• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Good Fire website

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

http://www.nifc.gov/fireinfo/nfn.html

I checked the conditions for Elko NV, one of my favorite spots, and it said "smoke". I knew their wet winter and spring would have a consequence. Lots of cheatgrass in that country.

had our first fire of the season break out only a few miles southwest of the homeplace yesterday....lots of ugly smoke, but by morning, the fire crews had her out!! Phewwww!! :D

I am just a little volunteer firefighter here in SW Oklahoma and to tell you the true we have been slow this year. (I shouldn't have said that, crap, better knock on some wood now) I don't mind all the fire calls but the meds. kick my butt. The worst one yet was a car wreck with a pick-up and a No-Till drill. :cry: :cry: Let's just say the No-Till won. On a side note, people just don't respect farm equipment and we all need to look out for them.

We had our first fire a couple weeks ago, we were amazed at how hot things burned, I guess these trees are so far behind in moisture it will take them awhile to get caught up. As much grass as we have and the way it is drying up, we may have big trouble next month if we get anymore lightning. This week is our fair and it seems like every year the end of the fair is the start of the fires. Better go get the fire fighter ready and make sure the dozer is full of fuel.

Brings back memories of 2002.

ELKO - Three wildfires remained uncontained today and the largest, the Esmeralda Fire, has grown to 100,000 acres as it approaches the community of Tuscarora.

The Esmeralda Fire started northeast of Midas and is heading away from that community, burning mostly grass and sagebrush.

Mike Brown, a spokesman for the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, said the fire was about four or five miles away from Tuscarora and heading toward it. Brown said homes and ranches have protection teams ready.

Sharon Rhoads, who lives about six miles south of Tuscarora, said fires were about three miles away, but the nearest one appeared to die down Monday night.

"It was pretty scary last night," said Rhoads, the wife of state Sen. Dean Rhoads.

She's already taken valuables out of the house and dug a fire break around it.

"We're just waiting and watching, I guess you'd say," she said.

Brown said firefighters were using aerial geographic information systems data to better map the spread of the Esmeralda fire. The perimeter covers about 100,000 acres, but some areas are unburned islands.

The Elko Interagency Dispatch Center reported high winds are causing erratic behavior and flames from 5 to 9 feet high. The fire is also threatening Lahontan cutthroat trout habitat.

The fire has 392 firefighters assigned to it and the blaze is about 10 percent contained. No structures have been damaged, Brown said.

Specialized fire management teams took over the Esmeralda and Wilson Complex Fires on Monday. All three blazes started Friday from lightning strikes.

Wilson and Contact

The Wilson Complex, 75 miles northwest of Elko, had two of its three fires burn together Monday, totaling about 58,000 acres. Brown said the fire was moving west near the Desert Ranch Reservoir and was about 60 percent contained. It's threatening five homes and 10 other structures, Brown said. There are 434 firefighters assigned to it.

Brown expects the Contact fire, about 20 miles south of Jackpot, to be fully contained by this evening. In the morning, it was about 85 percent contained. It burned three small, uninhabited structures and about 3,000 acres. It has 198 people assigned to fight it.

There have been no injuries from the fires.

The National Weather Service issued red flag warnings for low humidity and gusty winds for Humboldt and Elko Counties in effect until 9 p.m.

Randy Settje, a meteorologist for the weather service's Elko office, said he expects the high temperature to be 99 degrees today and winds to be mild out of the west and southwest, but stronger up north.

Latest posts