• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

grass tetany

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Brewitstrong

Reaction score
Happened onto this blog while researching "grass tetany." Been around cows most of my life and never really heard much about it. Just bought some registered bred Angus three-year-olds and they are on a lush fescue pasture in NE Oklahoma. Do I need to worry? Read that magnesium is a good preventive measure. Can someone tell me the most efficient source of magnesium?

Should be putting out your 'Mag-Mineral' (mixed with salt) in mini tire-feeders/troughs so calves can get in there and lick alongside the momma-cows; it worked wonders for our place in Douglas Wyo, but we had to keep it in mind when we moved sheep; could'nt leave them critters (sheep) in wherever there was mag-mineral cuz the mag will kill 'em dead.

I just read an article in BEEF magazine about the importance of salt in preventing grass tetany. Here's a link:

http://beefmagazine.com/health/salt-can-prevent-and-treat-grass-tetany

I've heard salt is important for other things too. Not sure that I'd mix it with the mineral. Our nutritionist tells us to put it out free choice next to the mineral, and no blocks either. Cattle can't get enough from a block.

LCP said:
I just read an article in BEEF magazine about the importance of salt in preventing grass tetany. Here's a link:

http://beefmagazine.com/health/salt-can-prevent-and-treat-grass-tetany

I've heard salt is important for other things too. Not sure that I'd mix it with the mineral. Our nutritionist tells us to put it out free choice next to the mineral, and no blocks either. Cattle can't get enough from a block.

:agree: :tiphat:

You said that they are bred and not pairs, correct? If that is the case I haven't heard of a bred cow getting grass tetany while she wasn't milking for a calf. I guess I don't know about grazing fescue, but up here I don't worry about tetany unless they have calved and are on real green grass.

Howdy1 said:
You said that they are bred and not pairs, correct? If that is the case I haven't heard of a bred cow getting grass tetany while she wasn't milking for a calf. I guess I don't know about grazing fescue, but up here I don't worry about tetany unless they have calved and are on real green grass.

True. Non-lactating cattle shouldn't get grass tetany.

Though I've always been under the impression that the magnesium should be available to a bred cow a couple weeks ahead of calving. When administered through feed or mineral, the magnesium needs time to build up levels in the blood.

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong on this. :oops:

The article in Beef was very interesting. I had never heard loose salt could prevent grass tetany. I usually start putting mag ox in the salt and mineral about this time of year. Maybe salt is all I ever really needed.

I haven't heard of the salt deal before either, but you really don't have
much to worry about regarding grass tetnany unless your
cattle are running on
tame pasture, like fast growing crested, etc. Native grass, in this country
anyway, doesn't grow fast enough for the cattle to get grass tetnany.

John- I was of the understanding that they had to continually eat magnesium to prevent tetany because magnesium doesn't stay in the blood stream and the body very long. The cow doesn't store up mag it uses it up as it eats it. But I can't remember either.

Maybe Faster Horses could help us both out as she seems to always have the answers for us who can't remember. :help:

Grass tetany occurs in older cattle more often than young. Caused by something like what howdy1 said. More chance for grass tetany in cloudy, damp weather when grass is growing rapidly. It is recommended to feed 30 to 45 days before going to grass. No matter if cows are on grass all winter or drylotted and kicked out, magnesium should be fed. Nutritionist said feed 10 to 20 grams of mag oxide/head/day, or a hi mag mineral. Severe cases have been linked to a lack of calcium also. So basically a good mineral problem will take care of any concerns. And free choice salt should be offered all year round. And like stated before loose it better than block.

Latest posts