• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Good Ol Fashion Entertainment

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mountain Cowgirl

Reaction score
Cy died 2020. I remember when Cy had the idea to start a cowboy chuckwagon entertainment dinner and many had their reservations that it would even last through one season. I traded my skills in setting up audio systems for a season worth of free dinners. I also did some guitar work and poetry for a couple of the early shows.

JP joined as a baritone singer years later. His folks were long time friends of my mothers and although I didn't know them, him, or his brothers very well, I remember attending some of the gospel singing where his family sang all four parts of the old time quartet styling with amazing beauty. Jerry was and is an amazing baritone and smooth as velvet.

I have long thought that someone in Eastern Oregon really missed out by not starting a similar chuckwagon dinner entertainment business.

Here is Cy the founder of the Bar D Wranglers and JP Baxter.

Foolish questions LOL

Must have been a great show.
They were especially great in the early days. Search Bar D Wranglers on YouTube for comedy and some great old singing on songs like Tumbling Tumbleweed. Good cowboy chuckwagon style food, comedy, poetry, and singing in those days and a wonderful afternoon and evening away from the ranch but still very authentic ranch. I hear now you have to book a year in advance.

Last edited:
I just found this hour long video that is about the area I grew up. I knew the Bar D boys when they formed in 1969. Near the end of the video, 50 minutes in, is a few scenes of a ranch near the family ranch where I grew up.

Starting at 20 minutes in really shows the musical talents of these boys.

One of Cy's funny songs starts at 14 minutes in. I am my own Grandpa hahaha!

I helped Cy with his original toilet seat guitar, introduced about 1970. I like the vibrato he made on his harp design. JPB is one of the smoothest baritone singers I have ever heard. I remember in 1969 many said Cy would never make it with such a crazy idea of cowboy comedy, chuckwagon dinners, and music. 54 years later and I hear that it is still going all hooves to the ground and kicking up dust.

Last edited:
Heck I just think someone should fire up the Durkee cafe. The wife informed me that we (she) are too old for that.

Heck I just think someone should fire up the Durkee cafe. The wife informed me that we (she) are too old for that.
Running a café in Durkee requires someone with lots of time on their hands, a haystack of baled cash, gold nuggets on the Burnt River banks going thru their ranch, and one in dire need of a non profit hobby. Maybe instead of a brick and mortar cafe serving 🤠 :coffee: 🥞 🥓 🍔 consider a 🌶️ 🌶️🌶️ breakfast and lunch 🌮🚌! A bilingual motorized mobile chuckwagon so to speak. Run that idea by your wife. 😂😂😂

Put that old horse trailer to good use.
XAPvAErBldRj.jpg

Slow down and have a Burnt River grill charred taco.
2249244228_38451023b1.jpg

Last edited:
Cy died 2020. I remember when Cy had the idea to start a cowboy chuckwagon entertainment dinner and many had their reservations that it would even last through one season. I traded my skills in setting up audio systems for a season worth of free dinners. I also did some guitar work and poetry for a couple of the early shows.

JP joined as a baritone singer years later. His folks were long time friends of my mothers and although I didn't know them, him, or his brothers very well, I remember attending some of the gospel singing where his family sang all four parts of the old time quartet styling with amazing beauty. Jerry was and is an amazing baritone and smooth as velvet.

I have long thought that someone in Eastern Oregon really missed out by not starting a similar chuckwagon dinner entertainment business.

Here is Cy the founder of the Bar D Wranglers and JP Baxter.

Joe Patenode was at a Horse Expo in Albany with a Chuckwagon for display in about 2004? I think he was selling Bed and Breakfast concept at their Ranch

Latest posts