• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Good Checkoff spending

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RobertMac

Reaction score
A weight lose study by the University of Illinois, partially funded by Ceckoff dollars, compared protein rich diet and exercise with USDA recommended diet and exercise. Both restricted calories combined with exercise programs and both achieved weight lose. BUT the protein rich diet participants lost more weight and almost 100% of the weight lose WAS FAT!!! The USDA diet participants lost less weight and 25-30% of their weight lose was MUSCLE!!! CBB should use this study to show that USDA food-guide pyramid with its restrictions on protein is unhealthy and that eating animal fats doesn't make people fat! :D

New slogan for beef ads...."BEEF...ITS WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU"
If beef ads aren't offending the grain industry or chicken and pork, they aren't effective. And CBB has proven that for over 15 years! :mad:

RM, thank you for recognizing and posting that the Beef Checkoff can do some good.

However, I do not understand your comment "If beef ads aren't offending the grain....chicken....pork industry, they aren't effective."

It seems many people believe the "Beef It's What's For Dinner" ads, among others, are very effective. Sure are a lot of peope who say they recognize them when asked in research questionnaires about them. Even the "Rodeo" them music is recognized and connected with beef. Now the new Boston Garden ads use similar sounding music and people say they are thinking "hey, that's one of those beef ads" when they hear it. (I'm hearing the Boston Garden ad comment from personal anecdotes, not research.)

Concerning the USDA Food Guide Pyramid......were it not for the work of the Checkoff, beef would be in a far less beneficial position there. For far too long there have been many people in positions of power in government food programs who firmly believe less red meat is better for people.Carol Tucker Forman was very influential for years along those lines. We can thank her for getting more alternative proteins in school lunches, for one. Probably high cost was the main reason she didn't succeed in getting beef replaced with yogurt! Other commodities have been far ahead of beef in influencing those powerful bureaucrats. Years of work by NCBA, it's predecessor organizations, and since it's inception, the Checkoff, CBB, et. al. have been working to better position beef. Our industry had to do the research to prove health benefits of beef. You also need to remember that beef is about the only food on that guide pyramid that is eaten at less than desirable amounts by most people. The recommendation is, I believe, five to seven ounces per day of beef.

There are ads pointing out the greater nutrition in a three ounce serving of beef than in comparable serving of poultry, even of the white meat, and the very similar fat content.

True, you and I may recognize that the fat in beef is beneficial. However, until the research is completed to prove that point, beef ads cannot make that claim.

True, you and I may recognize that the fat in beef is beneficial. However, until the research is completed to prove that point, beef ads cannot make that claim.

The other problem is that a majority of North Americans eat too much fat as it is. Weight loss programs that cut fat intake have shown results.

Recently I saw a MD on TV showing a vial of blood he claimed to draw from a patient. On top was a white 'sludge' then he proceeded to say he asked what the man had eaten. "A cheeseburger and a milkshake" exact words. He claimed the fat from those foods seeped into the man's blood and formed this white mess. Visuals like that don't help beef sales, even though it was clear deception. Because he is a MD he can make medical claims without repercussion as long as he isn't selling medicines.

Beef can't make claims without proof because it is a product sold for profit. The laws are wacky, but we have to live by them.

Right On, Robert! Again.....you demonstrate that you understand the real business of beef and beef's value.

Imagine a beef nutritional spokesperson who would spend more time promoting things like the great study you mentioned than defending the USDA pyramid (remember what a pyramid actually is.......yes, a tomb).

We can dream, can't we?

graybull said:
(remember what a pyramid actually is.......yes, a tomb).

Thank you and I did find the humor in that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The problem with the beef industry is that most producers and beef executives believe the M.D.s like the one Jason mentioned. The facts and proof are out there...more research(mostly from outside the USA) are showing the harm from excess Omega-6 fatty acids(hydrogenated vegetable oils) and the benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids(animal fats). It is the dramatic increase in hydrogenated vegetable oils in the last 100 years that parallels the increase in chronic health problems and research since 1985 is starting to prove this point. The real proof is coming from the food industry...has anyone noticed the ads talking about the elimination of trans-fats from foods??? Trans-fats = hydrogenated vegetable oils...substances your body doesn't know how to utilize. And most importantly, the final arbiter of sound science is own our side...NATURE!!!! Our genes developed eating animal fats!!

RM, I believe there is some interesting research at least partially funded with Checkoff money into the nutrient values of beef fatty acids. Have you looked into any of that? I'm sure you can find info on it at WWW.beefboard.org......or they can tell you where to get it, if you are interested.

Re. the Food Guide Pyramid....we may not like it.....it may be faulty.....however, government bureaucrats ARE going to be involved in telling our citizens what constitutes a "good" diet, in their "expert" opinion. We in the cattle/beef industry can either participate and work to position our product the best we possibly can get it and at long last, we have science on our side which makes it considerably easier, OR, we can belly-ache and point fingers and achieve nothing. It's our choice.

MRJ

Latest posts