• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Good with Lamb

Help Support Ranchers.net:

OldDog/NewTricks

Reaction score
Mint Marmalade
I have a big Mint Plant

Time 20 minutesServes 68
Ingredients

2 pounds green apples
1 quart water
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 cups fresh mint leaves
sugar
green food coloring
How to make it

Cut the apples in thick slices, but do not peel them or remove the core. Place the apples, the water, the lemon juice and the mint leaves in a large saucepan. Let them come to a boil and simmer, with the saucepan open, for approximately 10 minutes.

Mash the apples with a wooden spoon and boil them for another 15 minutes or until they become a pulp.

Strain the mixture through a cheese cloth in a bowl and let it sit overnight.

Measure the juice and put it back into the saucepan.

Add 1 cup of warmed up sugar for every cup of juice and stir over the fire until the sugar has dissolved.

Boil until it sets. Add a few drops of color into the mixture, until it has the desired coloring.

Take the saucepan off the heat and let it sit for 2 minutes.

Empty the mixture into warm, sterilized jars.

When they have cooled off, seal them and place labels with the date of preparation.

My motto is that any meat that has to be served with jelly to make it taste good is no meat fit for consumption. Only had a tasty sheep once and that was cooked up on a spit. Would love to eat that again but I don't know of any qualified Mexican nationals in my general area.

Just teasing you, Old Dog. I'll bet some folks will appreciate your recipe. :wink:

I think it looks delicious. It's a good old school jelly recipe, from before the days of Certo. The apples will add extra pectin to help it set. I make lots and lots of jelly every year, and I'm going to try this. That is, if my mint plant gets big enough. :wink: It's just a baby plant.

For anyone who tries this, to know if it's set enough to quit cooking, the test is that you dip a spoon into it, and if it "sheets" off the side of the spoon, it's done. It shouldn't drip off, it should kind of stick and form a little jelly blob hanging off the side of the spoon.

Thanks for posting that. :D

Latest posts