• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hanging Tree dogs?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Yanuck

Reaction score
We use Catahoula/heeler cross dogs, thinking about a Hanging Tree dog to cross our dogs with. Wondered if they were agressive/tough enough?
Thoughts/comments/experiences????

Hooks said:
We use Catahoula/heeler cross dogs

dang girl, why not just use a pit-bull :wink: :shock:

have to be kid friendly! we've thought about breeding them back heeler, but don't want to lose the leg out of them with all the hills and sage brush. Looked at some curs last night online...anyone know anything about them?

I watched a demonstration on those hangin' tree dogs & they were pretty impressive, but the handler said that they were either working or they were kenneled-up! Not sure if he meant that as a personal choice or they were a problem when yall didn't want them to work :???:
What about a McNab or English Shepard?

Yanuck said:
We use Catahoula/heeler cross dogs, thinking about a Hanging Tree dog to cross our dogs with. Wondered if they were agressive/tough enough?
Thoughts/comments/experiences????

I to am looking my border collie was/is about to have pups and she went off somewhere last monday have'nt seen her since I don't know if she's in a den somewhere or dead.

I was at a Rodeo this weekend and a friend of a friend had a Hanging Tree dog there she was a year old and he'd just gotten her a month ago seamed friendly enough and listened well he did keep her on a leash when unattended.

He works at a sale barn pushing cattle to the ring sounds like she needs to learn to open gates because in that situation she does all the other work. Was a neat dog to look at and was built pretty strong looking with good bone and enough muscle.She sure had a commanding bark.

I've got a dog training video from Charlie Trayer from Kansas it has the dogs working they are impressive. I know alot of guy's hate dog's and the reason for that is they never had one worth owning.My border collie was'nt great at any one thing but she did alot of thing's good. I will miss her if she does'nt return and won't hesitate to start another one. My son just bought some ewe's so we've got training animals for a pup.

If you search hanging tree stockdogs there's info to be found. Heard they cost $500 and up for pups.I would be willing to spend that on one.

Hooks said:
I watched a demonstration on those hangin' tree dogs & they were pretty impressive, but the handler said that they were either working or they were kenneled-up! Not sure if he meant that as a personal choice or they were a problem when yall didn't want them to work :???:

Any working dog is best kenneled they have a need to work even when knowone is watching which is'nt good preventive caution. I know when I was a kid we had coonhounds and the only time they were let loose was for some excercise and you had to watch them or they'd go tree something.They were alot of fun I should get a couple again my youngest son is a real go getter I bet coon hunting at midnight would get him excited.

Denny said:
Hooks said:

Any working dog is best kenneled they have a need to work even when knowone is watching which is'nt good preventive caution. I know when I was a kid we had coonhounds and the only time they were let loose was for some excercise and you had to watch them or they'd go tree something.They were alot of fun I should get a couple again my youngest son is a real go getter I bet coon hunting at midnight would get him excited.

Get a Catahoula then you can gather cow, tree coons and hunt hogs. :D

Denny.. I searched here on Ranchers last night and we looked at some of the websites from breeders people had suggested, the one from Dillion in particular. We also have the dogs kenneled unless they're working or out for exercise, the ranch is right on the edge of town, and there are too many "do-gooders" that will pick up a what they think is a stray and take them to the shelter. Griz fell off the truck one time and before Jay could get turned around with the truck and trailer, he had been picked up, that was a $50 touch! :x
How tall was the dog your friend had?

Hooks I
I'll look at those 2 breeds you said

thanks guys

About 17-18 years ago Gary Ericson came to this country to put on a
clinic and I saw several of his original Hanging Tree Dogs. He worked
all of them with a shock collar and they didn't seem to have much of
an "off switch". I sure liked the solid build and short hair, but didn't care
too much for all of the barking.

I was raised with Catahoulas, and I have had Aussies, Heelers, and
Border Collies. I think I will stay with the "cowdog" bred Border Collies.
I can move all my cows, pairs included and can also take the same dogs
and pen and work my ewes. I expect a dog to bite both ends and be
tough enough to handle my cows, but I also need a dog that can stop
when asked and that I can live with when there is no work.

I guess it depends on what you need a dog for. If I were gathering outside
cattle for a sale barn or working unbroke or swamp cattle I probably would
have a couple of Catahoulas and a couple of Border Collies. For my own
dog-broke cows and sheep I have not found anything I like better than
the Border Collies. Just my opinion.

Lane

Yanuck said:
Denny.. I searched here on Ranchers last night and we looked at some of the websites from breeders people had suggested, the one from Dillion in particular. We also have the dogs kenneled unless they're working or out for exercise, the ranch is right on the edge of town, and there are too many "do-gooders" that will pick up a what they think is a stray and take them to the shelter. Griz fell off the truck one time and before Jay could get turned around with the truck and trailer, he had been picked up, that was a $50 touch! :x
How tall was the dog your friend had?

Hooks I
I'll look at those 2 breeds you said

thanks guys

He had 2 Blue healers and she was a touch bigger in hieght.The barking I could do without because my old dog never barked unless we were working cows.

go to mikles cowdog forum, lots of hangin tree breeders on there that can guide you. also try Marvin Pierce of Pierce stockdogs, he crosses them with cattlemasters.

TWOROPES said:
Come to texas and get a good set of blackmouth curs.

Texas is on the list of places to go someday :) do you use curs Tworopes? give me some dirt on them?

I like the Australian Kelpie dog, I have a Red Collie/Kelpie Cross right now and will likely breed her back to a Heeler.

Huntaway makes a great cross with Kelpie. We used them many years ago on a ranch I was working at, and they proved to be very honest, hard working, and tough.

Latest posts