• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Goodlatte(HC) levels harsh words for BSE testing FOR PACKERS

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
Mike is the OIE not made up of members from 164 member countries ? This is a quote from the OIE
The subcommittee considers testing of all cattle slaughtered for human consumption to be unjustified in terms of protecting human and animal health
. This was part of the US report from the OIE filed on Feb. 2 2004. And I think if you look at why some of these countries are testing you will find it is because they failed to impliment any precautionary measure to protect from the problem. Japan is testing to win back consumer confidence because they tried so hard to hide the fact, they got caught and that was the only way to save face. The reason the US and Canada are not sitting in the same risk catagory that some of these other countries are is because we had firewalls and safeguards in place to protect from a full blown disaster long before we ever found BSE. Some want to paint all BSE affected countries with the same brush but doesn't the precautionary measures taken by a country count for anything, the OIE seems to think they should.
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
2
Location
Montgomery, Al
Tam said:
Mike is the OIE not made up of members from 164 member countries ? This is a quote from the OIE
The subcommittee considers testing of all cattle slaughtered for human consumption to be unjustified in terms of protecting human and animal health
. This was part of the US report from the OIE filed on Feb. 2 2004. And I think if you look at why some of these countries are testing you will find it is because they failed to impliment any precautionary measure to protect from the problem. Japan is testing to win back consumer confidence because they tried so hard to hide the fact, they got caught and that was the only way to save face. The reason the US and Canada are not sitting in the same risk catagory that some of these other countries are is because we had firewalls and safeguards in place to protect from a full blown disaster long before we ever found BSE. Some want to paint all BSE affected countries with the same brush but doesn't the precautionary measures taken by a country count for anything, the OIE seems to think they should.

Tam, Not to cut you short...but I am not interested in the least about what the OIE says. I think of them as I do the UN. It's a sham. Testing is about food safety as well as consumer confidence, and finding it. DEFRA, FSA, and others think so anyway.
 

RobertMac

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,705
Reaction score
0
Location
Mississippi, USA
Tam, I'm not here to speak for or defend the USDA.

We are taking your beef and, as for transparency, why aren't you demanding it be sold as a "PRODUCT OF CANADA".

The poor domestic consumer always has the option to stop eating beef...and many have. Testing is to give the consumer confidence that the beef offered for sale to them is safe. Hopefully a useful byproduct of testing would be to learn the answers to this BSE problem.
 

Murgen

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
2,108
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario
What good would demanding that it be labelled as "product of Canada', when you are the ones that are relabelling it and gain .20 to .30 a pound reselling it. Half of what has been going to the US is being pawned off as American and leaving the "good ole USA". Should make you proud eh!

We'd like you to label it COOL, we'd probably have customers knocking down our door for the quality they are used to.

All the while knowing that the CFIA is an honest group that promotes our beef, and the safety of our testing etc.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Sandman: "What has R-CALF said that was inaccurate and groundless?"

Hahaha!

What has R-CALF said that wasn't inaccurate and groundless?


"Canadian beef is unsafe"? That was a lie!

"USDA doesn't care about food safety"? That's a lie!

"Canada is processing downer cows"? That's a lie!

"USDA has not gone far enough to assure the safety of our consumers"? That's a lie!

"BSE is a Canadian problem"? Another lie!


Again, what has R-CULT & Co. stated that wasn't inaccurate and groundless?

Try a more difficult question next time!


Robert Mac: "Testing is to give the consumer confidence that the beef offered for sale to them is safe."

Bull!

Testing cattle less than 24 months of age SAYS NOTHING!

Creekstone's Fielding even admitted BSE testing of cattle less than 24 months of age does not assure food safety.

All BSE testing of cattle less than 24 months of age does is create a "PERCEPTION" of safety!


Safety from BSE is guaranteed by the ruminant feed ban, increased surveilance, removal of BSE positive animals from the food chain, banning the slaughter of downer cows, and SRM removal.

That's what guarantees food safety, not BSE tests that won't reveal anything in younger cattle.


~SH~
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
Mike said:
Tam said:
Mike is the OIE not made up of members from 164 member countries ? This is a quote from the OIE
The subcommittee considers testing of all cattle slaughtered for human consumption to be unjustified in terms of protecting human and animal health
. This was part of the US report from the OIE filed on Feb. 2 2004. And I think if you look at why some of these countries are testing you will find it is because they failed to impliment any precautionary measure to protect from the problem. Japan is testing to win back consumer confidence because they tried so hard to hide the fact, they got caught and that was the only way to save face. The reason the US and Canada are not sitting in the same risk catagory that some of these other countries are is because we had firewalls and safeguards in place to protect from a full blown disaster long before we ever found BSE. Some want to paint all BSE affected countries with the same brush but doesn't the precautionary measures taken by a country count for anything, the OIE seems to think they should.

Tam, Not to cut you short...but I am not interested in the least about what the OIE says. I think of them as I do the UN. It's a sham. Testing is about food safety as well as consumer confidence, and finding it. DEFRA, FSA, and others think so anyway.
Talk about a sham Isn't telling the consumer it is BSE free because we tested it a sham when the test could be wrong like it was on the Texas cow. And according to most experts if the animal is not within a few months of showing clinical signs it will test neg. even though the animal is positive. The OIE and I know you don't care but they say removal of the SRM's is what makes the meat safe not the TEST. We may have to turn to testing but it will be for perception sake only. And if you really want to find it why are the on farm dead and dieing not being tested in the US we know they are the ones that are at the highest risk not healthy under aged slaughter animals even Japan will testify to that.
 

Murgen

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
2,108
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario
Safety from BSE is guaranteed by the ruminant feed ban, increased surveilance, removal of BSE positive animals from the food chain, banning the slaughter of downer cows, and SRM removal

And I'm not sure this is being done in the US as it is in Canada, but keep telling the world our beef is unsafe RCALF, we'll make sure you rot in hell for it!
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
Murgen said:
Safety from BSE is guaranteed by the ruminant feed ban, increased surveilance, removal of BSE positive animals from the food chain, banning the slaughter of downer cows, and SRM removal

And I'm not sure this is being done in the US as it is in Canada, but keep telling the world our beef is unsafe RCALF, we'll make sure you rot in hell for it!

Hell's Bells, Murgen. :roll: Look at what other countries are actually doing. Take Japan for example. They don't even listen to the OIE, what makes you think a US rancher's orginization will sway them? Countries will do what is in their best interests to do, regardless.
 

rkaiser

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
1,958
Reaction score
0
Location
Calgary Alberta
Always interesting to read about SRM removal as THE guarantee of food safety.

Isn't a guarantee an assurance of the TRUTH.

Problem is - as far as BSE is concerned, what is the truth. Never proven to be transmissable. Never proven to jump from one species to another; especially cow to human. vCJD is just like BSE but never proven to be caused by it.

One truth is, packers dont' want BSE testing. Thus SH's opinion.

What makes SRM removal more of a guarantee than testing. Nothing.

Never been found in young cattle. Great. But what does that have to do with reassuring, even if it is as much of a farce as SRM removal. Take out the SRM's, but don't tell me for a second that this is any more or less of a reassurance than BSE testing if a customer asks.

Testing will happen. It is totally unnecessary, but it will happen.
 

Murgen

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
2,108
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario
Hell's Bells, Murgen. Look at what other countries are actually doing. Take Japan for example. They don't even listen to the OIE, what makes you think a US rancher's orginization will sway them? Countries will do what is in their best interests to do, regardless.

Tit for tat Sandhusker, they are playing your game. They were waiting for you to find a case! They will rub it in the US face, that you are not treating others as you demand to be treated! Other countries can play with politics too, not just the US. Get a grip!

By the way how much does the US owe Japan anyway? You're a banker, you should know the answer?
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
Murgen said:
Hell's Bells, Murgen. Look at what other countries are actually doing. Take Japan for example. They don't even listen to the OIE, what makes you think a US rancher's orginization will sway them? Countries will do what is in their best interests to do, regardless.

Tit for tat Sandhusker, they are playing your game. They were waiting for you to find a case! They will rub it in the US face, that you are not treating others as you demand to be treated! Other countries can play with politics too, not just the US. Get a grip!

By the way how much does the US owe Japan anyway? You're a banker, you should know the answer?

In case you haven't noticed, Murgen, I have a lot of problems with my government's trade policies. Please don't make the mistake that I back what is going on.

I don't know how much we owe Japan, if you are referring to govt. debt. I do know that foreign ownership of our debt is at worrisome levels. By the way the US is treating Japan with this beef deal, you would think WE owned THEM. Once again, I am embarrassed by how the US is handling that. :oops:
 

mrj

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
4,530
Reaction score
1
Location
SD
RobertMac said:
Big Muddy: "...R-CALF is tieing the USDA's hands with the court system ."

The Law is tying the USDA's hands...R-CALF is using the court system to make sure that USDA follows the law. R-CALF has no power to close the border...the border is closed because of laws.

{Isn't it a decision by a judge, rather than a law that is keeping the border closed? If that judge based his decision on flawed (at best) or false (more likely) information........where does that leave "the law".....not looking pretty, IMO. MRJ}

You side stepped Sandhusker's question...If Canada isn't taking beef and cattle from other countries with confirmed BSE cases, why should you demand that the USA take your beef and cattle? Or why should Canada take USA beef and cattle?

To answer a question you posed earlier...I think the export of all cattle, beef, and beef by-products from countries with confirmed BSE should stop except for tested products until we get our hands around the throat of this BSE problem.
 

RobertMac

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,705
Reaction score
0
Location
Mississippi, USA
Murgen: "...you are the ones that are relabelling it..."

I'm not relabeling Canadian beef...don't be general with pronouns, be specific with nouns. The 'you' that you are referring to is the packer conglomerate that has Canadian producer under their thumb, won't allow labeling, won't allow testing, and aren't helping Canadians open new markets for your beef.


SH: "Creekstone's Fielding even admitted BSE testing of cattle less than 24 months of age does not assure food safety."

SH: "Safety from BSE is guaranteed by...removal of BSE positive animals from the food chain..."

I'm sure you don't see the contradiction here.

Randy: "Problem is - as far as BSE is concerned, what is the truth. Never proven to be transmissable. Never proven to jump from one species to another; especially cow to human. vCJD is just like BSE but never proven to be caused by it."

Politics and economic interest(read as packer interest) are road blocks to finding the truth. Until the truth to the underlying causes of BSE are found, this BSE problem won't be solved.
 

RobertMac

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,705
Reaction score
0
Location
Mississippi, USA
{Isn't it a decision by a judge, rather than a law that is keeping the border closed? If that judge based his decision on flawed (at best) or false (more likely) information........where does that leave "the law".....not looking pretty, IMO. MRJ}

If a frog had wings...
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
RM: "The 'you' that you are referring to is the packer conglomerate that has Canadian producer under their thumb, won't allow labeling, won't allow testing, and aren't helping Canadians open new markets for your beef."

Won't allow labeling?

Consumers aren't asking for it so why would a processor support adding expense without benefit?


Won't allow testing?

BSE testing of cattle under 24 months of age will not reveal anything anyway. Like "M"COOL it's a complete waste of money.


Aren't helping Canadians open new markets for their beef?

What's wrong with the U.S. market for Canadian beef?


RM: "I'm sure you don't see the contradiction here."

There is no contradiction!

The positive animals that are removed from the food chain are over 30 months of age. You support testing of cattle less than 24 months of age which will not reveal anything.

Hardly comparable but nice try again Robert!


RM: "Politics and economic interest(read as packer interest) are road blocks to finding the truth. Until the truth to the underlying causes of BSE are found, this BSE problem won't be solved."

Conspiring minds continue to ignore the obvious in favor of never ending conspiracy theories. The fact remains, no animals have been found in Canada or the U.S. to be BSE positive that were born since the ruminant feed ban or during the ruminant feed phase out period despite an incredible testing effort in both countries to find BSE.


NEXT!


~SH~
 

mrj

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
4,530
Reaction score
1
Location
SD
Sandhusker said:
Murgen said:
Hell's Bells, Murgen. Look at what other countries are actually doing. Take Japan for example. They don't even listen to the OIE, what makes you think a US rancher's orginization will sway them? Countries will do what is in their best interests to do, regardless.

Tit for tat Sandhusker, they are playing your game. They were waiting for you to find a case! They will rub it in the US face, that you are not treating others as you demand to be treated! Other countries can play with politics too, not just the US. Get a grip!

By the way how much does the US owe Japan anyway? You're a banker, you should know the answer?

In case you haven't noticed, Murgen, I have a lot of problems with my government's trade policies. Please don't make the mistake that I back what is going on.

I don't know how much we owe Japan, if you are referring to govt. debt. I do know that foreign ownership of our debt is at worrisome levels. By the way the US is treating Japan with this beef deal, you would think WE owned THEM. Once again, I am embarrassed by how the US is handling that. :oops:

A better question than how much the USA owes Japan just might be how much debt did the USA forgive Japan from WWII?

MRJ
 

SASH

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
567
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern Manitoba
A better question than how much the USA owes Japan just might be how much debt did the USA forgive Japan from WWII?

MRJ

That's an interesting perspective. I always thought the reason that the US rebuilt Japan after WWII was that the US was the ones that blew it up in the first place.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
SASH: "That's an interesting perspective. I always thought the reason that the US rebuilt Japan after WWII was that the US was the ones that blew it up in the first place."

Anyone want to argue that?

I don't!


~SH~
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
2
Location
Montgomery, Al
~SH~ said:
SASH: "That's an interesting perspective. I always thought the reason that the US rebuilt Japan after WWII was that the US was the ones that blew it up in the first place."

Anyone want to argue that?

I don't!
~SH~

Not arguing, but I bet the U.S. didn't get paid back for the total ruination of Pearl Harbor, which started the whole thing.
 

Latest posts

Top