• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Great article from Burnt

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Our old friend Burnt can't seem to get back on Ranchers so asked if I could post this article he wrote for The Farmer's Forum paper.
I think any of us that have handled cattle have had close call such as this.

farmersforum.com

When bulls, cows become killers

Bull pounds Teeswater farmer; cow catapults Wingham farmer into the air John Schwartzentruber Farmers Forum The day after celebrating his 44th birthday, Teeswater area farmer, Martyn Van Meeteren got
farmersforum.com
farmersforum.com

Our old friend Burnt can't seem to get back on Ranchers so asked if I could post this article he wrote for The Farmer's Forum paper.
I think any of us that have handled cattle have had close call such as this.

farmersforum.com

When bulls, cows become killers

Bull pounds Teeswater farmer; cow catapults Wingham farmer into the air John Schwartzentruber Farmers Forum The day after celebrating his 44th birthday, Teeswater area farmer, Martyn Van Meeteren got
farmersforum.com
farmersforum.com
That was a great article and well-written by burnt. So glad Martyn and John survived.
It easily could have turned out differently.
Thanks for sharing, BMR. This should be a great reminder to everyone
that you cannot trust livestock and to be very careful.
Not to pick on the breed but a Charolais bull at the vet clinic attacked the
main worker there and put him in the hospital.

Our daughter was injured by a Black Angus bull. We had a flood when we lived
in SW Montana. We found a bull with hoofrot.
We were trailing this bull in on horseback, and he got into the brush
on the creek. When we tried to get him, he pinned Mr. FH horse to
a tree. Our daughter wasn't aware that happened. The brush is pretty thick there.
She got off her horse to go into the brush to get him out and he
attacked her. We couldn't see her, but we could hear her screaming. Mr. FH jumped
off his horse and went in to get her. There was a lot of downfall and he couldn't get
to her as fast as he would have liked. When he finally got to her, the bull had backed off
(she says due to her screaming her lungs out)
and Mr. FH was able to carry her to safety. The bull had mashed her into the ground and we think all that saved her was that the ground was very wet. She didn't suffer any broken
bones, but she was bruised from her head to her toes. The next day, Mr. FH and some
friends got him out of the brush. They roped him and a couple tied on to him with ropes.
They ran their ropes through the slats on the trailer and pulled him into the trailer. He got a quick trip to the sale barn. This bull had never acted like that before, but his foot was hurting and we had trailed him quite aways, so that may have been why he acted as he did. But you can't give them another chance when they do something like he did.

Even the most seemingly gentle livestock can turn mean. As a livestock judge, I was knocked down by an Angus steer that developed an attitude. I was lucky it was a side head butt. The kid showing it received a broken foot before a couple of husky dads got it controlled and out of the ring.

As a very young kid I was standing behind a hefty fence post at a dairy bordering one of my grandpas ranches, when a Holstein bull suddenly charged the post and loosened it enough to knock me down. I was lucky a couple of cowboys were close and they got me out of there. The owner of the bull came and shot the bull on the spot.

Several minor incidents over the years, but nothing uncommon or story worthy.

Years ago, I was range doctoring a two year old angus bull for foot rot. The rope I had tied him to a tree with was equipped with a quick release honda. I had my arm around his head, had inserted a length of plastic pipe down his throat and was in the process of stuffing some large sulfa pills down the hatch with a chunk of broom handle when I heard the "click" of the honda releasing! I did escape with just bruised ribs and a bloody nose, but the ranch was purged of lariats with quick releases after that!

For sure! Those weren't always available when we were ranching.
Good thing or there were times I would have tranquilized the entire herd. Give a young impatient girl an extended clip AK 47 loaded with tranquilizer darts and a great calm might have come over the herd during one of those patience trying face offs at the not so OK corral. :ROFLMAO: High noon and only a mounted girl and her horse are standing. :LOL:

Last edited:

Latest posts