• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Good Sunday Mornin'

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shortgrass

Reaction score
Trees are sprouting up in homes all over. Christmas is upon us. Some well meaning Christian folk feel that Christmas is a compromise with pagan ways because pagans had a celebration around December 25th that involved trees. It wasn't that way at all. The early Christians offered an alternative to the pagan celebration. They, nor do I, have any desire to partake in pagan ways. They offered a time to celebrate the fact Christ came to experience our lives so that we know that He understands our joys and grief, our pain and our pleasure, and to give His life for our sins. The tree in our home points to the tree upon which he gave his life. The evergreen points to the gift of eternal life that he gave us. The gifts that we leave at the foot of the tree point to us coming to the foot of the cross to offer our lives to live for Him. Each gift we place beneath the tree, let us think of giving our lives to live for Him, and each gift we recieve from the tree, let us think of what He gave for us. Have you given your life to Him? He gave His for you. The old testament saints looked ahead to the coming gift as we look back to the time that He came to give Himself for all for mankind. Truly that event is a cause to celebrate. Because of the added festivities this time of year, it is hard to "be still and know that I am God". Yet, knowing that He is God is the key to experiencing the true meaning of Christmas, and all life. He is God, and He loves us and He came to us so that we can live eternally—Let the celebration begin!!! :D :D . Have yourselves a good Sunday morning and a mighty fine Christmas. Jan and I want to wish all you folks the very best Christmas ever (so far anyway :lol:).

Shortgrass said:
Trees are sprouting up in homes all over. Christmas is upon us. Some well meaning Christian folk feel that Christmas is a compromise with pagan ways because pagans had a celebration around December 25th that involved trees. It wasn't that way at all. The early Christians offered an alternative to the pagan celebration. They, nor do I, have any desire to partake in pagan ways. They offered a time to celebrate the fact Christ came to experience our lives so that we know that He understands our joys and grief, our pain and our pleasure, and to give His life for our sins. The tree in our home points to the tree upon which He gave his life. The evergreen points to the gift of eternal life that He gave us. The gifts that we leave at the foot of the tree point to us coming to the foot of the cross to offer our lives to live for Him. Each gift we place beneath the tree, let us think of giving our lives to live for Him, and each gift we recieve from the tree, let us think of what He gave for us. Have you given your life to Him? He gave His for you. The old testament saints looked ahead to the coming gift as we look back to the time that He came to give Himself for all for mankind. Truly that event is a cause to celebrate. Because of the added festivities this time of year, it is hard to "be still and know that I am God". Yet, knowing that He is God is the key to experiencing the true meaning of Christmas, and all life. He is God, and He loves us and He came to us so that we can live eternally—Let the celebration begin!!! :D :D . Have yourselves a good Sunday morning and a mighty fine Christmas. Jan and I want to wish all you folks the very best Christmas ever (so far anyway :lol:).

Thanks, Shortgrass. That is a very interesting lesson about the evergreen Christmas tree, and one that I had not before heard.

Merry Christmas to you and Jan, and to eveyone else across Ranchers Dot Net Land. :)

From the gang here on the Homestead we wish you all a Merry Christmas. And many thanks to Shortgrass for these Sunday morning devotions.

Thank you Shortgrass for the Good Sunday Mornin' message. It was awesome. Like Soapweed, I'd never heard the lesson on the evergreen tree and Christmas. lazy ace and I have been a little slow in getting our tree up...finally yesterday. For some reason the place now feels more "Christmasy."

Our tree was bought in Bismarck ND from a nursery, and was grown in North Dakota. One of the things I miss the most from my youth and about living in the mountains of Colorado is picking and cutting our own tree. It was a family tradition we all looked forward to, even if it was trekking through feet of snow to find the right tree. In Colorado it was consider "range improvement" to cut our own tree. Here in South Dakota we spend a considerable amount of time and money keeping our trees alive, so I am sure I'd be tarred if I even mentioned cutting down a tree! :lol: Although lazy ace assures me someday we'll go over to the National Forest around Slim Buttes and pick and cut our own tree.

Merry Christmas to you and your family Shortgrass. We continue to keep you and Jan in our prayers. We hope Jan is continuing to do well.

Christmas Cheers---

TTB :santa:

Thank you as usual Shortgrass, wishing you and Jan a very Merry Christmas!! And everyone else out there.

Merry Christmas to you and Jan, Shortgrass!

Your post today got me doing a little surfing this morning about the origin of the Christmas tree.

Near as I can tell St Boniface in 7th century Germany is credited with using a simple non-decorated triangular fir tree to illustrate the Trinity to those who formerly worshipped the pagan god Thor.

Then in 16th century Germany Martin Luther first used the predecessor of the modern decorated trees we put up nowdays.

http://christmasarchives.com/trees.html

Thank-you shortgrass,you and Jan have THe best Christmas ever ,enjoy your family :)

Merry Christmas to all my ranchers.net friends,you helped us through a rough yr,your all great people!

Latest posts