until U.S. taxpayers have shelled out an estimated $4 trillion.

Over a 50-year period, that comes to $80 billion annually.

Although that only represents about 1% of nation's gross domestic product, it's more than half of the national budget deficit. It's also roughly equal to what the U.S. spends on the Department of Justice, Homeland Security and the Environmental Protection Agency combined each year.

Near the start of the war, the U.S. Defense Department estimated it would cost $50 billion to $80 billion. White House economic adviser Lawrence Lindsey was dismissed in 2002 after suggesting the price of invading and occupying Iraq could reach $200 billion.

"The direct costs for the war were about $800 billion, but the indirect costs, the costs you can't easily see, that payoff will outlast you and me," said Lawrence Korb, a senior fellow at American Progress, a Washington, D.C. think tank, and a former assistant secretary of defense under Ronald Reagan.

Those costs include interest payments on the billions borrowed to fund the war; the cost of maintaining military bases in Kuwait, Qatar and Bahrain to defend Iraq or reoccupy the country if the Baghdad government unravels; and the expense of using private security contractors to protect U.S. property in the country and to train Iraqi forces.

Caring for veterans, more than 2 million of them, could alone reach $1 trillion, according to Paul Rieckhoff, executive director of the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, in Congressional testimony in July.

Other experts said that was too conservative and anticipate twice that amount. The advance in medical technology has helped more soldiers survive battlefield injuries, but followup care can often last a lifetime and be costly.

More than 32,000 soldiers were wounded in Iraq, according to the U.S. Department of Defense. Add in Afghanistan and that number jumps to 47,000.

Altogether, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan could cost the U.S. between $4 trillion and $6 trillion, more than half of which would be due to the fighting in Iraq, said Neta Crawford, a political science professor at Brown University.

Her numbers, which are backed by similar studies at Columbia and Harvard universities, estimate the U.S. has already spent $2 trillion on the wars after including debt interest and the higher cost of veterans' disabilities.

The annual budget for the Department of Veterans Affairs has more than doubled since 2003 to a requested $132.2 billion for fiscal 2012. That amount is expected to rise sharply over the next four decades as lingering health problems for veterans become more serious as they grow older.

Costs for Vietnam veterans did not peak until 30 or 40 years after the end of the war, according to Todd Harrison, a defense budget analyst with the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments.

"We will have a vast overhang in domestic costs for caring for the wounded and covering retirement expenditure of the war fighters," said Loren Thompson, a policy expert with the Lexington Institute. "The U.S. will continue to incur major costs for decades to come."

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2011-12-15/general/30778140_1_iraq-war-iraq-and-afghanistan-veterans-budgetary-assessments

Heres your linky to the Wall Street Journal article (which I've posted before if you had a memory) -- altho it is a year old- and I have heard of more recent estimates of Iraqs eventual cost being over $ 7 Trillion alone....

Key sentence which you somehow failed to highlight:

The direct costs for the war were about $800 billion which is exactly what my chart shows and exactly why I challenged your assertion.

As for all the other blather you highlighted, if you had ever shown a principled bone your pudgy little body, I'd give you the benefit of the doubt as to how important the "unseen" costs of the war were to you.

However, I know for a fact that you don't give a fat rat's ass about any of those costs. Your beef is with George Bush and George Bush alone.

Why else would you look the other way while the Messiah sends the US down the tubes in an orgy of deficit spending?

I dont necessarily care for Newt, but he is right. If the "R's" dont put a hand on each shoulder and yank real hard to pull their head outta their hind ends, the "R's" are gnna be suckin hind tit.

Last time they gave us McCain. This time they gave the people, Romney. To believe he is, or would have been any better than the current admin, is foolish. He has already stated his position on gun rights. He was also the one who came up with the model for obamacare. The republicans need to get back to their conservative roots and quit alienating those in this country who actually have some common sense and smarts.

If they dont, they deserve the status of a hasbeen and all that comes with it. People need to wake up and start voting their consience and not the party. Quit being sheep, that is what they want.

Tex

tumbleweed_texn said:
I dont necessarily care for Newt, but he is right. If the "R's" dont put a hand on each shoulder and yank real hard to pull their head outta their hind ends, the "R's" are gnna be suckin hind tit.

Last time they gave us McCain. This time they gave the people, Romney. To believe he is, or would have been any better than the current admin, is foolish. He has already stated his position on gun rights. He was also the one who came up with the model for obamacare. The republicans need to get back to their conservative roots and quit alienating those in this country who actually have some common sense and smarts.

If they dont, they deserve the status of a hasbeen and all that comes with it. People need to wake up and start voting their consience and not the party. Quit being sheep, that is what they want.

Tex

Let's all be honest here folks. The days of electing a truly conservative, republican president are OVER. Accept that fact. It will never happen again.

The electorate, from here forward will not do it because the make-up of America's electorate is changing. Those who made America into what we all remember from the 1950's and 1960's are slowly but surely losing their position as majority and that trend is irreversible in my opinion.

A new majority is taking over, as evidenced by the re-election of Barack Obama, proven to be one of laziest, most intellectually dishonest, and devisive presidents this country has ever seen. (And if anyone would like me to prove that assertion, I'll be glad to do it.)

I see the republican party splitting......the spineless RINO's moving left to compete with the "take-from-the-rich-give-to-the-poor-donks" for the spoils of whatever elected positions they can garner and true conservatives holding their ground, refusing to compromise their priniciples though slowly but surely losing the battle.

No, I'm not optimistic for the future of America.

Whitewing said:
tumbleweed_texn said:

Tex

Let's all be honest here folks. The days of electing a truly conservative, republican president are OVER. Accept that fact. It will never happen again.

The electorate, from here forward will not do it because the make-up of America's electorate is changing. Those who made America into what we all remember from the 1950's and 1960's are slowly but surely losing their position as majority and that trend is irreversible in my opinion.

A new majority is taking over, as evidenced by the re-election of Barack Obama, proven to be one of laziest, most intellectually dishonest, and devisive presidents this country has ever seen. (And if anyone would like me to prove that assertion, I'll be glad to do it.)

I see the republican party splitting......the spineless RINO's moving left to compete with the "take-from-the-rich-give-to-the-poor-donks" for the spoils of whatever elected positions they can garner and true conservatives holding their ground, refusing to compromise their priniciples though slowly but surely losing the battle.

No, I'm not optimistic for the future of America.

:agree:

The Boss and I had recently thought pretty hard about selling what property she has acquired in the Philippines. Then last week we got the word that ground had been broken on a new international airport less than 15 minutes from our house. That just jumped any asking price we had thought about by a factor of 10.

Then I jokingly made the comment that if things got really bad here, we'd move to PI, open up a whorehouse, and get filthy rich from all the Japanese "tourists" flying into the area. She looked me dead in the eye and said "Just say the word." :shock:

If it comes to it, retirement ain't looking all that bad!

I hear ya. The Hostile Native and I have had the discussion several times on what it would take to get this country back on track. We could not think of any scenario that would be pleasent. We have seriously considered selling out and buying a place just big enough to raise what we need for family and friends and callin it good. With everything going on and the direction we are headed, I see the govt forcing a bigger presence in the cattle industry and beef production.

Tex

Agriculture has always survived and it will this time too--probably not as we
are used to--but we do have the edge on being able to raise our own food, if
necessary. I guess I worry about what will happen to our private property rights as Obama is slowly but surely taking our rights away while he answers to NO ONE. He is taking down the greatest country in the world--but remember, he isn't doing it alone.

One thing very much in our favor is that I truly believe God is in charge.
He has set up rulers before and taken them down. America had a chance
in this last election...and it flunked the test. Romney may have not been
the best, (we'll never know) but he did love this country and had the
experience to get the economy going again.

Glad to see you posting again, Texas Tumbleweed. :D

tumbleweed_texn said:
I hear ya. The Hostile Native and I have had the discussion several times on what it would take to get this country back on track. We could not think of any scenario that would be pleasent. We have seriously considered selling out and buying a place just big enough to raise what we need for family and friends and callin it good. With everything going on and the direction we are headed, I see the govt forcing a bigger presence in the cattle industry and beef production.

Tex

You can count on that. Just look at the growth in federal employment since the Chosen One took over.

While there's not any moral conviction on the part of gubmint giving those new hires something to do for the money they're paid, eventually they'll get around to bothering honest, hard-working folks like cattle ranchers and farmers. Did I not see a story recently about the EPA's interest in controlling dust? If they can float a carbon tax trial ballon, how long before we see a dust tax?

Downsizing to something that a husband, wife, and a couple of kids can manage probably makes sense looking at the longterm. Some people are even considering leaving the USA for greener pastures.

It's a shame to say it, but eventually America will no longer pass the gate test, at least not the gate test for those who wish to get in for the opportunity it once represented to those willing to work hard and risk everything. No, it'll be a gate test to those who wish to get in to suck off the gubmint teat. I'm afraid that's probably the case today for a majority of those granted entrance, if they even bother with the formality.

tumbleweed_texn said:

Tex

While I fully agree about alienating folk.. I doubt what Newt or the liberals propose would actually help...

Newt and the liberals ideas are not to get back to conservative roots, but to drag the party further to the left.. that will just quicken our demise.. not help pull anything out of anything..

Steve said:
tumbleweed_texn said:

Tex

While I fully agree about alienating folk.. I doubt what Newt or the liberals propose would actually help...

Newt and the liberals ideas are not to get back to conservative roots, but to drag the party further to the left.. that will just quicken our demise.. not help pull anything out of anything..

Where's your faith in the T-Party which supposedly overwhelmed the 2010 elections??????

TSR said:
Steve said:
tumbleweed_texn said:

Tex

Where's your faith in the T-Party which supposedly overwhelmed the 2010 elections??????

the t-party is effective and works at the local level,.. and fighting against the established party elite is not easy and will take time..

especially now that they want to move further to the left again..

the 2010 elections shows that when conservatives stand on their values,.. they win.. and when we nominate a centrist candidate .. he loses..

Latest posts