• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Giving Back

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Giving back

My daughter and her husband are up at the Green Jacket ranch today. They are both ranch raised kids and love being outdoors around livestock. So no surprise right? Or maybe not.
Our neighbors are Alan and Liz Mitchell and they run a cow/calf operation and direct market beef to customers. They are wonderful neighbors and my kids spent some summers working for them on their beautiful ranch and farm. The winter of 22-23' hasn't been very kind to Mitchell's. To date, they've lost 33 calves from horrific storms and wind. Many calves were simply covered on drifting snow and died.
I got word from Liz's sister Mary Ann that both Alan and Liz were struggling and having a tough time finding a way forward. We are tight knit bunch out here on the desert and we care for each other. My wife immediately put a big supper together and I delivered it to them. We had a good long talk and looked for the positives as best we could.
I happened to mention the situation Mitchell's are in, in passing to my daughter.
She took the day off and so did Hyrum, to drive 65 miles and go help in any way they could. Hailey has also taken the rest of the week off to go help and work and support these two fine people who are down and hurting and working their guts out to save their cattle and their livelihood.
A wise old man once told me this-"You can pretend to care. But you cannot pretend to be there"! My daughter and her husband are amazing examples of showing up. Of being there when needed. Of doing more than talking. It's a gift that Mitchell's will never forget.
We can't change the terrible weather and the cattle lost and emotional toll it's taken. But we can stand with our friends and neighbors. We can go out into the snow and check on all the cattle, and be visible beacons of hope and resilience and kindness.
This winter has been one for the record books in Utah. But I won't remember that in my years I have left. I will remember the day I realized in living color that my kids are wonderful people and so much better than their father. And I have never been more proud that they call me dad.

A5F03ADF-BDFE-42EE-9949-E2C451D0CA93.jpeg

Giving back

My daughter and her husband are up at the Green Jacket ranch today. They are both ranch raised kids and love being outdoors around livestock. So no surprise right? Or maybe not.
Our neighbors are Alan and Liz Mitchell and they run a cow/calf operation and direct market beef to customers. They are wonderful neighbors and my kids spent some summers working for them on their beautiful ranch and farm. The winter of 22-23' hasn't been very kind to Mitchell's. To date, they've lost 33 calves from horrific storms and wind. Many calves were simply covered on drifting snow and died.
I got word from Liz's sister Mary Ann that both Alan and Liz were struggling and having a tough time finding a way forward. We are tight knit bunch out here on the desert and we care for each other. My wife immediately put a big supper together and I delivered it to them. We had a good long talk and looked for the positives as best we could.
I happened to mention the situation Mitchell's are in, in passing to my daughter.
She took the day off and so did Hyrum, to drive 65 miles and go help in any way they could. Hailey has also taken the rest of the week off to go help and work and support these two fine people who are down and hurting and working their guts out to save their cattle and their livelihood.
A wise old man once told me this-"You can pretend to care. But you cannot pretend to be there"! My daughter and her husband are amazing examples of showing up. Of being there when needed. Of doing more than talking. It's a gift that Mitchell's will never forget.
We can't change the terrible weather and the cattle lost and emotional toll it's taken. But we can stand with our friends and neighbors. We can go out into the snow and check on all the cattle, and be visible beacons of hope and resilience and kindness.
This winter has been one for the record books in Utah. But I won't remember that in my years I have left. I will remember the day I realized in living color that my kids are wonderful people and so much better than their father. And I have never been more proud that they call me dad.
I am proud of them too. 😍 Good job caring ❤

I am ever SO THANKFUL for my children as well, as they have persevered through all the hard labor and loss this white "moisture" this winter-that-never-ends has created.

Latest posts