• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Graham School for Cattlemen

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rem_243

Reaction score
Has anybody ever been to this or heard anything about this school, http://www.grahamschool.com/index.htm
It seems good on paper. Is there any other schools that teach PGing? I would think the class would pay for itself pretty quickly.

My brother went in '90 or '91. He learned a bunch in a hurry there, and has been using that since.
I think his preg-test results would recommend their school.

Yes... My dad went in the 60s..... The best!!! Be ready to study and learn alot!! Lots and lots of material..... Daddy did his own c-sections for years after he went...

I went in 2005. Learn alot in a short amount of time, its a 5 day course and its not no 830 to 330 school day most days were 10 to 12 hours, packed full of information. The nice thing is once you pay the price and complete the class, you can go back anytime for free, or just come for a certain day if you need to learn more in a certain area. Definantly learned alot from the others there, i think there was 19 of us in the class from at least 12 different states.

Glad this topic was brought up, a buddy and I really want to go for Pregging, but a week away from the operation is very hard on us. Is there a time of year that you would suggest attending or are they all the same?

4Diamond said:
Glad this topic was brought up, a buddy and I really want to go for Pregging, but a week away from the operation is very hard on us. Is there a time of year that you would suggest attending or are they all the same?

If you get in go.... No matter what you will be ahead.... I have a picture of my dad and his class, but don't have a way to scan it for you..

I went in the late 90's. Really enjoyed it and learned alot. Only problem is the fill your brain so full in such a short amount of time that you have a hardtime remembering it all.

Only bad thing i have to say about the class is that we had to ai and preg some dairy cows, they are just bit different than my cows at home.

BRG said:
I went in the late 90's. Really enjoyed it and learned alot. Only problem is the fill your brain so full in such a short amount of time that you have a hardtime remembering it all.

I agree. I went a coupke years ago. Learned a lot of practical use stuff. If you go take lots of notes because there is no way you will remember everything. There has been situations that I knew they talked about but I didnt write down because i thought wasn't that big of deal. Then you can't remember the details. Also stay in the more expensive motel!!!!!!

I was there in April for a 2 day ultra-sound clinic. Frank told us that he has students work on dairy cows first. At the end of the day there are a lot of long faces. But by doing that, the beef cows are easy and everyone learns quicker. I believe they will make room reservations for you at the Garnett Inn which knocks a little off the price because of the school. It's a nice, clean, safe place to stay. The "continental" breakfast leaves a little to be desired.
If you are looking for a certain time, I would recommend late fall or early spring since the preg-checking is done in an old milk barn and the beef cows are checked in a chute outside. It was warm in April in the barn with the cows so I think summer time could be real tough.

I went in May a couple years ago. It's good but I would have liked more hands-on experience. I took a Genex course (worked for them for a summer) and had a ton more AI practice.

The Graham School covered IVs, treating different diseases, AI, preg checking, nutrition, repairing prolapses, and some other stuff... an earlier poster mentioned c-sections. They didn't teach csections or suturing when I went there since it takes a lot more than a description to be able to help you out on the real deal. Didn't want people to get the cow open (the easy part) and not be able to close her back up.

Depending on your experience level I may or may not recommend it... was right on the edge for me, but seemed like most folks really liked their time there.

milkmaid said:
Depending on your experience level I may or may not recommend it... was right on the edge for me, but seemed like most folks really liked their time there.

Do you care to further explain??

Was in undergrad on my way to vet school, could already run IVs, recognize most diseases... I really went for the AI/palpation part of the school and would have liked more time in the cows.

If you want to learn mostly ai don't go to this school. It teaches a lot of general stuff. I got a lot out of it, you just get the basics on ai and preg check. Enough to know how to do it but not as much as you probably need. I would recomend going you learn little things that help a lot.

Latest posts