• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Grazing Insurance?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

A Question?- Anybody buying grazing drought insurance? I was talking to the banker today and he was really pushing it (altho he is also selling it).. Says it is only available until March 15...
I've always been kind of prone to ride out what comes and make the decisions as the cards come down- but anymore I'm not leasing a bunch of grass that might not be there either... He says he's signed up thousands of acres in the last few weeks.......

OT,
I am thinking that it can't be a bad thing, went to a forum type meeting with our banker, he is also selling it. He called yesterday to remind me. As I look out at the dust blowing past, I just can't help but think that it will pay off. Have a good day

We have had a pilot program here the past three years and it has been good. I would advise getting it. Sure has helped us here. The problem with the pilot program is no one knew what the payments were figured on. Custer County last year protested the amount paid and they got more as a result. Yep, if history is any indication, it is a good thing to do.

One can't count on much grass for income. Take several years of above moisture here to get back grass.

Oldtimer
I haven't been in yet. Do you know what it costs and how much it pays if you have a loss?
Buckskin :???: :???: :???:

sw said:
OT,
I am thinking that it can't be a bad thing, went to a forum type meeting with our banker, he is also selling it. He called yesterday to remind me. As I look out at the dust blowing past, I just can't help but think that it will pay off. Have a good day

Buckskin- The banker was busy and wanted me to stop back in next week and go over the details if I was interested, so I got little on numbers info-- he did mention their was different payment methods for deeded, BLM or state lease, cash private lease, etc........But it did sound like you could get it on everything, even tribal lease...

Sounds like you did OK on those calves- anytime you can get that price you can't sneeze at it....

I could have got you some bred black two year old heifers last week for $675- late March calvers----But you and the vet might have had to live with them-- weighed 690lbs--off the res.....I thought my son was going to deck me when I kiddingly told him I'd bought them for him :D

Faster Horses I think it was 3 years ago that Custer Co. got upset. They were paid on a 30 % drought, when all counties around them were paid on a 80% drought. The FSA office had Custer at 80 % but the GRP listed them at 30%. In Powder River County we did ok, they have changed it so the premium is higher and the pay out lower. I don't know how they are getting the figures to determine the payout though.

Jason, then so is your health insurance, oh thats right you don't have health insurance, sounds like a subsidy to me. I am paying a $3-$4000 premium on this that will only pay off if we have a 80% drought.

rancher said:
Jason, then so is your health insurance, oh thats right you don't have health insurance, sounds like a subsidy to me. I am paying a $3-$4000 premium on this that will only pay off if we have a 80% drought.

How is an 80% drought determined? A drought is a drought. If you don't have enough water to make grass grow and feed the cows, you don't have enough. Or would that be, enough water to make enough grass to feed 80% of your cows? Just wondering..... :???:

You have lost 80% of your grass to drought, so you only grow 20% of what you should. The sad thing is they say normal is like the last 5-10 years, and the last 5-10 years have been a high % drought years. I say our weather starting changing in 1979 to drier climate. We used to have one bad year, but could count on the next year being good. Now if we have one good year out of 5 we are doing good. They say black helicopters are messing with our jet stream. If it doesn't start raining I might start believing them. Tied horses up in a mud puddle I made for them, so better get the feet trimmed and chores done.

I think you can buy in for 65% drought and different levels on up. Seems like the first one only paid much in a 80% drought.

rancher,
you can buy levels up to 90% and down to 50. The higher the level the higher the premium but the higher the payout. Each county has different premiums based on the county production levels. We decided that protection of about 75% or something in the middle would be good enough and not quite so costy.

Truly wish I could send some rain from down here. Supposed to rain ALL night.

rancher:"They say black helicopters are messing with our jet stream. If it doesn't start raining I might start believing them"

Old guys in the coffee shop the other morning saying about the same thing. They were blaming all this rain on the satellites orbiting earth. I jokingly asked one if he had any scientific evidence of this.
He said, "hell yea, just look outside, there's all the evidence you need". :oops: :oops:

when we were farming in alberta we rented a quarter from an elderly lady who lived in iowa. in the mid-eighties she told me it was the russians who were messing up the american weather patterns. couldn't bring myself to ask her just how the russians managed that.

don said:
when we were farming in alberta we rented a quarter from an elderly lady who lived in iowa. in the mid-eighties she told me it was the russians who were messing up the american weather patterns. couldn't bring myself to ask her just how the russians managed that.

I can hear her now, "it's them sputnicks flying all around up there." :lol2:

Latest posts