• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Grrrrrrrrr Hunters

Help Support Ranchers.net:

katrina

Reaction score
We have a tree row just north of out house and every year our neighbors have hunters. The hunters ask to hunt this tree row. We always tell them NO. This year I caught them and the neighbor kid hunting in them. I told them to get out, we had newly weaned calves and it was less than 660 ft. Which the neighbor kid proceed to tell me it was 660 ft. IT's NOT.......
My question is: THose hunters know it's too close to our buildings. Why evan consider hunting there. Secondly, why would you not want to be a good neighbor and NOT hunt next to your neighbor's home????
Is there no common sense??? I HATE HUNTERS, I HATE HUNTERS, I HATE HUNTERS, I HATE HUNTERS, I HATE HUNTERS, I HATE HUNTERS!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I have no personal " like" for deer but I don't allow hunting on my place for probably the same reasons as you.....getting too close to the cattle, the Appaloosa horses, MY HOUSE etc.

So far I've had a whole shot thru my 3rd story of my house, horse barn shot...I've had to personally put down several deer that were messed up/shot up cause some damn fool couldn't shoot...I hated to see the poor things suffer and die like that.

People go NUTZ with hunting..... I don't hunt....don't really have any feelings about it either way...but be responsible and respectful of others property and requests. If told to stay out...STAY OUT!! It's a problem EVERYWHERE...I'm in the deep South and anything and everything is hunted here....practically all year long...legal or not!! It's a constant battle for me as I back up against the Nat'l Forest...and lots of people sneak in that way are gone before I find them....but i surely find their mess!!

kolanuraven,
I feel your pain, I also "back up" to the national forest. Haven't had any trouble so far this weekend with deer season openin up Saturday. But never a year goes by that we dont have somethin happen. Usually go check on mondays after a weekend of huntin to see if we have any deer stands up on our property, and if so, we take them down.

Then they wonder why I'm such a b**** to get along with...There are no pheasants hear. If there is, they are all old enough for social security. Why pay to hunt here, when there are no pheasants???? Looks like a rip off to me. The neighbors bring in these out of staters to hunt. And expect to hunt on their neighbors cuz their land is nubbed to the grubbings and plus they don't have very much land anyway. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Pi**** me off.

I have always been sympathetic to hunters. I hunted for years. In the last 10 years or so , as more city folks have become interested in hunting, the hunters ethics have went to pot. Just past the edge of my yard my daughters over the years have built a tree house (three story). Someone climbed on top of it and caved the top roof in and at the base of the ladder was a crossbow arrow with a broad head on it. If I catch him/her there they will need something that is faster out of the holster than a crossbow! Not more than 75 yards from the house! Last year I took a tree stand down and sold it that wasn't over a hundred yards from the house. It's gettin' to be a real sore spot. My trigger finger is itchy.

Lily,
When I first bought one of my farms...not big just wee bit over 100 acres, every tree on the place held a deer stand. I could hardly feel safe on my own place as I never knew who was in what tree and where. So....I took my time....and removed every tree stand , be it homemade or official, and placed it at the bottom of each tree. Placed a BIG ad in the local paper stating that the place was now MINE...and if you had a stand on the prop. you had 2 wks to claim it as it was @ the bottom of " your" tree.

Well before the 2 wks was up...practically every stand was gone and I never saw one person...so they all came in on the forest side. I still have them put the stands up right on the prop lines and aim into my place...

I worry about my Appy horses...those white spots/rump blankets on them can surely look like a deer tail to someone with buck fever.....

If a hunter repeatedly trespasses on your property despite your objections, what channels do you have to deal with him besides shooting? It seems like a cop would just slap them on the risk, if they showed up at all. An armed stranger intruding your property seems like a justified case of self-defense, but I tend to think this would make it to a jury (whom you can't depend on to be sympathetic). It sounds weird, but this kinda makes me wish we had a lawyer hanging out.

We had a judge one year who sware that the road he was on was a public road, and that someone lived at the end of that road. That someone had moved into town over 5 years before that, so it was a private road by then and he was trespassing. So I turned him , got he license number and when he went to court and argued with the judge, guess what? HE LOST his hunting license for 3 years, and OUR judge told him, you want to make it 5 :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is more than one way to skin a cat!!!

mp....call the law?? Don't make me laff!! Our " law" out here is joke....there's not a one of them under 400 lbs!! They( the sheriff as I'm rural) won't get off the paved roads let alone go into the woods to find someone.....they couldn't walk it!!!

I would not even hook up my security system of my house to the local sheriff....said I didn't want them out here eating food out of my fridge 2 hrs after I had made the call..... I'll deal with it myself. Only bought the system for an insurance break anyway!!

After doing some calling it can be done. All you need is proof of who it is . You don't have to say a word to them. If you want you can tell them to say cheese.. And the law and the BIA will take action...

Our local warden says that the best thing to do is take a picture, don't say a thing so that it does not get confrontational, you are dealing with idiots holding a gun. I caught some guys one time where they were not suppossed to be, one of them was sitting in the pickup drinking coffee while the rest were out walking. I got out the camcorder and was walking around the truck filming so I could get the plate number the whole nine yards. He rolled down the window and asked what I was doing and I told him that I was making a movie to use in court. He said well were not doing anything wrong, are we? I said to him that they were trespassing, got in my truck and drove off, stopped about a quarter mile down the road. I could hear him hollering for his buddies to come back to the truck. it was fun for awhile. :lol:

While in Wyoming, I was driving home from town after dark when I saw a light in a place where there should not have been one. I drove in to investigate and found a hunting camp, tent and all, set up on our irrigated hay meadow. I drove up and asked what they were doing. Well of course, it was obvious, they were HUNTING. And they proceeded to tell me that was BLM ground they were on. "Sorry", I told em, "this is not BLM ground, this is private ground." They got their precious maps out and proceeded to prove to me they were on BLM. Well, the maps were wrong, but I could not convince them otherwise. They told me they weren't going anywhere, because that land belonged to THEM. They had trespassed into our land further when they walked down and shot some deer right in the middle of our cows. That too, was BLM ground they told me.

Not only was this piece deeded, it belonged to a neighbor that we swapped use for some of ours (not ours, really, because we leased this place). So I went to the house, and since my husband was not home at the time, I called the Game Warden, who was a good friend of ours. He was coming by, so he stopped in to visit with the camped-out hunters. He couldn't convince them to leave either, and he is a pretty convincing fellow. When my husband got home, he went down to try to talk to them and they still wouldn't listen. By now, they are really getting on the defensive and there are quite a few of them. It is turning into a bit of a scary situation. So now we have a BIG problem. We had to call the neighbor and he had to go to town and sign a complaint since it was his land. The Game Warden had to go back out and serve the papers. The hunters (who were NOT out-of-state hunters, but residents from Casper, Wyoming) had to appear in court late that evening. It was way past midnight when everyone got to bed. They had no money, had to put their guns up to get out of jail. They were STILL adamant that they were right and they went back to Casper to get more maps to PROVE they were right. Well, as it turned out the maps were wrong and they wound up apologizing about a week later. But what an ordeal to go through.

I had a guy tell me once, when we denied him the right to hunt, that he could hunt on our state ground without our permission. I said, "How are ya gonna get there? It is all surrounded by deeded ground." He said he planned to get a helicopter to drop him in. There is no rhyme or reason to these guys.

On another note, I must tell you about some friends we made when Jack (my husband) was guiding hunters in 1964. Jack was 19 at the time, and so were the hunters. They remain friends to this day, and it is 42 years later. Great people and good folks. So not all are bad, but too many are.

I never realized what horror storys there are in the big wide west, We have some problems here mostly with poachers at night. It just seems that when i go to drummond coyote hunting i always get permission and everybody is just as nice as could be. But i do hear horror storys there to. Just never dreamed it was so wide spread. I read these stories as an avid hunter and wonder where do these disrespectful people come from? They were sure raised a lot differant than I.

I sympathize with those of you who have had bad experiences with hunters. To be sure, I would be very unhappy as well. We've had some bad experiences as well. One thing that helped was putting a big chunk of our land into Walk-In Areas. That way we don't have to deal with it as much because the game warden helps keep an eye on things. And usually the guys who tear things up are the ones who dont want to leave the pickup, so we actually get more "ethical" hunters on our land. The state throws us a little cash as well.

We have also started a fee hunting/bed and breakfast this year, and our family has enjoyed it. We had one bunch that we don't care to invite back, but the rest have been good to have. They have just really enjoyed getting away from the city life and enjoying the outdoors. Mom and Dad have had a good time visiting with them and they enjoyed the hunts.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't paint with such a big brush. Yes, there are idiots out there. But there are also a lot of hunters who share the same values as we do when it comes to the outdoors.

They just ruin October here, and as for those maps :mad: they are usually wrong. I caught one bunch of hunter road hunting with their lights out trying to shoot a buck from the road on the last night of season, it was pitch black and they were parked just inside my property behind a curve in the road. I used to contract with their outfitter, but although he was a former cop, found the whole crew to be liars, thieves and cheats.
Also found one 5 x 5 muley buck dead with a Kmart arrow in him right beside the road, called the game warden. Wow do they ever ruin an otherwise good month.

Hi Kate, how are things going for you? Love to have another get together to visit with you again! Take care and stay warm this winter.

I was surprised that Faster Horses said the Game Warden couldnt convince the Hunters to leave, in Texas, Game Wardens are some of our most powerful cops, and those hunters would have been lookin down the barrel of a shotgun.

This Game Warden was plenty salty, but when he saw he couldn't get them to do much of anything, he just went throgh the system to get done what he needed. Bear in mind, this all happened in the dark and we weren't sure how many of them there were in total.

As an example of the grit this Game Warden had, there was a car chase from over east of the mountain and came off on the Buffalo, Wyoming side. When you come off the mountain on highway 16 west, you drive down Fort Street and right in to a T into Main Street. Both Fort Street and Main Street are the busiest streets in Buffalo. Well, the authorities chasing the car called ahead to alert the law in Buffalo as to what was going on. The speeding car came right down Fort Street, when this Game Warden was going up Fort Street. He quickly analyzed the situation and...drove his pickup right in front of the speeding car. Stopped them, that was for sure. The car rolled up on the library lawn. Didn't kill anyone, but sure banged them up. But they had to be stopped...and he rose to the occasion.

He was a John Wayne kind of guy.

Latest posts