• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Grassfed steer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nothing wrong with holstein - I have a dairy farmer friend with excellent grass management skills who always puts a surplus heifer in his freezer and his beef is very good. He takes them about 23-26 months, always in October. Like me he can probably still have grass with 9-10% protein, 33% ADF and 60-65% TDN in October. This area has fantastic potential for long season grazing and grass fattening cattle.

Faster horses said:
That's a far cry from here.
Have you done forage analysis to come up with those numbers,
or are you guessing?

Pretty darn good grass for this time of year.

How quickly you forget FH. :wink:
http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38848&highlight=

Holstein makes excellent beef. It is a finer textured meat than most beef breeds. The "lonely" steer that I mentioned earlier in this thread was a Holstein and he was 18 months when we got him butchered, dressing 723lbs.

He was corn fed for 8 months after being started on hay and a bit of corn up until then.

We've butchered animals anywhere from 20-30 months off of grass, and found that as long as the forage they were on was diverse and of good quality, the meat was excellent. I prefer to leave them longer than 20 months to make sure that they have marbled well. Our calves are born May 15th-July 15th, so at 20 months of age they are on poor quality forage coming out of the dead of winter.

We have some right now that are 28 months on dormant grass, jiggly fat and mighty tasty on the plate - regardless of lineage or breed. :wink:

About the easiest animal to get too fatten on grass is a dry two year old heifer that's what we usually butcher. Looks like the old llead steer is getting ground up this winter-I'd like to tan his hide hair on-he's a big pretty sucker.

Denny said:
He would'nt eat more than 1 1/2 #s of hay with 80 to 100#s of steamed barley.I'm wondering how big they are to eat that much and I bet his asshole is on fire when he shits.
You took the words out of MY mouth !! :)

Latest posts