• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hard feelings in South Dakota

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
My 19 year old son is on a custom combining crew. Yesterday near Blunt SD he was wearing a white tee shirt with a small "I Love Canadian Beef " over where the shirt pocket would be. The farmer told him that if he wore that shirt tomorrow he wouldn't be cutting for him.
After all the flaunting and promotion R-CALF does I thought it a bit ironic that a young man wearing a tee shirt could raise such ire. :cowboy:

Big Muddy rancher said:
My 19 year old son is on a custom combining crew. Yesterday near Blunt SD he was wearing a white tee shirt with a small "I :heart:Canadian Beef " over where the shirt pocket would be. The farmer told hom that if he wore that shirt tomorrow he wouldn't be cutting for him.
After all the flaunting and promotion R-CALF does I thought it a bit ironic that a young man wearing a tee shirt could raise such ire. :cowboy:

When in Rome...................................

I don't begrudge your son for his support of the Canadian industry nor the right to express himself. But it was a couple of weeks back that every Canadian producer posting on here was going to boycott Pfizer.

People are going to stick with and support their ideals no matter where they are located.

My uncle was on the local co-op board quite a few years ago. They also sold Purina feed on the side. My uncle showed up at a meeting wearing a give-away Mueller's Feed jacket, and one of the other board members got downright irate. :)

I don't begrudge the farmer his rights to stand up for what he wants to . Lord knows I have. Just find it strange that he uses a Canadian crew to cut for him then makes such a fuss about a tee shirt. Funny thing is my son is the only US citizen on the crew he just was raised in Canada.

I wouldn't wear a Denver Broncos jersey into the LA Raiders stadium unless I was looking for a confrontation so I wouldn't be too alarmed if your son was given a little bit of a hard time.

BMR, I can see the irony in the situation now. Have a good one.

The Farmer in SD needs to worry about the real issues in the world. I hope the Farmer in SD is bigger than your son!!!!!!!!!
AS FOR OPENING THE CANADIAN BORDER.....the market is up on the Western Video Sale today!!!!!!!!!!!!! What happened to the market crash when the border opened?????????????????????????? Oh I know...WVM gets better cattle than the other Video companies!!! I suppose that is what the R-Calfers are going to say....Hell it might be true! :roll:

CattleCo said:
The Farmer in SD needs to worry about the real issues in the world. I hope the Farmer in SD is bigger than your son!!!!!!!!!
AS FOR OPENING THE CANADIAN BORDER.....the market is up on the Western Video Sale today!!!!!!!!!!!!! What happened to the market crash when the border opened?????????????????????????? Oh I know...WVM gets better cattle than the other Video companies!!! I suppose that is what the R-Calfers are going to say....Hell it might be true! :roll:

Be aware that "No Sales" are are showing up a these types of auctions. Don't get carried too away with the reported prices.

agman said:
CattleCo said:

Be aware that "No Sales" are are showing up a these types of auctions. Don't get carried too away with the reported prices.

Agman, what are you saying here? It reads to me like maybe the sales price listed may actually have been the final bid, then the cattle were "no sale-ed", so that "price" is fictional. Is that the deal?

We have said "no sale" on video auction, but believe they were called exactly that way, and the last bid was not claimed as the sale price. Maybe different auction companies handle that differently.

Hanky-panky in a cattle auction????? Haven't we been told that doesn't happen????

BTW, why would we be surprised if there is some market fluctuation aftrer this ruling? With LMA/OCM/and friends on the losing side, maybe they will try to show us why we in opposition to their fearmongering using health scares as cover for their protectionism should not oppose the marketers.

MRJ

BMR: "My 19 year old son is on a custom combining crew. Yesterday near Blunt SD he was wearing a white tee shirt with a small "I Love Canadian Beef " over where the shirt pocket would be. The farmer told him that if he wore that shirt tomorrow he wouldn't be cutting for him."

Sounds like a typical overly emotional R-CULTer to me.

He should have pointed out the Canadian genetics in his herd and told the guy to quarantine them because they could be "high risk".

~SH~

Agman,
I would say SLA had more no sales than WVM. Remember when the market is high video sales do well , but when the market "tanks" video sales really suffer in getting the cattle sold. I remember a consignor on SLA last week NO SALES a group of very average 450 steers for a buck fifty??? :roll: I will bet he will take less for those critters at the livestock market this fall. Not because of the live sale, but because they were not of top quality! :roll: The critters bring what their worth and if you have REPUTATION CATTLE you can sell them on E-BAY and they will bring a good ticket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe that loser farmer in SD should grow up. What a childish, pathetic thing to do. He's lucky that there is a Canadian combining crew to do his shitty crop. If I was the owner of that outfit, I would have told the asshole to combine his own crop and shove his attitude where the sun don't shine.
Then watch the 'big man' change his tune.

redriver said:
Maybe that loser farmer in SD should grow up. What a childish, pathetic thing to do. He's lucky that there is a Canadian combining crew to do his shitty crop. If I was the owner of that outfit, I would have told the asshole to combine his own crop and shove his attitude where the sun don't shine.
Then watch the 'big man' change his tune.

You should harvest and market your own cattle out of YOUR own seaports but that wont happen either.This attitude you have is so anti-american but you'll sure take the money Why?

Your cattle are no better or worse than my own but you guys sure blow how they are truth is the rancher was out of line BUT I would'nt where a R-CALF shirt to a Canadian Ranch think about that....

Of course I'm not an R-CALF member but you will ass-ume that I am reread most of your post then go look in the mirror no thats not a cracked mirror thats your reflection. :shock: :shock:

If I had been their and it was your place I would have told him to just pull out as I would like to see you bind and thresh your own crop.

By the way could you explain how Canadian combiners are subsidized?

What forced this SD farmer to hire Canadian. If he has such high principals would he have not hired American in the first place?

Denny,
Geez, maybe you should have gone to school! I could hardly understand your post with all the spelling mistakes and ridiculous grammar.

beentheredonethat said:
I think it's terrible that any US rancher would hire a Canuck Crew anyway. There are plenty of US crews willing to do the job. The thing is the Canuck crews come in and undercut the US harvesters. Fine bunch of people the Canucks are. I would bind and thrash all my wheat before I'd let a over subsidized Canuck crew on my place.

First, there are not enough "US crews willing to do the job"
Second, how do you know that Canadian crews undercut US crews?
Third, we haven't used 'binders' since the 1920's. Do american farmers still use them?

"I would bind and thrash all my wheat before I'd let a over subsidized Canuck crew on my place" What wheat? It's obvious you're not even a farmer! Moron.

Beenthereblamedthat: "I think it's terrible that any US rancher would hire a Canuck Crew anyway. There are plenty of US crews willing to do the job. The thing is the Canuck crews come in and undercut the US harvesters. Fine bunch of people the Canucks are. I would bind and thrash all my wheat before I'd let a over subsidized Canuck crew on my place."

That's good to know!

I'll hire them and watch as you bind and thrash your wheat while you cry in your beer about Canadian imports because your afraid of competition.

~SH~

Big Muddy rancher said:
I don't begrudge the farmer his rights to stand up for what he wants to . Lord knows I have. Just find it strange that he uses a Canadian crew to cut for him then makes such a fuss about a tee shirt. Funny thing is my son is the only US citizen on the crew he just was raised in Canada.

A bit ironic dont you think? The farmer hires a Canadian crew to cut for him (obviously pleased with the job they are doing) but he doesnt want his neighbours to know where his crew is from? Kind of like buying Canadian beef steaks and serving them to your US friends at a BBQ without them knowing. I laughed my head off when i read this.

CJS

Latest posts