• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

grazing corn

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jigs

Reaction score
found a ebsite promoting corn bred for grazing, wondering if anyone has tried it before.....

here is the site http://www.baldridgehybrids.com/

There is an article on grazing corn in this months "Successful Farming" magazine.

I never had thought of doing that but it might be worth a try.

Ive tried it up here and it works great even with lots of snow. If they dont eat it in the fall/winter they eat it when the snow leaves. Try this website it is also grazing corn. We are going to do more next year!!

www.canamaize.com

jigs said:
found a ebsite promoting corn bred for grazing, wondering if anyone has tried it before.....

What kind of money do you have to pay for seed? Up here a roundup ready corn ,silage or grazing costs about $55.00 /acre.

Jigs
We have used Baldridge corn in about 1996 to 99 I think . Then started using the part bags of seed that the custom planter had left from other mainly dairy silage growers. Hard to tell when only letting the cows have what they cleanup every day which is better. We plant with a 6 row and leave about 42 inches between each pass to put a hot string down. Move daily to prevent grain overload as thy eat all of the cobs first. Feed 70 cows& calves on 6 rows 30 inch space about 120 yards long per day from Sept 15 to about Nov 15 .Stockman grassfarmer has had some good artical a few years ago.
Bruce C

Our costs on grazing corn this year worked out to 50 cents a day per cow. The cows gained weight on it, and saved us 75 days worth of fuel as a bonus. We've been grazing corn for three years now, and will continue to do it. :D

We used roundup ready Kekalb corn. We don't have machinery for tillage, so need good weed control. It grew 8 or 9 feet high in places, and had huge cobs on it.

:heart: Happy Happy Cows. 8)

cowzilla said:
jigs said:

What kind of money do you have to pay for seed? Up here a roundup ready corn ,silage or grazing costs about $55.00 /acre.

it is 85 a bag, and that ought to do 3 acres so it is just short of $30 an acre....

We have tried canamaize corn for grazing. The cattle loved it but we had a problem with lower than expected yield.

Our problem with Canamaize was weed control. We saw millet that we hadn't seen in 15 years in that field! It was like it was waiting for it's big chance to take over the world :?

We've found the regular corn to be more reliable.

Canamaize has a roundup ready variety now for better weed control. Don't know the cost thou. Can't get it sowed thick enought with planter( 30 inch rows) so went back to regular corn Pioneer 39T67.

I use a 4 row IH 400 cyclo air seeder it old but works fine.I plant 23,500 plants per acre.I chop my corn but we had 10 rows left over when the chopper broke and we grazed it it worked good and I plan to graze more this year I am going to plant inbetween the rows so it will be 19" rows for grazeing.

I'm playing with Photobucket tonight. Here's some happy cows in the corn.

f95763f2.jpg

This is the same field, about 50 feet to the left, a day later. They've been busy. You can't see them, but there are 150 pairs in a 20 acre field. After another couple of days you can see the back of the field, and after a couple more, it was bare down to the dirt. This field is the biggest single piece of grazing they got. After that it was only three days worth at a time.

624b806e.jpg

Frenchie,

I seeded my corn with our Bourgault airseeder. I think they are 8.5 inch spacings. Solid seeded works great for grazing!!

Thanks guys..Seems to be easy enough to seed.

Next question :) ..What are you putting on for fertilizer(actual) , herbicide

Kato,

These are your same photos uploaded to the Photo Gallery.
They are auto resized to fit the page and auto optimized to load in half the time.
Try it next time! It's quicker and easier. Nice cattle.
f95763f2.jpg

624b806e.jpg

Someone asked yesterday why it wouldn't work to use bin run seed to plant corn for grazing. He said you wouldn't get much of a cob but what would that matter. Seed from hybrid corn won't put up a very good cob so there would be very little grain in the stand. Has anyone tried this?

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Ive tried it up here and it works great even with lots of snow. If they dont eat it in the fall/winter they eat it when the snow leaves. Try this website it is also grazing corn. We are going to do more next year!!

www.canamaize.com

M_R, how much of the plant do they eat? Would they waste a lot of stalk? What about trampling the plants?

This sounds like a great idea for fairly cheap overwintering. How much snow do you usually get?

Latest posts