• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Grass Founder

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rainie

Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of a horse foundering on just his hind feet. I've seen it and worked on horses that had it just on the front feet and usually all 4 feet. Suppose to have the fever rings (ridges) bit the heels haven't contracted. The young woman seems pretty knowledgeable and said that this happened when she had him out on grass early in the spring.

If it involves horses.....ANYTHING is possible!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

This has been my experience over the years!!!

Founder affects the front feet first and rarely affects the hind feet. It shows up in the front feet first, they stand with the front legs out front and the hind tucked under to take the weight off the front. I highly doubt she had a horse that had founder in the back feet only. Maybe she had shoes on the hind feet that needed removed.

I haven't seen the horse yet, and these fever rings or ridges on the back feet have got me stumped. I really don't think that its founder either. He's supposed to be a Standardbred gelding that has never been on the track. Would nutrition or conformation have anything to do with this.It baffles me how the front feet aren't affected.

Perhaps some kind of trauma to the back feet that didn't involve the front feet? Just a thought that maybe they shod him in the front and not the back and rode him on a hard surface resulting in trauma to the hind feet?
Or something happened at the coronet band in the hind feet only?

I'd agree that it is very odd that the front feet aren't included.

I know this is late posting, but been off with school and work and not really been able to read. Toxic poisoning will do the back feet and it acts like founder in that the horse will react the same. Very high fever was the case in my stallion when he had it, we were in a drought situation and according to A&M the plants that are mildly toxic become more so with the drought. He ate some evening shade down on the creek, which is the common name here, but others call it something else...I found him where he could not walk, just like founder except it had set up in back feet. Swollen and fever...I hit him with high pressure water and it did leave his feet with rings and one of the heels on the left hind was a slight contracted. It had affected his kidneys, we were lucky and he was okay, and still rideable, but his feet in the back did have the rings. Now with fever it will leave rings as well. I been told also if your horse goes through a drought it will tell the tale in the rings on their hooves, even with the best nutrition.

Maybe a little late to help you Rainie..but, just something I had lived through with my horse.

Easty

Now this makes sense to me. Would any type of corrective shoeing help this horse. Thanks FH and Easty.I'll pass along the info.

Latest posts