• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Grass Founder / Laminitis

Help Support Ranchers.net:

srd65

Reaction score
One of my mares came down with grass founder on Monday. Very sore on her front feet, standing and shifting feet, ect. I was out of town on a business trip and so wife got her off grass and in a dry corral with grass hay when she found her Monday night.

Got her to the Vet on Tuesday afternoon, the soonest we could get in. Vet says it's probably a metabolic disorder that is the cause and that laminitis is a secondary problem. They did Xrays and said the coffin bone is slightly rotated, but not as bad as they thought.

They wanted to keep her overnight and do some blood work to check on the metabolic disorder. We agreed and they are doing the blood work this morning.

I have not had any experience with founder in any of my horses so this is all new to me, but from what I have been told the best thing to do is get them off grass, treat with Bute for pain and inflamation and get an experienced farrier working on the feet.

So long story short, here is my questions for this board are:

1. Will it make any difference if she has a metabolic disorder? I am sure it is caused by the grass conditions with the wetter cooler last few weeks.

2. Am I spending a lot of extra money for blood work that I don't need to be? Also they want me to use their farrier, but I am very comfortable with the one I have been using for the past 5 years and he knows the mare.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Trust me..... The more you know, the better you can do to keep the mare as sound as possible... I would never feel that a test is worthless.. It will tell you something.. Good Luck and keep us informed on what you learn and the outcome...

This man, Gene Ovnicek, nationally known farrier, has done extensive research on laminitis--I would go so far as to say he is an authority on how to care for the feet of a horse diagnosed with laminitis. I've seen him perform what appear to be miracles...when really it is skill.

He has a lot of information online, please try this link
and feel free to call him if you wish.

http://www.hopeforsoundness.com/education/articles/handouts/understandingmorphology-laminitis.html

GOOD LUCK!!

here's my experience,,,i had a pony grass founder several years ago.i am sure it was on fescue,i had him trimmed up and he is fine.i still have him.but to let u know that he still goes thru a sweat every spring and fall.the rest of the time he seems to be fine.our vet says to treat him with bute a couple times for the pain and all is well.i guess i'm going to have to buy a camera.watch her close this fall and next spring,,good luck

Latest posts