• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hail Damaged Corn

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WVGenetics

Reaction score
Had a really sharp line of storms move through early last evening, dumped 3 and 1/4 inches of rain in 3 hours. Washed out roads pretty bad but the worse part was the hail. It really tore up our corn, beat part of the leaves off and cut up the rest real bad. I've never had this happed before. Will the corn be able to survive or should I pull out the chopper?

It's what fits your operation... Carter says if you will get rain whats left will be okay.... Your yeilds will be hurt, but corn should be good money this fall... Can you use silage?? Cut some and see what happens.... We're cutting silage right now no corn on the plants and what did have corn was poorly filled.... But we are drier than a popcorn fart.

katrina said:
It's what fits your operation... Carter says if you will get rain whats left will be okay.... Your yeilds will be hurt, but corn should be good money this fall... Can you use silage?? Cut some and see what happens.... We're cutting silage right now no corn on the plants and what did have corn was poorly filled.... But we are drier than a popcorn fart.

Thanks, Katrina. I guess I should have said but it was silage corn anyway. I feel for you all and how dry you are. We were getting there about 3 weeks ago but have since got 3-4 inches...thank the Lord! That is...before last evenings deluge which really doesn't count since most of it ran off anyway.

We were getting 1" to 1.5" per week all March and April then we got 1.7" on my birthday 2nd May

Nothing till the 19th of July when we got 0.4"

The only upside is I was able to come back with no insurance in 1983 and again in 1988 - - - with the insurance we have been paying in I hope to survive again!

The local weather men are saying 1934, 1936, 1983 and 1988 are the only times we have had it this bad. What scare me is if these come in 2s are we in for another in a couple more years?

Me I'd gamble and see if it makes ears near 50% of the yield is in the cob kernels and husk, leaves on a corn plant look impressive but don't yield much.

Run that chopper hard and fast. What do you do when the next storm pops up and blows it all down? Just my .02

Watch for smut on it also,sometimes after being hailed the ears will get full of smut

Latest posts