• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Guebert on Pickett

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Unless all the marketing options are offering the exact same price at the same time, there is no market manipulation.

If ibp lowers their price due to having most of their needs met, more than likely there is a packer out there that still needs cattle.

The only way you could prove market manipulation is if all the packers colluded and set the same price and you could prove it.

Then you would have solid evidence of market manipulation and a PSA violation.

This "captive supply" conspiracy theory is absolutely bogus when so many other marketing alternatives are available.

Packer victims.........sheeeesh!

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Unless all the marketing options are offering the exact same price at the same time, there is no market manipulation.

If ibp lowers their price due to having most of their needs met, more than likely there is a packer out there that still needs cattle.

The only way you could prove market manipulation is if all the packers colluded and set the same price and you could prove it.

Then you would have solid evidence of market manipulation and a PSA violation.

This "captive supply" conspiracy theory is absolutely bogus when so many other marketing alternatives are available.

Packer victims.........sheeeesh!

~SH~

That is just your own interpretation. If the cash market was treated differently for cattle that was to be delivered at the same time with the same quality characteristics, you could easily show that this type of transaction lowered the prices in the cattle market and was a slide down the supply curve. The jury believed Taylor did that. Your argument is that there is a time difference between the two and that it is just a reflection of the market moving. It would be the market moving down the supply curve and hence a sign of market manipulation. If prices other than the cash market prices were based on the cash market then the case gets stronger. It is up to Tyson/IBP to show that there were REAL reasons for this difference. You have offered up the reason that these price differentials were based on real value differences, yet there are at least two years out of the data where the captive supply did not get a premium. If your argument was correct, there would not be these times where captive supply was lower than cash prices. Your argument changes, however, depending on what you want to "prove", just like your boxed beef prices argument you lost on the Canadian example.

I might believe you if your arguments did not change to fit the example you use.

[/quote]If ibp lowers their price due to having most of their needs met, more than likely there is a packer out there that still needs cattle.
Market movers can not use this argument and tie prices to the market they are thinning. Just doesn't hold water. If Tyson paid on captive supply grid pricing on last week's price, why would they not do the same pricing on this week's cash market? After all, they want the lowest price.

As I said before, the real way to check this out is if you had the grid pricing structure and compared that to what they were offering on the cash market. There should be no differences between the two unless they were trying to stay out of the cash market to lower it. Your quote above is no excuse for paying less in the cash market. It just does not hold water.

Kindergarten: "Your argument is that there is a time difference between the two and that it is just a reflection of the market moving. It would be the market moving down the supply curve and hence a sign of market manipulation."

Lowering your prices as your needs are met is not market manipulation.

Kindergarten: "It is up to Tyson/IBP to show that there were REAL reasons for this difference."

Wrong! It is up to the plaintiffs to show that there wasn't real reasons for the differences.

The presumption of innocense, REMEMBER?

Kindergarten: "You have offered up the reason that these price differentials were based on real value differences, yet there are at least two years out of the data where the captive supply did not get a premium. If your argument was correct, there would not be these times where captive supply was lower than cash prices."

You are revealing your ignorance again.

Last week's cash price determines this week's formula price. If you don't believe me, believe OCM.

If last week's cash price is lower than this week's cash price, THE FORMULA PRICE WILL BE LOWER THAN THIS WEEK'S CASH PRICE.

Kindergarten: "Your argument changes, however, depending on what you want to "prove", just like your boxed beef prices argument you lost on the Canadian example."

If I was changing my arguments, the desperate packer blamers here would be having a feeding frenzy with it. Once again, talk is cheap!

My boxed beef argument has not changed.

If the U.S. found itself in a situation of having FAR MORE cattle than slaughter capacity, boxed beef prices would not be the driving factor for live cattle prices. Packer profitability would because there would be less competition for more cattle.

We are not in Canada's situation therefore boxed beef prices continues to be the primary driver in cattle prices.

kindergarten: "I might believe you if your arguments did not change to fit the example you use."

I don't care whether you believe me or not. Until you can prove me wrong or prove that my arguments have changed, your discrediting statements are meaningless.

Kindergarten: "If Tyson paid on captive supply grid pricing on last week's price, why would they not do the same pricing on this week's cash market? After all, they want the lowest price."

Two reasons:

1. They have to buy the cattle against their competitors who also need cattle to fill their slaughtering schedule. Mainly Swift, Excel, USPB, and Smithfield.

2. If captive supply base prices are not attractive, feeders will search for other marketing options including holding out for better prices. If an attractive price is not offered in either the cash market or the formula market, THERE IS NO SALE IN MANY SITUATIONS.

Kindergarten: "As I said before, the real way to check this out is if you had the grid pricing structure and compared that to what they were offering on the cash market. There should be no differences between the two unless they were trying to stay out of the cash market to lower it."

YOU STILL DON'T GET IT!!

HOW CAN THEY STAY OUT OF THE CASH MARKET IF THEY NEED CATTLE??????

Normal supply and demand factors which drive boxed beef prices will affect cattle prices weekly. ASK ANY DAMN INTELLIGENT CATTLE FEEDER OUT THERE WHAT DRIVES LIVE CATTLE PRICES AND THEY WILL TELL YOU BOXED BEEF PRICES.

This week's boxed beef price may not be next week's boxed beef price which will pull live cattle prices higher or lower SO HOW CAN THE TWO PRICES BE THE SAME?

You don't know what the hell you are talking about.

When packers fill their needs with formula cattle, their price will fall accordingly.

~SH~

SH, "When packers fill their needs with formula cattle, their price will fall accordingly."

And what will happen to the price for the contracted cattle that have the price tied to the spot market?

Sandman: "And what will happen to the price for the contracted cattle that have the price tied to the spot market?"

Forward contracts are tied to the futures market, not the cash market.

If you are talking about "FORMULA CATTLE", they are tied to the cash market but buyers have the cash market and other packers as marketing alternatives to formula pricing.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE PRICE, FIND ANOTHER!

Hello?

NOBODY IS TIED TO A SPECIFIC MARKET!

If your stupid market manipulation conspiracy theories had any validity THE MARKETS WOULD NEVER MOVE!

The fact that the markets move (60% in the last year alone) proves this stupid market manipulation theory is totally worthless.

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Sandman: "And what will happen to the price for the contracted cattle that have the price tied to the spot market?"

Forward contracts are tied to the futures market, not the cash market.

If you are talking about "FORMULA CATTLE", they are tied to the cash market but buyers have the cash market and other packers as marketing alternatives to formula pricing.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE PRICE, FIND ANOTHER!

Hello?

NOBODY IS TIED TO A SPECIFIC MARKET!

If your stupid market manipulation conspiracy theories had any validity THE MARKETS WOULD NEVER MOVE!

The fact that the markets move (60% in the last year alone) proves this stupid market manipulation theory is totally worthless.

~SH~

No, SH, that 60% movement is no proof that there was not market manipulation. When the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market they ran up the price of silver. Silver prices did go back down, but it did not mean that the Hunt brothers did not artificially run the market up. They just pushed up on the demand for a period of time through their buying. Market manipulation is usually a short term phenomena. Increases in prices after a period of price supression is to be expected. No one said that the packers control completely the buying of cattle. They just control it a whole lot with their market power and their captive supply.

You are getting confused with the hot air you let out and reality. The thinning of the cash market has led to the supression of the total price of cattle. Even Dr. Azzam and the court agrees that there is a negaitive correlation between the captive supplies and price.

Kindergarten: "No one said that the packers control completely the buying of cattle. They just control it a whole lot with their market power and their captive supply."

Keep repeating that over and over and over perhaps someday you'll actually convince yourself that you don't have to prove that allegation in a court of law and all you have to do is say it to earn a conviction.

YOU GOT NOTHING!

Kindergarten: "The thinning of the cash market has led to the supression of the total price of cattle. Even Dr. Azzam and the court agrees that there is a negaitive correlation between the captive supplies and price."

The fact that there is times when the captive supply price is lower than the cash price shatters this argument.

Dropping your price to reflect your needs is not market manipulation.

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Kindergarten: "No one said that the packers control completely the buying of cattle. They just control it a whole lot with their market power and their captive supply."

Keep repeating that over and over and over perhaps someday you'll actually convince yourself that you don't have to prove that allegation in a court of law and all you have to do is say it to earn a conviction.

YOU GOT NOTHING!

~SH~

It was proven. 12 jurors believed Pickett. I am sure the other side had people as articulate as you claim to be but you are equally uncredible. That is what 12 people said. What evidence do you have that they were wrong except a "nuts" explanation?

What is the circumference of a circle with radius=2?

What was the proof of market manipulation Kindergarten?

Nothing else matters!

~SH~

~SH~ said:

Nothing else matters!

~SH~

Pickett saw it and so did the jurors. Taylor proved it not with theories, but with mathematical analysis of the evidence obtained through discovery. I am sorry the math is just too hard for you.

What is the circumference of a circle when radius=2?

Econ101 said:
~SH~ said:

Nothing else matters!

~SH~

Pickett saw it and so did the jurors. Taylor proved it not with theories, but with mathematical analysis of the evidence obtained through discovery. I am sorry the math is just too hard for you.

He provided a conclusion that he failed to test for validity. I suppose now you are going to try to convince readers that per Daubert theories that are advanced do not have to be validated. I think it is quite clear that validation is required and your boy failed to test for validity. As such, his conclusion is unsupported and totally meaningless. That is what the court saw independent of what the jurors may have thought they knew. I am sorry you do not know enough facts regarding this case to understand that.

If someone says 2+2 = 5 are we supposed to accept that or should that conclusion be tested for validity? As you say, it is kinda simple math!!

agman said:
Econ101 said:
~SH~ said:

Nothing else matters!

~SH~

He provided a conclusion that he failed to test for validity. I suppose now you are going to try to convince readers that per Daubert theories that are advanced do not have to be validated. I think it is quite clear that validation is required and your boy failed to test for validity. As such, his conclusion is unsupported and totally meaningless. That is what the court saw independent of what the jurors may have thought they knew. I am sorry you do not know enough facts regarding this case to understand that.

If someone says 2+2 = 5 are we supposed to accept that or should that conclusion be tested for validity? As you say, it is kinda simple math!!

If that is your answer, you fail the Daubert test. Do you want to try again?

What is the circumference of a circle with radius=2?

Latest posts