• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

halter-breaking calves

Help Support Ranchers.net:

don't overlook tying calf with secure halter and healthy lead rope to a healthy post, in between the post and the short tied halter rope use a innertube from tire. Double it to shorten and strengthen it. It will flex as youngster approaches and does some gentle grooming. You don't want to "pull" that head down too hard and fast. Get acquainted with tying a Bolen knot, so you can untie calf rope.

we just go with the pressure and release and end the session on apositive note. our twelve year old took over completely after i put the halter on the heifer in the trailer. it takes some time on ranch calves but after they come around it's there for good. last year's project was haltered in the field this winter and loaded to be brought home to keep this year's project company.

Now who was the lucky recipient of that semen_I'll be down in the next week or so for a visit-was going to stop last Friday on way to kindersley but the roads were crap.

i wish i could get on here more "real-time" but i can't, so.. we might try the rope/inner-tube. but what do you use to tie off the inner tube? we have abunch of it, but to go between the tube and the rope? and i might be pretty clueless, but i DO know how to tie a quick-release knot when tying animals.

What Rancher wrote was the deal. Thing is to give immediatd relief when colt/calf gives the slightest. Works the same way teaching a colt to drop his gead into a bridal. ALSO, the process of immediately gratifying a colt for giving is waht makes good hands. I've taught colts to lead by a back foot just for something to do, and its easy if you do as Rancher suggests.

If you want to really put a nice handle ona colt/calf, put it in a box stall and lead it to water a couple times a day. tHIS ALSO MAKES THEM EASIER TO CATCH.

i'm really getting some good ideas from you all; i'm thinking of a combination of stuff that's workable with the facilities i have (and "facilities" is a fancy word for what i'm workin' with :) ).

NOW, all you smart people, how do you get an almost 13 yr-old to listen to your "older and wiser" , "been there and done that" line? it kind of works with the dog, because i have, but the calves...??

is letting her learn by her mistakes and take the consequences, which we already started on last year, the only way? i do want her to be successful, but would like to figure out a way to "encourage" her to at least TRY some of my (your) suggestions!!!! if nothing else, i don't have too much of a problem with letting her learn the hard way--i'd just like to spare her some!

BTW--had her read this thread last night-maybe she'll listen to you, if not me :lol:

Chuckie, everyone has to develope what works for them. What they like and don't like. Hard knocks is a great teacher. The thing about 4h is this is her canvass - her picture to paint. Freedom to succeed also is freedom to struggle -we learn from both success and strife. My kids are younger so I'm a bit green, but I think I want to save my political capitol for getting my kids to listen about drugs, fast cars/women, character, effort. 4H is great because it teaches life's lessons; withdraw abit and let 4H teach. If clyde the 4H steer gets to abusing your daughter, your suggestions may be better received.

you're right brad, and i know this and so does she (to a certain extent-after she did a poor job showing her dog last year, she came up to me and said "Mom, next year i'll listen to you more"). it's just like we both have to re-learn our roles every year, just the re-learning process shortens up some for both of us (hopefully :roll: )

at any rate, posting here, and having HER read the various ideas will give her not only a different way of approaching the problem, but they don't come from ME--a plus in any teenager's eyes, right? :) ( i do LOVE these emoticons!)

so thanks everyone, and if any of you think of anything to add, feel free--i WILL have her check, to take advantage of all the experience here. lol

I would just ask her if she switched places with the animal how would she feel and how would she want to be treated. Sometimes experience is the best teacher, but sure hard on mom and dad. The big thing is for them to learn from the experience and be a big enough person to admit they were wrong. A few baby steps today and climbing a mountain tomorrow, patience is all it takes with a soft hand.

you people are good. right now i have TWO almost 13-yr olds giggling in the other room about "hot" guys, etc...it's funny, when i was 12-13, boys were gross. kissing boys was gross, and i had NO clue as to procreation (shall we say.. :) ). at any rate, i'm going to have her check this thread tomorrow afternoon when her friend is gone and she can concentrate... :D

i REALLY appreciate all the input! THANKS from the "wilds of nebraska".

I thought girls were hot at that age, problem was all the girls thought boys were gross and forget about kissing. Ahhh to be young again, all the heart breaks of love between the 6th and 8th grade. Wait until they are in high school, then the troubles begin. :D

I recently bought my son an 8 month old longhorn bull calf. When we placed him in a squeeze chute and haltered him the first time he was fine then when we tried to lead him to his pen he broke lose. Later he broke loose again when he ran through a gate and I grabbed the lead rope. Is breaking him to lead hopeless now? He is too large for me to handle and my son is too small for him. We just bought him and I can't afford any mules or special training. Help.... :???:

We have been halter breaking calves for years. First as a youngster showing calves and lately when we sell stock show calves. If we halter break them we get more money! :wink: I have found what works great is to halter the steer using a halter with a detachable lead rope. Then we catch and lead the calf to water daily. By around the 4th or 5th day they know what to do! Then the key is to catch and work with them DAILY! even just taking them to water and scratching them with a show stick or comb. Once they figure out people mean nice things, they are broke and easy to work with. Good luck!

My wife used the truck to halter break her calf when she was in school, but the truck got few more dents from her wild thing. I used the donkey and mule method and they put a few dents in my calf but she was more than happy to me after them. :wink:

alabama said:
I saw a show on RFDTV a while back on Halter breaking. They put the calf in a small pin and just kept workinh him for an hour or so till they could put hands on him. After several days they had him in a halter and leading. They said tieing just gave the calf a sore nose. It may have been one of the older "The Cattle show." Good Luck
I saw this show too.Looked to me like you need to have a lot of time on your hands.
I have had some success tying them up ,getting them used to having people working close to them and leading them back and forth to water a couple of times a day.
That being said, I also believe there is no set way that will work for every animal.......

Halter breaking calves is what started my donkey enterprise. 8) We started with a jack, and he worked very well. Problem was it didn't happen until the boys were in their last year of 4H, so afterwards I had an unemployed hormonally challenged bored donkey on my hands. Then came the jennies, and so it began.

We made a harness out of old round baler belt, and attached a saddle D ring to the side. To keep it from pulling off, we made a breast strap for it as well. It worked just fine, but boy, old Buster didn't like it much. He did, however keep the calves in line, and they learned real quick that following was the easiest way to go. Those donkeys lock their knees, and you ain't movin' em. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Before we got the donkey, we used to do it much like a lot of people here have said. One thing I would add is that, especially if you're working with smaller kids, you must NEVER LET THE CALF GET AWAY! Once they learn that little trick, it's really hard to stop. When it was time for the boys to lead them alone, we'd put an extra halter with a longer rope on the calf, and just tag along as the safety net. Then if the calf bolted, they didn't get away with it. You get a lot of leverage with a fifteen foot rope, so they got a big surprise when they hit the end of Dad's line. :D :D :D

And I agree, if you're going to get a really unruly one, it'll be a heifer every time.

Latest posts