• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Good Sunday Mornin', Dad (again)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shortgrass

Reaction score
Good Sunday Mornin', Dad. It is Father's day, isn't it? I tried to rush it, and make it come a couple of weeks early, but, alas, to no avail! Now, that it is the real Father's Day, I felt it appropriate to tell one more story about my dad. He had a stroke some 16+ years before he passed away. He recovered physically quite well, but his speech skills never returned. His thought process worked fine, but he was never able to tell others what he was thinking.

About a year into what would be nearly 17 years of struggling to communicate, the folk's pastor asked Mom & Dad to give a testimony of God's seeing them through their ordeal. Mom asked me what I would say, and, although, I had no ready answer Dad did. He pointed upward towards the heavens, where God resides, slowly, and with difficulty, the two words came. "He said"; after a pause as he clasped his hands together, then his voice quivered as he added, "He'd hold it" (meaning his hand). He had struggled to say that, but then he relaxed and as calm and plain as you please, he said, "and He will, too". As we thought of the ordeal that was behind us, Dad seemed to sense the struggles that lay ahead, and expressed, very eloquently, his trust in his God to see him through. Dad was right, as the Lord held his hand (and mine) all those days until He took him home. I always looked to that simple sentence (The Lord said He will hold your hand, and you can count on it) as my dad's parting advice to me. Thanks for the opportunity to share it with all you.

If ya want some good reading, read Isaiah 41: verses 10 and 13. Now, have a good Sunday mornin' and a mighty fine Father's Day.

Thanks Shortgrass. Your father was a wise man.

A good friend and neighbor who was almost like a father to me passed away this week. I worked for him on and off since I was still in high school.

He was a lawyer by trade, took in summer cattle on the family ranch, and was active throughout his life in local and state politics. He knew a lot of people and had a lot of connections.

Not one to mince words, he made many friends and probably a few enemies everywhere he went. :wink: He had strong conservative values, but was a bleeding heart liberal when it came to helping someone who was truly down on their luck. He did what he could to help many people in difficult situations.

My own father has been gone many years now. Those of you who still have dad, do something special for him today.

:) Great message.The ones of us that were lucky enough to have great dads,makes today bittersweet.

Happy Fathers day all!

Hugs to Jan!

Wonderful fitting message for Father's Day.

Have a very happy Father's Day!

Had to say thanks for your words. I don't post much here but do like to come over on Sunday mornings and I look for your posts.
Thank you.

Latest posts