• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

grrr....owl

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
The weather hasn't been too bad so far during our calving, but the coyotes are on the prowl......grrr.....owl.

Coyotes have killed three good lively up-and-sucking calves in the last few days. :mad: This has never been a problem in past years in our spring calving herd. We did lose two fall calves to coyotes about three decades ago. One spring, a coyote ate the flank out of a calf before we chased it off, but the calf lived and was saleable by fall. Anyway, coyotes seem bad enough. I feel great empathy for those of you who have to contend with wolves, grizzly bears, and mountain lions.

It's a nice day nonetheless. The temperature already reads 40 degrees, with a nine mph breeze, and the forecast says the daytime high could reach 60. There is some wind, colder weather, and a chance for snow coming in Monday and Tuesday, but after all this is Nebraska. :)

I'm sorry, but can totally relate. Last year those !??!?! things killed three baby calves. One was even killed within 100 yards of my house :mad: . We called in the coyote assassin, and he was able to come out at daybreak and before dark to kill them when they would be stalking the calves. Like you, we hadn't had troubles in the past with them, and felt we had kept them killed off... Wrong! I hope you get the killing under control soon, it is an awful feeling to find them dead like that.

Coyotes are the #1 reason we run horned cattle in south Tx, it don't take Mr coyote long to finger out mama cow caint do much damage polled.
good luck

Wyoming has a $1/hd predator fee shhep and cattle. lot of the cattle guys in non wolf and bear area were always wanting a refund. Well when the sheep guys in thier area went under because of cyotes, they were upset that the coyotes turned to thier calves. Pluse they had to pay back the fees they had refunded before the trapper would come by.

If Corey was still around he would advise you to put a little more EXT breeding into those old momma cows... :wink:

Don't have any calves here yet- altho heifers could start in any day-- and with the predicted snowstorm rolling in tonight/tomorrow supposed to bring a 1/4 inch of rain and 2-6 inchs of wet snow-- I have a good idea when they will start...

Sorry to hear about your calves...dont forget to sprinkle some fly bait on the half eaten ones...cuz ya sure dont wont any flies around :wink:

You must have all of our dogs, there Soap. I tried calling the other day, and got a few barks, but we just haven't seen or heard them for a couple weeks now. Set Sparky out there with his rifle. Pretty sure he could get a couple for you.

Darn Soapweed, thats really tough. Get them on the ground then
have coyotes get them. GRRRR is right! :mad:

In SW Montana the coyotes got so bad one year that they were attacking
the calves while the cows were still having them. That rancher did get
the helicoptors in to kill some of the coyotes and that did help. They
are awful once they get started. We've never lost a calf to a coyote
as far as we know. They are always skulking around for the afterbirth
and they sure make you nervous.

We started a coyote calling contest in our county and it's turned into
a pretty big deal.

That is so heartbreaking. You work your butt off and then this happens. Want Dean and Miles to come and call them? I'll bet a night or two and they would have them all cleaned up.. :wink:

katrina said:
That is so heartbreaking. You work your butt off and then this happens. Want Dean and Miles to come and call them? I'll bet a night or two and they would have them all cleaned up.. :wink:

They would be more than welcome to try their luck.

We've had problems before. One year I ran 3 off a cow that had calved, but not licked her calf yet. The yotes were teasing the cow on first one side of the calf then the other, and would have caused her to trample her calf had I not showed up. They will then come back and get the dead calf after the cow finally leaves. They get smart, then they need to die. Ive killed a couple here the last two weeks or so.

My cousin down the road has killed close to 100 this winter. Close to a third still had mange. The ones he can't call in we run down with a Polaris Razor. You could maybe get him to come down. He's still getting footage for his next DVD.

Big Swede said:
My cousin down the road has killed close to 100 this winter. Close to a third still had mange. The ones he can't call in we run down with a Polaris Razor. You could maybe get him to come down. He's still getting footage for his next DVD.

Is that Les J. from Predator Quest?

you can get alot of yotes after a good snow, a ground crew of callers to work heavy timber and others on sled to run up brush draws right befor the plane and gunner fly over

The fur market has really come back. I sold 25 coyotes at the Feb. auction in Canada and the averaged $74. The highest coyote brought $132! With prices like those, it might spark a new interest in trapping. I think the market will stay the same or even get better as the Chinese are staring to buy a lot of wild fur. Maybe even some ranchers will dust off the old traps hanging in the shed. Good luck with the predator control.

Latest posts