• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Good Mornin' All

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hanta Yo

Reaction score
A friendly good mornin' to all of you. We had a friend stop by our house (doesn't happen very often as we live WAY far out) and we go back 20 years. We are still up bullsh---en', that's why I am here now. Today we will be weaning the rest of the calves off the cows (we are fall calvers). Send good thoughts our way; we weaned calves off our young cows last week and have had some wrecks. Weaning really sucks no matter what new trick you try to make it better. NOTHING makes it better...you just ride it out. But this "remember when" with our guest is priceless....
We might be tired tomorrow (today) but I wouldn't change it for the world. Ranchers Wife, I really appreciate your "breaking in" the new day. Don't ever quit that, you've become something positive we depend upon! I appreciate all of you who join in this forum, I am new to this, and I enjoy reading the bantering that goes on. I also learn a lot of things...SH, I DID see a Mountain Lion at our neighbor's place a few years ago right after he lost one foal of a set of twin foals. We also had leased some property by the Musselshell to a horse breeder and he had some foals just "disappear". Nevertheless, he doesn't lease from us anymore (no skin off our teeth.) We have calves that just "disappear". We also have many coyotes and Bobcats and other things we haven't been able to single out.

Good morning from eastern oregon. It started snowing last night (finally), got about 3 very wet inches by 10:00. Of course that reallly kicked in the calving! Had 4 we brought in the barns to dry off. Now it's raining, we'll take what we can get!
I'm new here too, seems like everyone else knows each other! I do enjoy reading everything. Hope your weaning goes well!! :D

Hanta Yo said:
A friendly good mornin' to all of you. We had a friend stop by our house (doesn't happen very often as we live WAY far out) and we go back 20 years. We are still up bullsh---en', that's why I am here now. Today we will be weaning the rest of the calves off the cows (we are fall calvers). Send good thoughts our way; we weaned calves off our young cows last week and have had some wrecks. Weaning really sucks no matter what new trick you try to make it better. NOTHING makes it better...you just ride it out. But this "remember when" with our guest is priceless....
We might be tired tomorrow (today) but I wouldn't change it for the world. Ranchers Wife, I really appreciate your "breaking in" the new day. Don't ever quit that, you've become something positive we depend upon! I appreciate all of you who join in this forum, I am new to this, and I enjoy reading the bantering that goes on. I also learn a lot of things...SH, I DID see a Mountain Lion at our neighbor's place a few years ago right after he lost one foal of a set of twin foals. We also had leased some property by the Musselshell to a horse breeder and he had some foals just "disappear". Nevertheless, he doesn't lease from us anymore (no skin off our teeth.) We have calves that just "disappear". We also have many coyotes and Bobcats and other things we haven't been able to single out.

Hanta Yo- My wife would dispute SH too on the Mountain Lion sightings-- she went out one night to see why the horses were raising such a ruckess and walked head on into one- she says they look 10 times bigger when they are at the end of your flashlight beam...

We have seen quite a few up here on the Milk over the years... Except for losing a turkey gobbler I was saving for Thanksgiving dinner, the only problem we've had is a few times when they left the animals in an uproar.....SH is right about the paw prints- they are big enough you don't mistake them for a house cat-- they also usually leave a tail trail in soft snow or mud........

Nicky,

Always glad to see someone from my neck of the woods post here. Cold and clear over here in the Columbia Basin. My fall calves are really hitting the Creep hard here.

As for SH's Cougar comments, I don't think he was saying all sightings are wrong, he was saying they get a lot of flase alarms they have to respond to.

Reminds me of when we were Hunting Elk in the Mount Emily unit. My brother-in-law and I came into 5 different hunting parties the second morning. Everyone of them had someone in the party that had a story of either seeing a cougar or being stalked by one. This was the first year after the hunting ban.

We have both spent a ton of time in the woods. I finally looked at him and said," other than spotlighting, how often have you seen a cougar out here?" Not often. We both came to the conclusion that each party had someone in it that this was a story that felt good to tell, but was BS.

I tend to believe racnhers on sightings a lot more than suburbanites.

"I tend to believe racnhers on sightings a lot more than suburbanites."

A cougar was sighted in suburban Delaware and a suburbanite instead of just jawing about it was smart enough to video it hanging about in the woods right across from a gradeschool.
I was going to make a smart remark here but maybe enough said :D

One example won't change my opinion. My reference is in regards to guys who spend their time out there are more likely to know what they are seeing.

Nicky,

You must have sent some of that stuff here, it is now snowing and the ground is WHITE! You have no idea how bad we need this...I used to complain...nevermore...

Tell me more about yourself...

Good morning,
Well, it must've ALL gone to you cause ours is already melted! It started raining on it and was in the 40's yesterday so now it's mucky.
We have a ranch here in eastern oregon (out of Baker City), run commercial hereford cattle, raise Tennessee Walking horses (yes, they do make good ranch horses), and train bird dogs. Have to stay busy you know! I have relatives at Wilsall, where are you at?
Have a good day, hope you (and us) get some moisture! :)

Nicky, one of my main stand-by horses is half Tennessee Walking Horse. He is big, tough, and pretty good looking. He is a stocking-legged bald-faced buckskin. "Yellowstone" is not a super cutting horse, but he's not all that bad. When you tie on to anything with a rope, he doesn't even know it is there. Originally I had four full brothers that came out of Roberts, Montana, but this is the only one I still have. It would be hard to get along without him, and he has endurance galore. I have had other Tennessee Walking Horses in the past, and have found them to be good ranch horses.

Do you know anyone from your area by the name of Buck Buckingham? I met him on the Bicentennial Wagon Train trip as it came through Nebraska back in 1976. He was driving a fancy gypsy-type wagon that he had made himself, pulling it with four saddle horses strung out. He seemed to be a top hand, a super nice guy, and was the official "preacher" for the Wagon Train. I would like to get in touch with him again someday, but have had no luck using the "white pages" on the internet.

Hi Soapweed,
Name seems slightly familiar, will check it for you. Where in the Sandhills are you. I worked on a Hereford ranch in Lakeside for awhile. Let us know if you want any more horses!

Nicky;
You are in for it now as Soapweed just loves to buy horses. He'll probably be out to see you in a few days or at least when he gets his calvin' all caught up! LOL
Soapweed;
What happened to Saddletramp? Is he staying too busy to post any poems or what? Hope all is going well in the sandhills.
Read a prediction the other day that said we were supposed to be drier than normal thru May.

JB..."supposed to be drier through May"

Heck, these forcasters use previous years to forcast the weather,
and to be drier though May is almost a given in our area. Nothing
suprising there.

I propose, perhaps on Friday--heck anyday, we should all
take a crack at predicting the weather. We can't do any worse
than those being paid to do it, being published to do it
and we might find out how smart we really are. Maybe someone
here is missing his/her calling. I'm serious. Let's take a crack at it
at least for the upcoming 30 days, save it somewhere and see
who hits it best for their area.

Anyone interested in taking a crack at it? Forcast the weather in
your area for the next 30 days, or longer if you want. First one to do
it, just title the subject "Weather Forcast." You can use any
resources available to predict it, we don't care. JB, you brought
it up, do you want to be first? Please do! This could be really fun!

"Anyone interested in taking a crack at it? Forcast the weather in
your area for the next 30 days, or longer if you want. First one to do
it, just title the subject "Weather Forcast."

There you have it folks- another first on the Ranchersnet- weather fortune telling.
But Faster Horses, does this mean we all have to get
pregnant again? Seems like the forecasters on tv are
always wearing maternity clothes. If so, count me O-U-T!
Or in ranchersnet parlance "count me open."

Hi, Nicky,

Got the calves off the cows yesterday, weaning is never easy. It seems a person goes to great lengths to MAKE SURE wrecks don't happen. This morning we only had 1 calf out, got it in, looked around and a cow tried to jump the fence sometime during the night and didn't quite clear. She was hanging over the top of the fence with her front feet on the ground, hind feet dangling. Stupid cow. Spousie and I did get her off the fence with the tractor, she's a little sore but otherwise unhurt. I hope she is smart enough not to do that again. I also hope it was a warning to the rest of the herd...
I've been on this website about a month but it is fun. We live north of Billings, MT.
Welcome aboard!

Good morning,
Glad the weaning went well, hope they all stay healthy now. Did you get much snow? Ours melted the next day, is supposed to be clear and mild for the rest of the week. Might not have to spend much time irrigating this summer.
I'm having fun with this website, as Faster horses said it is addicting! :) Have a nice day.

Soap Loves to buy horses, heck he could have stopped by the Hermiston Horse Sale on the trip to Nickies.

Clear and dry in a lot of Northern Oregon. Been driving between Spokane and Portland a lot this week. Two shows. Will be in Portland at a Home and Garden show the rest of the week,

Glad weaning is over for you Hanta Yo.

Any of you Montanan's know Bob Blackwell? I actually brought him to Baker City area for some Horsemanship Demo's a few years back and
have used him a lot in other areas to. Bob kept stuff pretty simple and didn't try to peddlle any "Magic Sticks" and such. Curt Pate is the on who talked Bob into trying these demo's

PPRM

Latest posts