• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Good Sunday Mornin'

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shortgrass

Reaction score
Did ya ever have a dog that wouldn't listen? I am dealing with that now. I had a good Border Collie that was a lot of great help to me. She got cancer, and had I to put her down. Now I have a nice English Shepherd. A pretty dog that likes me, and I like her, but she won't listen to me. All she wants to do is play games. She will call off real easy; obedience is not the problem. I never need to holler. When I say "That's enough, Sunday (her name is Sunday)," she will be right back at my heels. She downs, and comes fine. Trouble is I can't get her to sic. She will not pay any attention when I try to put her on a cow. She won't even get a cat if I tell her to. She loves to chase any thing that will run, and is death on the cats when she is playing games. She will heel the cattle nicely when she is playing, but will ignore me when it's time to work. I like her, but she just isn't much good to her master. I am reminded of the scripture that says "But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. Therefore if any one cleanses himself from the latter he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master (2 Tim 2:21)." Maybe we should learn to leave the game playing behind, not ignore the words of the Master, and simply listen to Him. Then we will be ready for every good work (a vessel of gold or silver). Sunday and I would be much closer if she would just listen. She obeys pretty well, but won't listen. Sounds crazy, huh? I think there is lesson is in there for us to profit by. Have yourself a good Sunday mornin'.

Shortgrass said:
Did ya ever have a dog that wouldn't listen? I am dealing with that now. I had a good Border Collie that was a lot of great help to me. She got cancer, and I had to put her down. Now I have a nice English Shepherd. A pretty dog that likes me, and I like her, but she won't listen to me. All she wants to do is play games. She will call off real easy; obedience is not the problem. I never need to holler. When I say "That's enough, Sunday (her name is Sunday)," she will be right back at my heels. She downs, and comes fine. Trouble is I can't get her to sic. She will not pay any attention when I try to put her on a cow. She won't even get a cat if I tell her to. She loves to chase any thing that will run, and is death on the cats when she is playing games. She will heel the cattle nicely when she is playing, but will ignore me when it's time to work. I like her, but she just isn't much good to her master. I am reminded of the scripture that says "But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. Therefore if any one cleanses himself from the latter he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master (2 Tim 2:21)." Maybe we should learn to leave the game playing behind, not ignore the words of the Master, and simply listen to Him. Then we will be ready for every good work (a vessel of gold or silver). Sunday and I would be much closer if she would just listen. She obeys pretty well, but won't listen. Sounds crazy, huh? I think there is a lesson in there for us to profit by. Have yourself a good Sunday mornin'.

Maybe your dog, Sunday, came by her good name and her "sanctification" too easy. Had you named her Monday, or Tuesday, or some other working day of the week, and made her earn the right to be sanctified and called "Sunday," possibly she would be a more useful dog. :wink:

When Peach and I were newly-weds, we fed hay the first two years with four head of Belgians. We traded for these young rather broncy horses shortly after we were married. Knowing Peach's love for all things holy, I suggested we name the horses Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. She wisely realized that there would possibly be times we weren't all that happy with these broncs, so should call them something else. I decided to go with the Rushmore Four--George, Tom, Teddy, and Abe. This worked out well, because politicians are accustomed to their constituents often not being all that pleased with their performance. :wink:

Thanks for your message, Shortgrass. You raise a good point. We all need to listen to our Master, and help Him move the herd instead of chasing cats up trees. Hope your pup pans out and may Sunday be good for all week.

Most all good lessons and examples can be found in the Bible ! God Bless !! :)

Thanks for the message. :D

Now about Sunday the dog. Is she loose to play when she wants? A working dog should be kenneled except when your with them whether to work or play.

She will be ready to work when you are. :)

Shortgrass, You should have called your dog Friday! I haven't read the atory about Robinson Crusoe and his friend for a long time but as I remember, Friday was a very obedient, cooperative character, qualities I'd like to have in my next cowdog. I reckon your dog, Sunday, gave up trying to live up to the image expected--kind of like preacher's kids
I have known who considered recreation more important than responsibility.

For some reason I have had the same demands of a dog that Soapweed has talked about in some of his posts. I like to have them along for company but don't expect them or want them to be aggressive. Actually, I guess,I would rather train a kid to help than I would a dog.

Back in the early 60s I had three kids. Soapweed and his oldest sister were in school. Sybil was 4 and a half. I didn't have a hired man that fall or a cow dog so it was up to me and Sybil to do a lot of work horseback. Sybil and Spot were quite a pair. Both of them could easily qualify for the name " Friday".

My mother had a great relationship with her grandkids. One day she asked Sybil, "Do you like to ride just for the fun of it or do you ride to help your dad. Here was Sybil's response, "Heck, I have to do all the work. Dad is always up ahead openiing gates or moving cattle out of the way. He never helps me any!"

A couple or three years earlier, I was in the same boat. I didn't have a hired man or a cowdog. Little Soapweed was in kindergarten so I postponed most of my ridiing until he got out of school. We had barely gotten TV. Reception wasn't very good since it had to come all the way from Rapid City. It came looking like a fuill fledged blizzard most of the time but Soapweed could hardly wait to see his favorite cowboy-Indian show when hie got home and was very disappointed when I had a cowboy job lined up. Sandra was three at the time and felt terribly sorry for her brother. She told me, "Daddy, I wish you would get a hired man so Stevie wouldn't have to work so hard!"

Anyway, Shortgrass, You might want to adopt a kid or two if Sunday doesn't shape up!

Great Stories Bob. :D

One day the three kids,Tammy and I were moving hfrs. We could see a bunch of wagon train folks moving vehicles up to their next stop. The kids were upset cause we were moving cattle and they wanted to ride with the "real" cowboy on the wagon train.
Funny thing was we had friendson the wagon train and they saw us moving Hfrs and wish they could be helping the real cowboys.
Tammy took the kids down to the noon stop and put the kids in the wagon of a good friend for the afternoon trek. They enjoyed it.

Latest posts