• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Got 'er done

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Well, after spending two hard hours this morning on the stupid USDA Ag Census survey, it is finally ready to mail. It was due on March 1st, but my thinking was if it was ignored long enough the problem would go away. It didn't. :roll: After receiving a phone call indicating the importance of the survey, and the fact it is the law to fill it out, I suckered. The guy was nice, and laughed at my feeble attempts of humor, so he coerced me into complying. I think they owe me for two hours of hard labor, though. :)

Soapweed you sound like all of us here. Only thing is when we all got the second notice and the letter about how it was to be done by law everyone got right on them. :? You must have really procrastinated.

Just read that the deadline was extended to June1 due to the fact many have not been returned. I was wondering if anyone hasn't filled them out in previous years and what happened if you didn't. I hate those things, ours is still on the office desk.

Having thrown our's away twice, we had a person show up and said they would help me fill it out. They said get your income tax returns and records and we'll be done in about 2 hrs. Said i don't think so and showed them the door. We'll see what happens.

We filled ours out a few days after receiving in the mail...we didn't want the black helicopters showing up in our yard :shock: :eek: :wink:

mn said:
Having thrown our's away twice, we had a person show up and said they would help me fill it out. They said get your income tax returns and records and we'll be done in about 2 hrs. Said i don't think so and showed them the door. We'll see what happens.

What you just stated sounds a bit creepy.

I'm not sure they ( USDA/gov't, etc) have the authority to ask for your personal income records etc.

Never have filled one out and they haven't showed up yet. None of their business what we are doing or how much we produce, they want anything we do make anyway and are getting too!!

I heard the fine is something like $100 or $500 per question if you don't send it back. I think they're bluffin' though, at least I hope so cause I haven't returned mine yet.

Kept getting reminders til I filled it out- and I had to fill out 2 since one was on the place I just bought (paid for) last year.....

I did- but I didn't spend any great amount of time going into guaranteeing everything was totally accurate....They ain't gonna give us an accurate picture out of it anyway- USDA will mold it to fit into the "guvments" (lobbyiests) way of thinking anyway- just like they do everything else..... :( :mad:

For several years when they would call about my not sending in the info they wanted I would ask (usually some sweet sounding gal) so what do you make every year? How many kids do you have? Is your house paid for? How much do you owe the bank? How many credit cards do you have? You get the gist of where I was going with these questions. I would tell them that I tell my finances to my wife, my accountant and the IRS, if the wanted to know more they could ask one of them. Since then I have been face to face with GOD a couple of times and decided that a less antagonistic approach would be more fitting, so now I fill out the forms quite timely but with my poor memory I don't think the numbers are always correct, but what the hay I tried to do my best.

I know a guy that when he gets called about a survey always says a most agreeable "yes, I will answer the questions, but first I have one for you."
So the caller asks what he wants to know and the guy says, "How will I get paid?"

"Paid?" says the caller,

"Yes, paid" says the guy. "You are getting paid to ask these questions and I figure I should get paid for answering them."

Faster horses said:
I know a guy that when he gets called about a survey always says a most agreeable "yes, I will answer the questions, but first I have one for you."
So the caller asks what he wants to know and the guy says, "How will I get paid?"

"Paid?" says the caller,

"Yes, paid" says the guy. "You are getting paid to ask these questions and I figure I should get paid for answering them."

Good answer! Statistics Canada loves to do all manner of surveys, but I don't think they can force us to fill out the paperwork anymore. They also love phone surveys, and then spout the accumulated statistics they are given as gospel, but of course they are mostly just best guesses or pure bull!

Latest posts