• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ground tieing

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Thats great looking country, Muratic. Thanks for posting.
As far as the ground tying goes, if you got a round pen and a halter its not too tough. just gotta hold him up close to his jaw (say, for example in your left hand), and make him move off using your right hand slowly driving his shoulder away from you. Start by slowly raising your right hand and then start swinging a bit of the halter rope, and if he still doesnt move keep advancing the right hand until you strike him. When he moves off, release the pressure (lower your right hand), make him circle away from you, controlling him with your left hand. The idea is to have his hips moving sideways, and the theory is that that is hard work. If his hips aren't moving sideways you'll have to push him backwards with the halter while you are moving him away from you. When you get kinda handy with this manouver, you will notice the horse will start to keep a foot or so from your right hand and if you slow your hand down, he'll slow down, and if you speed it up he'll speed up. You will also notice that he will soon be looking for a break. When you stop your right hand and he stops, try making a show of dropping the rope, kinda slouching your shoulders, and back off, turn, and walk away. Maybe circle him once or twice. Hope like heck he makes his move sooner rather than later. When he does, march after him, pick up the rope, and repeat. The initial exercise takes about 5-10 minutes, depending on the horse and you. It won't take much of this excersise to make him happier than heck to stand comfortably in place. It just makes him doing the right thing easy and the wrong thing hard.
Good luck.

Faster horses said:
Nice outfit!!

I'm going to try to guess where you live. The 'holler' that you mentioned is a little of a give-away. My first guess would be Tennessee.

How'd I do?

BTW, does your back cinch have a hobble strap to the front cinch? It looks like it might be a little 'fur back' and I'd hate for you to have a bucking strap someday, because you didn't have a hobble strap in place. Just a thought.

Too far south and west on your guess Faster horses. But that is all you get!!!

Yep, you are right, that back cinch is too far back. Neither horse was compleyely "geared" up. Breast collars, tie downs and lariets are missing. And that strap wasn't hooked on the cinch. Thanks for the concern :wink:

That trailer won't go under the roof in the pull thru dock at the sale barn. 7ft ceiling. The track they have set up for the gate system is about 2 inches too low if there is any chaf on the ground, which there always is.
SO, I just back up to the front docks like a "big rig". Drives them sale barn goof nuts. They hate to see me back in and unload off them docks...that means they have to get off their duff's and do something.
They can't understand why I have such a high ceiling on the trailer.

Thanks Silver. No round pen here but there is a small weaning pen. Bout an acre fenced in. Is that too big?

Thanks for all the comments and compliments gang!! Much abliged.

Latest posts