• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Grizzly attack in Yellowstone

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Twotimer

Reaction score
2 Hikers Attacked by Yellowstone Grizzly

40 minutes ago

A grizzly bear attacked two hikers in Yellowstone National Park, but the men escaped serious injury, the National Park Service said Thursday.

Pat McDonald, 52, of Bismarck, N.D., and Gerald Holzer, 51, of Northfield, Minn., were hiking on a trail near Shoshone Lake in the park's southern section Wednesday when they noticed fresh bear scat, officials said in a written statement.

They decided to continue, but were charged by a grizzly bear "at full stride" about a quarter-mile further along the trail, the release said.

Holzer, who was in front, sidestepped the bear. McDonald stepped behind some trees and dropped to the ground, officials said. The bear ran past him, but returned and swatted at him, then turned to Holzer, who had dropped to the ground and was lying on his stomach.

The bear jumped on Holzer's back, swatted at him, then retreated briefly. During that time, McDonald retrieved the bear spray strapped to his waist and doused the bear in the face when it returned and starting biting his leg. The bear then ran off, officials said.

The two men hiked 4 miles to the trailhead and drove to the clinic at Old Faithful for treatment.

McDonald suffered a puncture wound to his leg. Holzer was not injured, and officials said his backpack protected him during the attack.

can anyone spell "I-D-I-O-T-S"...fresh bear scat and ya keep going... hmmm :roll: . It's like the tourists getting their pics taken with the "tame" buffalo bull in Yellowstone...they are so surprised when they get attacked??? Ummmm...HELLOOOOOOOO...

Was that a bit sarcastic for a post???

EXACTLY!!!
Like a young gal taking her senior picture w/ a tiger and malled to death! It is not the animals fault-like I have said too bad human aren't as smart as animals!

As a pack trip guide in Yellowstone I came across a few bears. The horses help, but just using your head can help avoid a lot of problem. Being armed with pepper made me feel a little more safe, but after a lot of horror stories I came to the conclusion that it is just seasoning :? . They sure do humble a guy real quick.

You just need a good mule

"These pics came from a coworkers dad in AZ. Yes the Mule, killed the mountain lion. The lion had been stalking them for the better part of the morning, on the way out to a hunt. They were pretty sure it was after a dog. The cat apparently ambushed them, and the mule pictured tossed its rider and went into attack(defense) mode, the horses scattered and shots were fired but no one was sure if they hit the cat or not. Unfortunately, the battle was decently long, and it wasn't until it was almost over that one of the guys started snapping pics."

mule1.jpg

mule2.jpg

mule3.jpg

mule4.jpg

Have had Appaloosa horses for years and have one old gelding now who will attack, stomp and kill any type of critter that ventures into his 'retirement' lot he's living in now. Be it 'possum. skunk, coyote, neighbors cute little house dog.....he's on it! He even chased out the neighborhood peeping tom!

Gonna cry when that horse dies....he's at least 30 yrs old!!!

Mudhen said:
You just need a good mule
"These pics came from a coworkers dad in AZ. Yes the Mule, killed the mountain lion.
Sorry Mudhen-Those pictures have been around a while. Passed around with a bunch of different stories about the circumstances. They're fakes. The cat was already dead before the mule got hold of it.

Latest posts