• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Happy New Years

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Thank you, Big Muddy. Hope everybody has a healthy and prosperous 2020.

And a happy, if slightly late, New Year to all! We had a great week-end, with a visit from our dau. and son-in-law here from Omaha for a few days, and, with their help I even managed to feed quite a crowd of family at least once and smaller groups other times during the week. I wonder where that talent went...I used to fix meals for several extra's, and last minute, un-expected guests fit right in, no problem. It's a little harder, or I'm a little slower these days...maybe I'm just getting intimidated by that number '80' floating about in my mind when thinking of my birthday next summer!

We have a gloomy looking sky today, and a bit of a breeze, but most of our 4-6" of snow has evaporated and lots of grass is waving in the breeze. Thirty one degrees at 8:AM. Couldn't aske for much better weather in Jan.! A good one for vaccinating calves! We do have a barn set up to work cattle in, which gives us options when weather doesn't cooperate, and makes SD winter less of a problem when planning cattle work. With the calf lot only about a half mile away, the calves could probably make that trip by themselves if they could open the gates! Such improvements, and good, home raised help make it possible for a '1936 model' cowboy to continue doing what he wants.....most of the time! He can still put on lots of miles moving cattle and checking on them horseback, so life is good!

We are waiting for our 'not quite due' new great-grand daughter to arrive, so lots of fun for us continuing into the New Year. She will join two sisters, ages 8 and 5, so will get lots of attention! Even better, they live only a quarter mile or so over the hill from us! The younger sister did make that walk with only the dog for company once, by-passing my house and going another half mile to her grandma's house, stating when questioned why she did that without asking her mother, stated "Beans (the dog) wanted to go, so I went with him. I believe she was told "the next time he asks you to go somewhere, tell him to ask your parents"...….or words to that effect!!!

This "good life" is soon to get even busier! When school starts our grandson (dad of the little girls) who coaches basketball, will have games, and the girls who are on the Midland Tumblers Team, will start having performances (with a different school). I asked the 5 year old, who is a little small for her age, if she is still the littlest tumbler, and she said "maybe". Looks like we could meet ourselves coming and going from here to there, and beyond! It will seem like a slower pace when we actually head south in Feb. to attend NCBA meeting in San Antonio and wander around Texas on a slow trip back home, stopping at many of the museums between here and there! Has anyone been to the Cowboy Hall of Fame in OKCity? I think we have never been within 200 miles of it without detouring to go through it again, and never been disappointed!

mrj

Latest posts