• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

gotta brag a little

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Kato said:
What a fine handsome dog he is! 8) 8) 8) 8)

My GSD Zelda was a wonderful cattle dog, and we miss her a lot. It's very true about the tending style that they have too. Boy, nothing gets out of the gate! They have a very strong sense of "everything in it's place". :D :D :D

New puppy Elsa shows the same potential. Just like Brix, she's so smart it's a little scary. Keeping me on my toes, that's for sure. Once we survive puppyhood, I'm sure we'll have another good cattle dog.

With Zelda, and Elsa too, we started out with a lot of leash work, especially in the corral. It's the only way to develop a good set of brakes! Once the voice commands were solid, then the leash came off. Working groups was her strong point, and she loved to empty a pen. It was amazing how, as soon as the last animal walked through the gate, it was like you turned off a switch. She came for a pat, and walked away. You could even make her walk slower just by telling her from way across the pen. It was fascinating to watch. She'd walk slower and slower until she was at the right speed for the moment. My husband couldn't believe it.

In the beginning he didn't think Zelda would ever make a cattle dog, but we proved him wrong in a big way. He's not so skeptical with Elsa, having seen how it worked out once before. 8)

Sounds alot like my Border Collie she get's moving things to fast all I have to say is easy and she slows down.She also comes for a pat on the head when the works done then to the house she goes (Just like the Kids)

Latest posts