• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Greetings from a cold snowy New Mexico

Help Support Ranchers.net:

nenmrancher

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just thought I would see how far this storm is covering. The northeastern plains in New Mexico are covered this evening with anywhere from 5" to a foot or better, and that is just on our place. What fun it is to calve in a March snow storm, wouldn't be bad if it would dump and leave but it is still coming down. This stuff is thick and heavy with moisture, everything is all ready sloppy muddy.

I know I should not yell to loud as it has been a long time since we have had a real March snow storm, and the much needed moisture, but it coulda done this before we started calving.

Hope everyone has a safe and pleasent evening.
:lol:

send it on, please, we got about 4 inches of snow at the most, thank you thank you thank you thank you..... Do any of you remember "The Shining". We need the moisture so bad, if you kick the ground under the snow it is powder. I think that BMR and Lilly should share, got my pictures from Lilly today, THEY HAD A FLOOD. What is that like I have forgotten??? :???: :???: :???: :???: :???:

sw said:
send it on, please, we got about 4 inches of snow at the most, thank you thank you thank you thank you..... Do any of you remember "The Shining". We need the moisture so bad, if you kick the ground under the snow it is powder. I think that BMR and Lilly should share, got my pictures from Lilly today, THEY HAD A FLOOD. What is that like I have forgotten??? :???: :???: :???: :???: :???:

I don't have much to share. The Big Muddy has been dry for 20 years. :cowboy:

nenmrancher,

How do you deal with spring storms in your area? I don't imagine that you have access to sheds for shelter. You probably just ride them out I suppose and hope for the best, as seldom as you have that kind of weather in your country.

Do you winter on just supplement like cake or lick? Maybe you have some of that good Canadian river country for shelter.

Good luck.

Big Muddy rancher said:
sw said:

Big Muddy- You can't have been that dry last year-unless they closed the border to snow and rain too--- I think sometimes we forget where we live-- An old fella I respect very much, Bill Cornwell, told me that we living on the prairies forget that we live on borderline desert--always one rain or one inch between a good year or a disaster...Either the best place and grass in the world or the worst- few inbetweens...Last year was one of the really good years around here...

Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
sw said:

Big Muddy- You can't have been that dry last year-unless they closed the border to snow and rain too--- I think sometimes we forget where we live-- An old fella I respect very much, Bill Cornwell, told me that we living on the prairies forget that we live on borderline desert--always one rain or one inch between a good year or a disaster...Either the best place and grass in the world or the worst- few inbetweens...Last year was one of the really good years around here...

We had alot of snow last winter but were so dry we had no run off. It was dry in the sping for a while then rained pretty good and had a decent hay crop but it shut off the first of July and it was to dry in Sept to germinate Fall Rye. It was to dry to germinate fall rye the year before as well. You guys over at Glasgow got way more rain then we did and over at Westby they got more. We weren't stopped once for rain during haying. Our Lewis and Clark equivilent Palliser called this area a desert and he was right.

For the most part we ride them out. Right now I have six calves in the barn here at the headquarters and 4 more in another barn at the other set of corrals. We only had one in the house today, which is a good thing. Most of our calving pastures have creeks or some kind of cover for the cows and calves to hide out in.

During the winter this year we supplemented with 40% protein cake and a 20% protein block, and when the ground is covered we feed either Cane or Alfalfa hay. We also use a custom mineral that is made just for the area we are in. We are just east of the Canadian river by about 10 miles.

What's it like....??? Well...sometimes it's a lil wet, sorta wet..gettin wet...soakin wet....cow p'n on a flat rock wet.....git everthang ya own stuck wet.....n can my cows swim wet????....n..their feet are webbed wet..oh yeah, and git the john boat out to check cows wet...hehehe...wet nuff for ya???

Lilly,
looked at the CD WHICH WAS GREAT BTW, WHAT WAS THAT SHINING STUFF IN THE CREEK? Have not seen that for awhile :? thanks we should share with more

Glad ya enjoyed it.....that shiny stuff...was that wet stuff Iwas referrin to in a earlier post....hehe
i think it would be really neat to share with others...just gotta git them cameras busy clickin n put cd or video together...share share share lol
and you are right sw....worlds apart.... the same..yet different. I'll admit after seeing what you all up there in north country hafta endure thru winters and such...ya werk harder at ranching than we would ever dream of having to do down here in warm country. I admire ya'll for what you do.
We got it easy ya might say ..or I think we do...

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Glad ya enjoyed it.....that shiny stuff...was that wet stuff Iwas referrin to in a earlier post....hehe
i think it would be really neat to share with others...just gotta git them cameras busy clickin n put cd or video together...share share share lol
and you are right sw....worlds apart.... the same..yet different. I'll admit after seeing what you all up there in north country hafta endure thru winters and such...ya werk harder at ranching than we would ever dream of having to do down here in warm country. I admire ya'll for what you do.
We got it easy ya might say ..or I think we do...

It must be easy down in Texas if Haymaker can make it. At least he tells us he's makein' it. But then I remember something about the warden lettin' him us the computer so maybe he's makin' liecence plates. :cowboy:

So how much moisture did you lucky southern folks get out of your snow? NM, TX, etc.

I bet it has already warmed up, and snowbanks will be a memory before too long.

We had between 10" and 12" here, just depended on where you went. More closer to the Canadian river and south of us. Most of it started melting as soon as it hit the ground. Right now I have 3" to 4" on the ground and mud underneath that does not stop. This afternoon I barely made it down the road to the pasture to check. This snow had lots of mosture in it, maybe we will have some green grass this spring instead of waiting till the summer rains start. :)

I remember first Friday of April, 1996. We had moved back calving of our main herd to peak around the first week of April. It started snowing late that afternoon...

I did my normal night calving, from 12:00 to 4:00 am, the snow flakes were HUGE, the wind blowing SO HARD and of course, blowing horizontally, snow accumulation 2 ft deep. Cows were bunched up near the corrals to get out of the wind...brand new baby calves wandering around outside the bunch...had NO CLUE who they belonged to...this kept on for 2 weeks, grabbed what live calves we found and put them in the warm box and spent the rest of the time feeding and trying to figure out who was the mother...we didn't find ALL the calves until all the snow melted...what a wreck. We have been fall calving ever since. We must have jinxed things because it quit raining/snowing since then. :cry: I just hope we get some moisture and quickly. The sad part of this story is, that we were probably the only ones who had to put up with the snow. 10 miles down the road our neighbors had NOTHING!!! Neighbors saw my spouse in the ranch pickup with all the snow on it and wondered where the he@@ we came from!!!! The weather out here is soooo spotty... sure could have used some help at our place at that time...

Latest posts