• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Grampa, can we go to the mountains?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shortgrass

Reaction score
PikesPeak001.jpg

The grand kids from Kansas posed the question.

PikesPeak005.jpg

So we went to the top of America's mountain

PikesPeak004.jpg

Kathrine Lee Bates penned Americ the Beautiful after a trip to the
top of Pikes Peak. Daughter and her 4 kiddos

PikesPeak002.jpg

The Cog Train leaving the top (we drove a car)

PikesPeak007.jpg

The bottom of the Bottomless Pit

PikesPeak008.jpg

The Sangre de Cristo Mountains

PikesPeak009.jpg

These pictures are taken in the Alpine Environmental zone

PikesPeak013.jpg

The road winding its way up. Racers reach speed over 100 mph during the Hill Climb race

PikesPeak016.jpg

a snow bank

PikesPeak020.jpg

a hairpin turn

PikesPeak025.jpg

Reaching the Sub Alpine Zone at the tree line (timberline is 11,500 to 12,000 ft in Colorado)

PikesPeak026.jpg

Glencove

PikesPeak030.jpg

Snow eaters

PikesPeak031.jpg

Grandma with a couple of pals and a couple of snow eaters

PikesPeak029.jpg

Heart grabber

PikesPeak033.jpg

The top from Crystal Lake. We are now in the Montane Zone

PikesPeak035.jpg

PikesPeak036.jpg

They are in the "Twilight Zone"

PikesPeak037.jpg

Ute Pass in the Foothills Zone

Great pictures. I miss the mountains, at times. They sure are fun to visit, and gawk at, but gawk and drive at the same time. :D

I suspect they may have grandpa figured out completely. It looks like great pics of a great day to me.

all those turns, when we were kids we would of got car sick. My kids still hate going over Tin Cup from Freedom Wy to Soda Springs Id, not steep just windy.
Great Pictures of Moutains and grand kids!!!!

jodywy said:
all those turns, when we were kids we would of got car sick. My kids still hate going over Tin Cup from Freedom Wy to Soda Springs Id, not steep just windy.
Great Pictures of Moutains and grand kids!!!!

Always windy on top. The road gets real crooked above Glen Cove, but couldn't get a picture that shows much of it.

Thanks for the mountain top tour. Looks like you had a fun day of bonding with the grandkids, and it is something they will remember all their lives. Glad you took us along.

Thanks for sharing a special time for all who were along Shortgrass. The only thing that would make it better would be the absence of roads. :wink:

Are the dead trees bug-kill pine?

gcreekrch said:
Thanks for sharing a special time for all who were along Shortgrass. The only thing that would make it better would be the absence of roads. :wink:

Are the dead trees bug-kill pine?

I guess you are referring to the handful of dead trees at Glencove. I don't know what killed them, probabbly bugs. Other of our forests have thousands of acres of beetle kill, where there live trees are as few as the dead trees in that picture. Next nature will clean up the mess with a big fire. Loggers do a much neater job. Our Forest Service is listening to tree huggers rather than managing the natrual resource as they know it ought to be, but now I am getting over into political bull!

Latest posts