• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Goodbye Rumensin?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Beefman said:
Econ101 said:
Beefman said:
Finally. You make a statement I can agree with. I find your detail on vaccines and immunology accurate and easily understandable.

I must however, take great issue with your detail and level of understanding on antibiotic use, and association with creation of resistant strains of bacteria. The points you present on this issue borders on the most extreme level of sensationalism I have ever read on this site.

Bayer did pull Baytril (poultry label) off the market in Sept '05. The veterinary and scientific community have debated this issue (as it relates to fluoroquinolones) for 20 years. There is every bit as much peer reviewed scientific data, if not more, that would shoot your theories out of the sky.

Furthermore, your sentence near the end of your post.......

(Econ speaking) They can be more "efficient" and low cost if they can put the costs of poultry litter on the farmer, even though they are polluting it with arsenic and antibiotic resistant bacteria. This is all to make poultry cheaper. Cheaper poultry means that it gains market share over beef.

.......is pure BS. You site the story of the girl with the cut on the leg, and also the couple that got sick after opening court documents. Of course, I am sensitive to the little girl that got hurt, and the couple you site that got sick. However, any association to antibiotics / resistance is a real stretch. A search of major newspapers in North Carolina and stories regarding Sanderson Farms yield absolutely no proof sources to either event. If you have a proof source / statement here, bring it.

Econ further states......."By giving high level antibiotics to our animals instead of spending the money to deal with this problem from a phisical management perspective, we are growing these superbacteria."

.......this statement doesn't even make sense. Is this really your sentence? Since you state giving high levels "to our animals", means you're tossing in all species. Can you cite an example of giving high levels of antibiotics to any species for anything other than therapeutic reasons?

You also site a recent tour of a Tyson poultry plant. I've heard that for insurance and security reasons, following 9/11, the number of "tours" processors will offer has ground to a screeching halt. Every major processor, regardless of the species represented, have spent mega millions on pathogen reduction. Your assumption that Tyson is chilling birds in the same "contaminated" water is another check you cannot cash.

You conclude by saying cattle packers and processors (I'll assume you also meant to throw the pharmaceutical companies in) are using influence what USDA and others are doing for safety and "we are all a little more at risk"..... And then the Hudson statement......my, my, my.......

Wow Econ, your imagination must be running wild this week. Lighten up, those black choppers you think are out there are really TX fans celebrating the national championship.

Spoken by one who points out that I-40 does not run through Kansas but fails to realize that it was a fiction example to make a point. Festus was ficticious too, Beefman. Maybe you are the one who has trouble with fact vs. fiction and its use in getting points across. Maybe you just want to be argumentative. It is good to have something to do on this board. It has been pretty quiet.

Just because the article is not on the net does not mean that it was not an article. Do you beleive everything on the net or that everything has to be on the net to be real? Maybe you ascribe to theory that if AMS or GIPSA did not collect data on fraud, it doesn't exist. Talk about propagana control!!!! Sounds almost like the gates to published articles.

Beefman: "Bayer did pull Baytril (poultry label) off the market in Sept '05. The veterinary and scientific community have debated this issue (as it relates to fluoroquinolones) for 20 years. There is every bit as much peer reviewed scientific data, if not more, that would shoot your theories out of the sky. "

I wonder why it took 20 years. :roll: The fact that it took 20 years is of some concern. Yes, the actual complex the woman worked for in Tx had an outbreak of these bacteria. Yes, Johns Hopkins has researched the antibiotic resistant bacteria strains in poultry barns, and yes it was a much advertised study and subsequent results. Their findings were irrefutable by the industry interests and was probably a large reason for the removal of Baytril off the market. I spoke to the actual fellow who did the "grunt work" on one of the studies. My sources are not some newspaper article, they are direct sources. This can be googled.

By the way, the Sanderson Farms complex she worked in was in Bryan, Texas. That was the same complex where one of her fellow egg growers killed the complex manager and hurt another management employee. Sanderson sold the farmers on a pay system that was based on egg production of a certain type of meat chicken and after their farms were built Sanderson changed the breed to Cobb(I believe that was the new breed) chickens that produced a larger chicken for the growers but they laid less eggs than the previous breed. That little adjustment made money for Sanderson Farms but cheated those egg houses out of income because of the lower egg production in the new breed. That is what led to the shooting of the complex manager, not some off the wall propaganda of his personal problems. Sanderson was the causative agent of his personal problems. As a matter of fact, the man made the Sanderson Farms manager call his house and apologize to his wife before he shot the two and then killed himself.

I will post the article on that shooting on its own post.

Are you saying that Tyson does not chill some of its chickens at some of its plants in the same water? Don't tell me that is a check I can not cash. Put your money where your mouth is and I will donate it to Big C when I win the bet. How about $100.00? Do you want to make another bet that I toured a plant this last year? How about $100.00 that I will donate to R-Calf. You could have dual representation by both of these groups.

Beefman: "Econ further states......."By giving high level antibiotics to our animals instead of spending the money to deal with this problem from a phisical management perspective, we are growing these superbacteria."

.......this statement doesn't even make sense. Is this really your sentence? Since you state giving high levels "to our animals", means you're tossing in all species. Can you cite an example of giving high levels of antibiotics to any species for anything other than therapeutic reasons? "

High is a relative term and I will not argue that point. Are they giving antibiotics to poultry as a part of regular feed? Yes, of course they are. Are they getting a vet to look at each individual flock before prescribing these antibiotics? No, they are not. I think this answers your question. "All" animals was your assumption, not mine. You can toss all species in to make up some argument with yourself if you want. As I have said with Agman and SH, I will let you win any argument you have with yourself. The antibiotic regiment in beef is probably not as "bad" as in poultry, but there are some abuses there.

Even medical doctors have stopped prescribing so many antiobiotics to children when they get ear infections. The fact is that overuse of antibiotics does allow harmful bacteria to develop resistance to the antibiotics used. It does not happen overnight, but it is a biological fact/ For you to deny this is ludicrous. It seems your self interest of continuing to solve problems with drugs instead of management is showing. It is the general population that these costs are being shifted to. That is why Baytril was removed from the market. It didn't happen with the help of the poultry or cattle industry, it happened over their objections. Medical doctors were smart enough to see the problem and the solution but your self interests have put up strong objections to this cost shifting back where it belongs.

Humans are animals, and medical doctors have adjusted their practices as it pertains to ear infections. Chickens are animals and it has been proven scientifically by Johns Hopkins. It is still a concern with any large scale use of antibiotics in any species. What were you talking about here when you were talking about "species", pet turtles?

Beefman: "You conclude by saying cattle packers and processors (I'll assume you also meant to throw the pharmaceutical companies in) are using influence what USDA and others are doing for safety and "we are all a little more at risk"..... And then the Hudson statement......my, my, my.......

Wow Econ, your imagination must be running wild this week. Lighten up, those black choppers you think are out there are really TX fans celebrating the national championship."

Keep up the little propaganda, Beefman. It can not hide all of the facts. You may be technically correct that the FDA has a little more say on the issue but we all know the FDA is being run by objective science---Just look at :roll: viox.

Do you want to make any of those bets? Money talks, BS walks.

By the way, I have had some of those black choppers overhead before. I live close to a military base. There was a lot of action late at night prior to the Iraq invasion. Kind of interesting to see some of that big equipment being moved by choppers. Our armed forces are really something.

OCM was serious as a heart attack when they mentioned I-40 went thru KS. It was a big error on their part. And yes, since you asked, I enjoy and recognize fiction. Grisham is my favorite. Occasionally, I enjoy reading the massive quantities of fiction you post here.

You were the one that planted the seed suggesting the girl in the field / court document recieving couple were contaminated with resistant bacteria. I asked you to provide a proof source. Obviously, you can't.

You can keep your $$ in your pocket for now. I frankly could care less whether or not you've spent time in a chicken processing plant. Where you work is of no concern to me. Your assumption with multiple birds rinsed in chilled water and providing a source of massive bacterial contamination, while supporting the proliferation of resistant bacteria is a statement that cannot be supported with any creditable data.

I will concur that MD's have decreased rx dispensing for children's ear infections. Hinda hard to tie that type of resistance to what you're suggesting is going on in the poultry barn.

I kinda thought you were blowin smoke with this one, Beefman.

Only you would expect a ficticious example to be real. You missed all of the guts of the article to point that out. I think your post says more about you than how OCM would react. I like to put a few of those in myself sometimes. Separates attitude. You showed yours.

On the drug resistant bacteria in both of those cases, those are facts. No one needs your approval to make it so.

Drug resistance in kid's ears due to over prescribing antibiotics is what we are talking about here. What are you talking about? It is the same as introducing antibiotics in a population of children as it is in a population of animals. If we use up all our medical defenses on animals, we don't have them left for us (people). All for a dollar. It just happens to be a dollar you have an interest in. Thanks for pointing out your bias.

Econ, obviously you have never spent much time caring for babies and small children screaming in pain from earaches, or you would understand why doctors have grossly over-prescribed antibiotics for ear infections!

MRJ

MRJ said:
Econ, obviously you have never spent much time caring for babies and small children screaming in pain from earaches, or you would understand why doctors have grossly over-prescribed antibiotics for ear infections!

MRJ

Who do you think waited with them in the lobby before seeing the doctor? If you don't have the next generation of antibiotics to use than what the germs are resistant to, you will keep hearing them scream.

Care to comment on these two studies on the bad side effects of growth hormones and antibiotic use.

Breast J. 2004 Nov-Dec;10 (6):514-521.

Transformation of MCF-10A human breast epithelial cells by zeranol and estradiol-17beta.

Liu S, Lin YC.

Laboratory of Reproductive and Molecular Endocrinology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Ohio State University, 1900 Coffey Rd., Columbus, Ohio 43210-1092, USA.

Among the endocrine factors associated with breast cancer, estrogens are considered to play a central role in human breast carcinogenesis. Breast cancer risks are increased by long-term exposure to estrogens. Zeranol (Ralgro) is a nonsteroidal agent with estrogenic activity that is used as a growth promoter in the U.S. beef and veal industry. To determine whether zeranol and estradiol-17beta play a role in the neoplastic transformation of human breast and to compare the estrogenic potency of zeranol to that of estradiol-17beta in human breast, we treated human breast epithelial cell MCF-10A with different doses of zeranol or estradiol-17beta for 10 repeated treatment cycles. By utilizing the doubling time assay, soft agar assay, and reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) assay, we showed that 10 repeated estradiol-17beta or zeranol treatment cycles to MCF-10A cells decrease the doubling time of the cells by 30 to 40% and stimulate colony formation in soft agar and induce estrogen receptor beta (ER-beta) mRNA expression, all of which are not dose related in our tested dose range. Furthermore, we show that zeranol and estradiol-17beta have a similar potency in the stimulation and inhibition of gene expressions in human breast cancer cell line MCF-7 by RT-PCR. These results indicate that both zeranol and estradiol-17beta can induce human breast epithelial cell neoplastic transformation with similar potency in the long-term exposure through the oxidation-reduction (redox) pathway and/or ER-beta-mediated pathway.

PMID: 15569208 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

(What this study is saying, is that at levels even lower than those approved by the FDA (USA), for growth hormones in meat, they are capable of causing tumor growth (neoplastic transformation) in breast cells. Some will be malignant and some may be benign. Also, the hormones caused an increase of 30 to 40%, in the time it takes for these cells to double, ie: 10 to 20, 20 then to 40, and so on. This report was supposedly funded by the Pentagon.)

J. Food Prot. 2005 Nov; 68(11):2411-9.

Antibiotic resistance and hypermutability of Escherichia coli O157 from feedlot cattle treated with growth-promoting agents.

Lefebvre B, Diarra MS, Giguere K, Roy G, Michaud S, Malouin F.

Centre d'Etude et de Valorisation de la Diversite Microbienne, Departement de Biologie, Faculte des Sciences, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada J1K 2R1.

In a longitudinal study (165 days), we investigated the effect of growth-promoting agents (monensin and trenbolone acetate-estradiol) and an antibiotic (oxytetracycline) on the incidence in feedlot steers of Escherichia coli O157, including antibiotic-resistant and hypermutable isolates. Eighty steers in 16 pens were treated with eight combinations of promoters, and each treatment was duplicated. Fecal samples were collected at nine different sampling times for detection of E. coli O157. Overall, 50 E. coli O157 isolates were detected in treated animals, and none were found in untreated animals. Compared with untreated controls, there was a significant association between the utilization of growth-promoting agents or antibiotics and the shedding of E. coli O157 at day 137 (P = 0.03), when a prevalence peak was observed and 50% of the isolates were detected. Multiplex PCR assays were conducted for some virulence genes. PCR results indicated that all except one isolate possessed at least the Shiga toxin gene stx2. MICs for 12 antibiotics were determined, and eight oxytetracycline-resistant E. coli O157 strains were identified. Antibiotic-resistant strains were considered a distinct subpopulation of E. coli O157 by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis typing. Seven of these antibiotic-resistant strains were isolated early in the study (on or before day 25), and among them two were also hypermutable as determined by rifampin mutation frequencies. The proportion of hypermutable strains among E. coli O157 isolates remained relatively constant throughout the study period. These results indicate that the use of growth-promoting agents and antibiotics in beef production may increase the risk of environmental contamination by E. coli O157.

(This study is saying that animals dosed with antibiotics and/ or growth hormones, shed E. coli 0157 strains of bacteria. The animals in the test study which were not treated with them, did not shed the E. coli bacteria in their feces. There are others studies similar to this. One such report, stated calves fed milk replacers with antibiotics increased the levels of E. coli 0157 shed in their feces, as well. This explains why meat processors are very concerned about manure on the cattle - tag.)

for MRJ,
There are alot of doctors who work with no vaccines. One group out of Chicago (I'll try to get you their names), has found that the babies/children that they deliver and care for (home births mostly) don't get ear infections. What is different about their practice, is they do not promote vaccines. These children do not get poked and prodded with needles for every conceivable disease. They are not exposed to products like thimerasol, a mercury based preservative used to kill the many, many other bacteria and viruses which have contaminate most vaccines.

I just learned recently, that in many of the states in the USA, newborn babies are given a vaccine shot for hepatitis on the day they are born. This is ridiculous. The levels of mercury in that shot are, by USA's own health standards, only "safe" for a man that weighs 250 pounds; but, no they can't even listen to their own standards - they inject it into a 6 to 8 lb baby. Our children will have no chance for a healthy life if we continue to contaminate their bodies with chemicals and heavy metals.

I have also heard that the veterinary medicine field, in the USA anyways, has removed thimerasol from dog vaccines, because the mercury was killing too many dogs.

Kathy said:
Care to comment on these two studies on the bad side effects of growth hormones and antibiotic use.

Breast J. 2004 Nov-Dec;10 (6):514-521.

Transformation of MCF-10A human breast epithelial cells by zeranol and estradiol-17beta.

Liu S, Lin YC.

Laboratory of Reproductive and Molecular Endocrinology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Ohio State University, 1900 Coffey Rd., Columbus, Ohio 43210-1092, USA.

Among the endocrine factors associated with breast cancer, estrogens are considered to play a central role in human breast carcinogenesis. Breast cancer risks are increased by long-term exposure to estrogens. Zeranol (Ralgro) is a nonsteroidal agent with estrogenic activity that is used as a growth promoter in the U.S. beef and veal industry. To determine whether zeranol and estradiol-17beta play a role in the neoplastic transformation of human breast and to compare the estrogenic potency of zeranol to that of estradiol-17beta in human breast, we treated human breast epithelial cell MCF-10A with different doses of zeranol or estradiol-17beta for 10 repeated treatment cycles. By utilizing the doubling time assay, soft agar assay, and reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) assay, we showed that 10 repeated estradiol-17beta or zeranol treatment cycles to MCF-10A cells decrease the doubling time of the cells by 30 to 40% and stimulate colony formation in soft agar and induce estrogen receptor beta (ER-beta) mRNA expression, all of which are not dose related in our tested dose range. Furthermore, we show that zeranol and estradiol-17beta have a similar potency in the stimulation and inhibition of gene expressions in human breast cancer cell line MCF-7 by RT-PCR. These results indicate that both zeranol and estradiol-17beta can induce human breast epithelial cell neoplastic transformation with similar potency in the long-term exposure through the oxidation-reduction (redox) pathway and/or ER-beta-mediated pathway.

PMID: 15569208 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

(What this study is saying, is that at levels even lower than those approved by the FDA (USA), for growth hormones in meat, they are capable of causing tumor growth (neoplastic transformation) in breast cells. Some will be malignant and some may be benign. Also, the hormones caused an increase of 30 to 40%, in the time it takes for these cells to double, ie: 10 to 20, 20 then to 40, and so on. This report was supposedly funded by the Pentagon.)

J. Food Prot. 2005 Nov; 68(11):2411-9.

Antibiotic resistance and hypermutability of Escherichia coli O157 from feedlot cattle treated with growth-promoting agents.

Lefebvre B, Diarra MS, Giguere K, Roy G, Michaud S, Malouin F.

Centre d'Etude et de Valorisation de la Diversite Microbienne, Departement de Biologie, Faculte des Sciences, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada J1K 2R1.

In a longitudinal study (165 days), we investigated the effect of growth-promoting agents (monensin and trenbolone acetate-estradiol) and an antibiotic (oxytetracycline) on the incidence in feedlot steers of Escherichia coli O157, including antibiotic-resistant and hypermutable isolates. Eighty steers in 16 pens were treated with eight combinations of promoters, and each treatment was duplicated. Fecal samples were collected at nine different sampling times for detection of E. coli O157. Overall, 50 E. coli O157 isolates were detected in treated animals, and none were found in untreated animals. Compared with untreated controls, there was a significant association between the utilization of growth-promoting agents or antibiotics and the shedding of E. coli O157 at day 137 (P = 0.03), when a prevalence peak was observed and 50% of the isolates were detected. Multiplex PCR assays were conducted for some virulence genes. PCR results indicated that all except one isolate possessed at least the Shiga toxin gene stx2. MICs for 12 antibiotics were determined, and eight oxytetracycline-resistant E. coli O157 strains were identified. Antibiotic-resistant strains were considered a distinct subpopulation of E. coli O157 by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis typing. Seven of these antibiotic-resistant strains were isolated early in the study (on or before day 25), and among them two were also hypermutable as determined by rifampin mutation frequencies. The proportion of hypermutable strains among E. coli O157 isolates remained relatively constant throughout the study period. These results indicate that the use of growth-promoting agents and antibiotics in beef production may increase the risk of environmental contamination by E. coli O157.

(This study is saying that animals dosed with antibiotics and/ or growth hormones, shed E. coli 0157 strains of bacteria. The animals in the test study which were not treated with them, did not shed the E. coli bacteria in their feces. There are others studies similar to this. One such report, stated calves fed milk replacers with antibiotics increased the levels of E. coli 0157 shed in their feces, as well. This explains why meat processors are very concerned about manure on the cattle - tag.)

A couple of questions for you Kathy.

In the breast cancer study, it appears to me the studies are using the growth hormones directly in the breast tissue. Is that correct?

If it is accurate, wouldn't it be more to the point to use hormones collected from the meat from animals treated with that hormone, rather than giving the animal dosage to the brest tissue in order to replicate what would theoretically be ingested by eating meat from animals so treated?

Has there been any study done using levels of hormones a human would ingest eating broccoli, and such naturally hormone producing vegetables,to see the effect of those naturally occuring hormones as contrasted with the introduced hormones such as those fed to animals?

In the study on e Coli shedding.......does this mean that there was no e Coli within the animals not shedding it, or simply that in untreated animals the e coli was not yet to a stage where it would shed?

I notice the date of Nov. 2005 on the e coli info. What was the date of the study itself? Do you know if that University is working with the E Coli working group in the USA? I don't have the correct name of the US group, but it is a cross-industry group including many players from producers, to processors, to universities, and probably more. One thing I do know for sure is that they achieved goals in reducing e coli incidences far ahead of schedule as of more than a year ago, but work continues to improve further. If you are interested, you may be able to access info at www.beef.org.

e coli is a particular interest for me, partly because it frustrates me no end that unions will not allow testing of food processing and food service workers to find out if any of them carry e coli. That is a very real threat, yet because of "privacy" we are not able to test for it. It is such a serious illness, we should not omit ANY means to cut the incidences of it, IMO, and most certainly not for fear of embarrassing people about their personal hygiene. Or the lack therof!

MRJ

Rod said:
Intensive livestock operations, when overcrowded, are breeding grounds of infection and mutations. Its mother natures natural defense for overcrowding. .... Don't run so many in close to one another, and Mamma Nature isn't going to try and thin the herd down.

Rod, you hit the nail on the head...Corona or no Corona! :D
Natural selection....survival of the fittest....evolution and adaptation of a species to fit their environment

Note the statement below

Kathy said:
for MRJ,
There are alot of doctors who work with no vaccines. One group out of Chicago (I'll try to get you their names), has found that the babies/children that they deliver and care for (home births mostly) don't get ear infections. What is different about their practice, is they do not promote vaccines. These children do not get poked and prodded with needles for every conceivable disease. They are not exposed to products like thimerasol, a mercury based preservative used to kill the many, many other bacteria and viruses which have contaminate most vaccines.

I just learned recently, that in many of the states in the USA, newborn babies are given a vaccine shot for hepatitis on the day they are born. This is ridiculous. The levels of mercury in that shot are, by USA's own health standards, only "safe" for a man that weighs 250 pounds; but, no they can't even listen to their own standards - they inject it into a 6 to 8 lb baby. Our children will have no chance for a healthy life if we continue to contaminate their bodies with chemicals and heavy metals.

I have also heard that the veterinary medicine field, in the USA anyways, has removed thimerasol from dog vaccines, because the mercury was killing too many dogs.

Kathy, my question/point about mothers of children with ear infections pushing doctors to prescribe antibiotics was rhetorical since my kids never had ear infections and my grandchildren have outgrown them (if any actually had the problem, not sure they did). But I've known many people who did have children with problems, going back to my childhood and I'm 65 now.

I'm more interested in answers you might have to my questions re. your post on research in breast cancer tissue and e coli. but thanks for the kind thought re. the ear infections question.

MRJ

MRJ said:

MRJ

MRJ are you saying they shouldn't give antibiotics for ear infections? Ever have a eardrum rupture from one?

rancher said:
MRJ said:

MRJ

MRJ are you saying they shouldn't give antibiotics for ear infections? Ever have a eardrum rupture from one?

No. Relax! I'm saying (and I've read this often) that antibiotics may not ALWAYS be the best choice for SOME ear infections and that they are over-prescribed because some parents demand them. I was saying that I could understand why parents react that way.

MRJ

MRJ said:
rancher said:
MRJ said:

MRJ

No. Relax! I'm saying (and I've read this often) that antibiotics may not ALWAYS be the best choice for SOME ear infections and that they are over-prescribed because some parents demand them. I was saying that I could understand why parents react that way.

MRJ

Sorry, read it wrong. I agree

MRJ,

the link which will get you to the breast cell study is:
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1075-122X.2004.21410.x

At this blackwell-synergy site you can hit thePDF[207KB] blue marker and download the whole study.

apparently these doctors have done previous studies which elude to some of your questions.

"We have shown that meat and serum
from zeranol-implanted cattle possess heat-stable mitogenicity
for cultured breast cells, and that both normal and
cancerous human breast cells exhibit estrogenic responses
to zeranol (6–8)."

6. Lin YC, Mulla Z, Kulp SK, Sugimoto Y, Farrar WB,
Brueggemeier RW. Biological activity in serum and meat of Zeranolimplanted beef cattle: Regulation of proliferation and estrogen-induced gene expression in normal breast cells and MCF-7 cells. Proceedings 10th Int Cong Endocrinol 1996;1:p2–798.

7. Lin YC, Kulp SK, Sugimoto Y, Brueggemeier RW. Potential risk
of growth promoter in beef for breast cancer growth. Era of Hope,
Department of Defense Breast Cancer Research Program Meeting
Proceedings. 2000;II:480.

8. Irshaid F, Kulp SK, Sugimoto Y, Lee K, Lin YC. Zeranol stimulates
estrogen-regulated gene expression on MCF-7 human breast cancer
cells and normal human breast epithelial cells. Biol Reprod 1999;60
(Suppl. 1):234–35.

As for further studies on natural estrogens from, like you say brocolli, if you search through the "Entrez Pubmed" website search engine you might find what your looking for. I haven't looked for any studies of this nature.

I did find a study done upstream and downstream of a Nebraska feedlot which used growth hormones. It was estimated that a minimum of 10% of the growth hormones used were excreted in the urine, and much of it ended up in the nearby river. The fish were suffering downstream, of sexual identiy crisis - what I mean here is the males showed physical features of females, and the female fish showed physical features of the males. The reproductivity of these fish had also declined. These hormones cannot be filtered out of our drinking water.

As for the E. Coli study, I believe they only tested the feces of these animals and not the stomach contents, etc. When I worked at a hospital years ago, one of the microbiologists did a thesis on E. Coli and there is no doubt that everyone has some of the 157H variety within them. The questions we need answered are why are cattle shedding more of this E. coli when they are on growth promotors/antibiotics. It makes logical sense, that if a human is on antibiotics that they may shed the E. coli just like the cattle did. Another question, is does the bacteria use the metabolites of the growth hormones/and or antibiotics to aid in its speedy growth and mutation?

Thanks for the link, I'll check it.

Latest posts