• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ground tieing a horse?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bootheel

Reaction score
Got a gelding ,highly motivated by his stomach, that will stay put anywhere there is something to munch on.

These#$%#$# mares are truly a horse of a different color. :mad:

What do ya'll do to get 'em to stay put?

Life is Good,
Bootheel

I was just joking about being a proctologist, starting to feel like one staring at all these @#$@oles..... :evil: :twisted: :p :D :shock:

Thanks od/nt,

Do you like cotton or dog collar hobbles, or somthun' else? When you get time lets hear them old tricks from an old dog.

I start Hobbling In a big field where they can't hurt bad?
I start with a pair I made years ago out of a strip of burlap Sack... then I use Figure 8 Hobbles most of the time - - All our horses Hobble.

A few years back one mare did not come in when I went to feed - When I came back she was still standing there - I don't know where she got the wire she had around her feet :!:
I leave a halter and Lead rope on so I can keep their head up the first time they fall down

Another idea to try - Leave a halter on your horse with a lead rope tied to it and snapped to a lead 5# weight...

When you get off drop the weight on the ground...

Go from the hobbles to the weigh slowly - let your horse figure out that means "Stay" - might take a day or two to take the hobbles off

We used to use Hobbles to teach a horse to run on the strait-away at the 1/4 Horse TRACK

Many/Most horses can run faster with Hobbles on - to stop this let them drag a lead rope off the hobbles

I have a weight made to do this with BUT you could use old Bar Bell weights
Just takes time

Latest posts