• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Great Grass Growing rains

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Been having some good showers. Half a inch, then 4/10ths then some more. The prairie is fairly soft and these rains should be early enough to grow some hay. :D

Here's hoping everybody that need some rain is getting some. :) :)

Yep- we've had a couple inchs in the last couple of weeks- mostly with showers of .2 - .4 at a time...Picked up .6 today....Several places north of us got an inch or even two...

Better tie everything down for tomorrow tho- the prediction is for a few more showers-- but with 30-40 mph winds with gusts up to 60 or 70mph in the higher elevations....

We got our first significant rain since the snow left in March. After two 5 minute showers in April, we got 7/10ths on Thursday, making everything turn green!

Now the forecast is for spotty weather for the next couple of weeks with more rainy days than sunshine, making it a challenge to get crops in! Farmers are a hard bunch to please, aren't they!! :?

We got a lick and a promise, but it was more like the lick that a cow does to dry off her newborn calf. :? Oh well, better luck next time. :)

There would be no need for me to ever buy a powerball mega-millions ticket, because the odds are just too great against winning. On Friday evening, in a local town there was a hundred dollar per ticket benefit for a new grocery store coming to town. One hundred sixty tickets were sold, and half of the proceeds went back into monetary prize give-backs. The final prize, if you were the last to have your ticket drawn out of the bucket, was $4100. Both the Kosmo Kid and I ended up being in the last ten finalists to have our ticket drawn. Out of the ten, mine was the second ticket to be drawn, and Kosmo's was the fifth ticket. We were then out of the game. :( At the bitter end, the final two tickets elected to share the $4100, so they each got $2100. At least one, and maybe both of the final winners gave back their big winnings to the store benefit, which is very commendable of them to do. Anyway, with a "one-in-ten" chance of winning, and having no luck, there is sure no need of me wasting a dollar on a chance with millions of other people buying and vying for the same chance. Lesson learned. :)

Big Muddy rancher said:
per said:
Plenty wet here, even had to mow the lawn.

I thought a Holistic manager/lazy guy like you would have had a hot wire around the lawn for the cows to graze it. :wink:

Golf course should be looking good. :D
Mrs. Per won't let me graze the front lawn. :cry: The golf coarse is in great shape as is my personal fairway which does have bovines mowing it for me. Tee off time booked for Wednesday.

per said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
per said:
Plenty wet here, even had to mow the lawn.

I thought a Holistic manager/lazy guy like you would have had a hot wire around the lawn for the cows to graze it. :wink:

Mrs. Per won't let me graze the front lawn. :cry: The golf coarse is in great shape as is my personal fairway which does have bovines mowing it for me. Tee off time booked for Wednesday.

"Mrs. Per won't let me graze the front lawn. :cry: "

Wives are funny that way. :)

No rain here... it has been the warmest and driest March and April on record, and May hasn't been an improvement :? . I'm managing in drought mode, and will be adjusting numbers for the forest. I should be in good shape this year grass-wise, and luckily it has been raining in a lot of the hay country to the east. I guess something is always for sale if this doesn't change though, and I've always got my list handy. That is one positive, the herd improves during these conditions. What a contrast from February :roll:.

It's so easy ranching when you've got moisture :wink: :D .

two guys split $4100 and each got $2100.......

I want Soap weed dividing up my estate when the time comes....everyone ought to be pretty happy with thier share! :wink:

Big Muddy rancher said:
per said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

"Mrs. Per won't let me graze the front lawn. :cry: "

Wives are funny that way. :)

Apparently there is a secret wife code of conduct. We (I) are not allowed saddle horses picketed on the lawn either.
We were under full fire ban a week ago and then got 1' of wet snow and rain this weekend. We have had 6/10 since I finally got my weather station up yesterday afternoon. Should grow some grass.
Sure feel for those needing the moisture though. Missing it this time of year sets everything back.

Just nasty out there today...Rain showers are circulating around thru Canada and giving us another little shot of moisture-- but as the sun came up, so did the West wind...Howling out there- blowing 30 with recorded gusts as high as 60....

jigs said:

I want Soap weed dividing up my estate when the time comes....everyone ought to be pretty happy with thier share! :wink:

My typing is better than my math. :wink: The corrected version should be $4200, with half being $2100.

And to think I've been chuckling all morning about the major typo on the cover of the May 5, 2012 edition of the new Fence Post magazine. The headline reads, "Leading The Heard Through Example." On the inside, it is worded correctly, "Leading The Herd Through Example," but later in the article on three occasions, it talks about "getting our voice herd." Someone was sleeping on the job, just as I was with my lousy arithmetic. "Judge not lest ye be judged yourself" hits me pretty hard this morning. :)

paid my rent and got a fair amount of rain on the same day, looks like I,ll have a summer job :wink: :lol:

a few years ago my wife bought the first piece of NEW equipment we had ever owned. a JOHN DEERE lawn mower. was worth way more than my first haying outfit. all because it was TOO redneck to let the cows get that 50$worth of grass. wimmen go figure :wink: :lol: :lol:

Soapweed said:
jigs said:

My typing is better than my math. :wink: The corrected version should be $4200, with half being $2100.

And to think I've been chuckling all morning about the major typo on the cover of the May 5, 2012 edition of the new Fence Post magazine. The headline reads, "Leading The Heard Through Example." On the inside, it is worded correctly, "Leading The Herd Through Example," but later in the article on three occasions, it talks about "getting our voice herd." Someone was sleeping on the job, just as I was with my lousy arithmetic. "Judge not lest ye be judged yourself" hits me pretty hard this morning. :)
each time one of my kids hounds me about my typo's I just shrug and tell them i have fat fingers and a small keyboard....

Latest posts