• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Good news from an Evacuee

Help Support Ranchers.net:

nr

Reaction score
We finally happily rec'd a letter from some New Orleans friends who fell out of contact after Hurricane Katrina hit.

Both teachers, they decided to evacuate and thought it would be brief like a previous evacuation had been. Instead they ended up in Kentucky.

They rented an apt. and the husband travels back and forth trying to maintain his job and fix their New Orleans house. They have such a marvelous attitude about their hardships. The mother said she will not let the children complain since their losses were minimal compared to so many. She lost her full time job but has a part time one available when they move back this winter. She said she thinks it will be a positive experience for the children since they've learned they can survive and thrive in a new setting. She compared it with what the depression era must have been like. She also thinks it will be a plus for the city which was so crime ridden. The whole school system was $150 million in the red PRIOR to Katrina and has been forced to delete the unsuccessful schools and go to magnet schools.

It was heartening to hear from someone with such a positive attitude in the midst of losses and demands for constant adapting.

Last I heard about my nephew down in Nawleans was that the "good ol' boy" network was holding up the money to pay anyone who has went down to do any work, so a lot have left the area. Guess they want all of the money in their own pockets.

Sounds like he's coming home also. This is just grapevine, so I could be wrong. Too bad when greed overcomes help for people! :mad:

Latest posts