• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Global Roundtable for Sustainable Beef

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Global Roundtable for Sustainable Beef? I think it's a scary proposition. Listen to some of Dr. Jason Clay's ideas on life. He is with the WWF (World Wildlife Fund), which seems to be tied in with the GRSB. His philosophy is quite scary also.

https://grsbeef.org/

I have read some of their information and had a friend who attended the GRSB.

I attended one CRSB. Sustainability means different things to different people. One fellow uses implants in the cattle in his feedlot and McDonalds said if that's what it takes to be sustainable it was OK with them.A&W just sat there not saying anything cause they went their own direction.
They seem to come up with initiatives for the rancher ie. documentation ect but no reward over commodity beef. McDonalds has a program for "Verified Beef" which is an improved version of Quality Starts Here program but again is the cost is pushed back to the primary producer.

Definitely have some thoughts..........

Once you accept the idea that beef production is not sustainable or that you need to prove beef production sustainability under some entities guidelines………….you have lost the battle.

Nature and natural processes have been proven to be sustainable for tens of thousands of years……….why should we accept that certain men have decided otherwise? That arrogance is unbelievable.

No shortage of out of touch folks wanting to dictate to you about how you can run your ranch.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/04/18/think-global-warming-is-bad-wait-until-you-meet-sustainability/

I agree with graybull. I also have to ask, WTH is NCBA doing on there?

https://grsbeef.org/page-1861857

Traveler said:

Trying to steer it in the right direction I would guess same as Canadian Cattlemens Association is on CRSB.
It's a fine line between watching ones interests to validating something by association. :?

Big Muddy rancher said:
Traveler said:

Trying to steer it in the right direction I would guess same as Canadian Cattlemens Association is on CRSB.
It's a fine line between watching ones interests to validating something by association. :?
I think I would rather see their position as flat out opposition to the basic premises, than part of a steering committee.

If they're not careful, they may not end up with enough moral high ground to point out the folly of the alleged associations of OCM, RCALF, HSUS, and PETA. Not making a direct comparison, but slopes do get slippery.

I do know the WWF rep on the CRSB was in favor of implants as it meant more beef with fewer cattle.
Hoping they can steer the carbon debate towards rewarding the rancher for sequestering carbon in the grasslands and also reward for providing SAR habitat.

I am on the edge on this if you can't tell. I don't like the idea of some of the ORG's telling us what to do but do we ignore the processors and retailers that sell our product? They are sitting at that table.

We have accepted that a usda roll provides safety and quality. Neither are true. It's time to deregulate and let my local processor, process and package my meat for sale without the necessity of governmental oversight. Mexican, Canadian, African, brazillian, meat isn't safer or cleaner than the meat processed by the butcher in my town. He obviously couldn't afford an inspector nor the useless compliance hassle.

If you want to learn more about GRSB there is a great YouTube video by a guy named Tracy Hunt. A rancher and former attorney from New Castle WY, Tracy has spent a lot of time researching this train wreck.

If the goal of WWF is fewer cattle, then they are also in favor of fewer ranchers. The conduct of JBS around the world speaks for itself. How many actual producers vacationed in New Orleans last week at the NCBA convention :shock: ?

Angus 62 said:
Oh, and how much of YOUR Checkoff dollars is NCBA using to promote GRSB?
That was something that crossed my mind for sure. None of the organizations got on there without a stiff pay to play.

Except that these aren't regulations. My take is that the end game is to shut producers out of the market that don't toe the line, and even place organization guidelines calling for limitations of red meat consumption. We've already seen calls for future market exclusions for producers that don't abide by BQA. The environmental aspects, such as
Net greenhouse gas emissions from the beef value chain are minimized on a per unit of product basis.
are what I find most concerning. The fact that NCBA joined this group in 2012, and internal media reports seem nonexistent, indicate that some red flags need to go up. We need support of our industry and it's inherent sustainability as a whole, not an obligatory anal exam, and not involvement in a group that follows the climate change and "social responsibility" mantra.

Good post Traveler. Groups like WWF know they cannot accomplish their agenda through legislation. But they have found willing accomplices who have a similar goals. Which is turning the last independent livestock producers into contract chicken and hog farmers. By controlling the market they can dictate how you will operate, and you become a serf on your own land.

Angus 62 said:
Good post Traveler. Groups like WWF know they cannot accomplish their agenda through legislation. But they have found willing accomplices who have a similar goals. Which is turning the last independent livestock producers into contract chicken and hog farmers. By controlling the market they can dictate how you will operate, and you become a serf on your own land.

That's been said for years....
Maybe it's getting closer. Is it?

Fowl and pig producers past life will seem like a picnic..........as they were only beholden to one master.........this new deal new green, new sustainability will be nothing short of eco slavery.........with dozens of masters telling you what to do and how to do it.

Superior started a weekly fed cattle video auction several years ago. Weeks go by without a single head selling. Packers need to buy cattle every week, why don't they've use this auction? Two reasons, they don't have to because they already control that market and the last thing in the world they want is price discovery.

That is where this is headed. Put enough constraints on access to the market place under the disguise of sustainability and you control the market. When that happens you will be told what you will raise and how you will raise it. Don't believe me? Look at what happened to the pork.

How do we fight this? You have to cut the head off the snake. The legal battle over the Beef Checkoff isn't about support for promotion of beef. Those states recently included in this lawsuit funnel huge amounts of money to the NCBA. Did any of you vote to use your Checkoff dollars to join GRSB?

Latest posts