• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Good rope for roping calves?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BlackCattleRancher

Reaction score
What would be a good rope for a very naive corn farmer who runs cattle and doesn't even own a horse to get to rope young calves on pasture for treatment over summer? THinking I'd tie off to the atv and be ~15' or so away from the target. Maybe I'm stupid thinking this is possible, never threw a rope in my life, but sure can be tough to get a little 300lb. calf corralled for a pinkeye shot. If I could rope him, it'd be done fast. Have no clue what kind or length of rope I'd even buy.

i wouldn't try ropin' off of the 4-wheeler, that is begging to be involved in a wreck. the safe thing would be to trail the calf to the corral.

just buy a rope with out any holes in it . :lol: :lol: :lol: no better not ,everyone is right ropes and atv's mix . but there are some lopes that you could learn on foot that would work .

I'd say you're gunna need at least a 60' extra soft with an aluminum honda on the end to have a chance of catching one at 30 mph. Better yet just chase the calf around so much that it's gasping for air and lays down in despiration to catch it's wind. Then be real quick with your LA before he gets up and gets away from you. Give him extra LA to help combat the respiratory issues you will deal with later.

Maybe it won't work. My cows have pretty good disposition, I can walk up to the and calves are usually pretty docile. I'm not planning to chase the calf down while twirling a rope. Thinking I'd park near the herd, close to the calf I want them calmly wait for opportunity and throw the rope. I know a 300 lb. can be a grizzly to wrestle without a horse pulling back but this is a few times a summer thing, not a 10 times a day occurrence.

I wouldnt rope it from off the ATV. I'd walk up to it and dab a loop on it sneeky like. practice a lot before hand by roping a small bale of hay. You'll only get one shot so make it count. The calves will wise up in a hurry. Good luck.

Cap-Chur makes a rope that sounds like it is just what you are looking for. It's called a dart gun. I've never used one but I have also roped my whole life. I think that trying to teach yourself to rope will be much harder than you realize. I would look for altenate ideas like a snare or chicken hook.

A calf hook can work good for that or one of those shark cages like Peach uses. If you use a rope don't hang on, just catch it and tighten it up and let go. Get on the quad and drive down the rope. Works well with a truck as well. Being a farmer you can find off label use for the rope in the off season. :)

If ya do, make sure the cameras running and we all will be able to watch the following week on Funniest Home Vidieos

excuse my french but i think your askin for an a$$ whoopin if you do that. ive seen some show cows become a mudslinger wannabe the minute a rope gets around their neck. take it from someone who knows, dont rope one off a four wheeler, especially if youve never thrown a rope before. my suggestion is load them up and bring them to the closest stockyard. usually they will let you doctor them over there.

leanin' H said:
I wouldnt rope it from off the ATV.

You'll only get one shot so make it count. The calves will wise up in a hurry. Good luck.

I would. :wink:

It's a sometimes good/sometimes bad experience but you remember them all. :shock: :lol:

A calf hook such as Per is referring to is a handy tool also and can make for some good stories when you have to catch and hold a retreat at 20 mph.

Latest posts